Sous Vide Chuck Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sous Vide Chuck Video

I threw together a video of a Sous Vide Cook, it's actually two cooks pieced together.
    I whole heartedly apologize for it being 6 minutes, I had over an hour of footage and found it near impossible to get it under 4 minutes (my goal).

Anyhow it shows some of the steps I use when Sous Vide cooking.

Just an FYI, I have been experimenting on Beef chuck's a lot lately and to be quite honest I can not like this piece of meat, to me, it always has a greasy taste and the only way I like it is cooked to death in a crock pot. And for the price... it's a total waste of hard earned money! however it is great in a stew.
    I have heard so many folks comparing it to prime Rib, well I'm calling BS... If you want prime rib, BUY PRIME RIB!

I done two cooks 134° for 56 hours and 137° for 48 hours, most of the pics are from the 137° cook. the 137° chuck was passable, the 134° chuck is ear marked for some Kick Ass Stew. Seems the lower temp I go, the greasier it tastes. None of the meat was mushy and had a good texture, especially the 137°.

I have tried pre sear, no sear, spices, no spices, different temps, different cook times, heavy post sear, light post sear, the only part I have thoroughly enjoyed has been the crust from the sear. I don't even like this meat on the Pit!! Beef Chuck is a great ingredient not a steak... there I said it, now I feel better.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pZz78uWGezw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

But Squwib, how do you feel about chucks? C'mon, now, tell us how you really feel.

I jut tried my first rump roast Sous Vide, I wanted to try a chuck but the rump was actually cheaper. It was pretty tender, tasted good and all, the crust was awesome with the post sear, but I just don't see getting that piece of the cow to taste and chew like prime rib. I'll keep playing with the rumps because it did turn out very tasty, but like you said, when we want prime rib, we're probably going to buy prime rib.
    Last edited by frog1369; 01-26-2015, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Nicely done!
      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
      Yoder Wichita
      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Great Video, SQWIB !!!

I gotta agree with you----If you want Prime Rib, get Prime Rib.

That's why I make my Chuckies low & slow like I make my Pork Butts, and I make my Prime Rib Med-Rare Pink from Bark to Bark with 4 to 5 hours of Smoke.

I never even thought about doing a Med-Rare Chucky. All we ever did was Crock Pot them until I got my smoker.

Getting White Down There Neighbor???

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by frog1369 View Post
          But Squwib, how do you feel about chucks? C'mon, now, tell us how you really feel.

I jut tried my first rump roast Sous Vide, I wanted to try a chuck but the rump was actually cheaper. It was pretty tender, tasted good and all, the crust was awesome with the post sear, but I just don't see getting that piece of the cow to taste and chew like prime rib. I'll keep playing with the rumps because it did turn out very tasty, but like you said, when we want prime rib, we're probably going to buy prime rib.

The texture is usualy really good but the flavor always has a greasy taste.
          I agree stick with the rump

Originally posted by Wingman View Post
          Nicely done!
          Thank you, I hope it wasn't too long.

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
          Great Video, SQWIB !!!

I gotta agree with you----If you want Prime Rib, get Prime Rib.

That's why I make my Chuckies low & slow like I make my Pork Butts, and I make my Prime Rib Med-Rare Pink from Bark to Bark with 4 to 5 hours of Smoke.

I never even thought about doing a Med-Rare Chucky. All we ever did was Crock Pot them until I got my smoker.

Getting White Down There Neighbor???

Bear
          The only chuckie I was real happy with was my Sloppy Joe Chuckie on the pit.
          Don't get me wrong the Chuckies are passable and have good texture Via Sous Vide but If I'm paying that kinda money for beef it had better be good especially the time that is put into when cooking Sous Vide. The last picture of the video, that meat was done at 137° and was actually pretty good with very little grease taste, but it's not consistent throughout the whole piece of meat.

Comment

How come I don't see a link to a video?

At low temps like 134-137 you're not going to get the fat rendering you get when you oven roast or braise. I've got short ribs in a 140 bath with a cook time of 72 hrs. It will not have the flaky texture of a traditional short rib. Will cut like steak. Certainly not your traditional short rib and not everyone's cup of tea

Comment

Love the video, I'll pass on the chuck.
              Primo oval xl, Weber22.5 kettle, 22.5 Weber proforma

Fat Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son!" Dean Wormer, Faber College 1962

Comment

Originally posted by scubadoo97 View Post
                How come I don't see a link to a video?

At low temps like 134-137 you're not going to get the fat rendering you get when you oven roast or braise. I've got short ribs in a 140 bath with a cook time of 72 hrs. It will not have the flaky texture of a traditional short rib. Will cut like steak. Certainly not your traditional short rib and not everyone's cup of tea
                Did you get the link?

try this

It actually did render fairly well

What do you thing about 142-145?

Comment

however it is great in a stew.
                  My main use for Chuck is for stew or chili meat. I have done a few low and slow for pulled beef and that was passable. And I still brown one occasionally, toss into the crock pot with a can of cream of mushroom soup, a bullion cube, a sliced onion, a cup of chardonnay and cook the crap out of it (Paula Dean recipe). Makes a killer gravy. But you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear as they say.

Gotta say, though, that final shot looked damn tasty.
                  Last edited by Snarlingiron; 01-27-2015, 10:47 AM.
                  A few of my favorite things:
                  Good Whiskey
                  Good Food
                  Bad Girls
                  sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                  Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by SQWIB View Post
                    Did you get the link?

try this

It actually did render fairly well

What do you thing about 142-145?

Got it now. Thanks.

The chuck looks good. Since it's a combination of muscles I like to separate them like you did. The texture looks good. Looks delicious all except for the stuff in the green can😷haha

It does not look under done at your current temps and texture looks good. Give it another go at the higher temps to see if it taste less greasy but that may just be a personal thing.

Comment

Originally posted by scubadoo97 View Post
                      Got it now. Thanks.

The chuck looks good. Since it's a combination of muscles I like to separate them like you did. The texture looks good. Looks delicious all except for the stuff in the green can😷haha

It does not look under done at your current temps and texture looks good. Give it another go at the higher temps to see if it taste less greasy but that may just be a personal thing.

Green Can?... I had to go back and look at the video, then I realized you mean the Parmesan, I kept thinking there's no green can in that video!

I'm gonna give it one more shot 48hrs @ 142°

Comment

Well I used the chuck for the only thing I like with this piece of meat.

Made a loaf of Pepperoni, Smoked provolone for the side.

I used all the trimmings and chuck from my last few Sous Vide cooks.
                        All the trimmings went into the crock for 24 hours
                        then the fat was ladled off, strained through a course strainer then a fine strainer, added back to the pot with gravy from the previous chucks.

Picked through the meat and shredded the trimmings to thicken the stew.
                        Added Carrots, Celery stalks, celery leaves, Peas, Onion, Crisped Bacon, butter, soy, sweet vermouth and cooked for a few hours.
                        My wife says, "that covers most of your food groups, Grain, Vegetable, Protein, then she joked and said all but dessert......

She should have never said that....
                        Chopped a cup of chunked pineapples and tossed them in there.

I let the scoutmaster know I was bringing the boys a hot meal and told him what I was making, he replied, "hey beer is in the food group" (I think I covered this with the vermouth)

Cooked some Barley in water, beef bullion and soy sauce just shy of the suggested cook time by 15 minutes then added to the stew.

Added some beef base powder, teaspoon of black pepper, a few dashes of hot sauce, tablespoon of fresh crushed garlic.

Chopped and added the SV chuck and top round to the stew, cooked a few hours.

Peeled and added the potatoes, cooked another hour, Thickened with a bit of Corn Starch then into the freezer

This is a stew I am making for the Boys on their Klondike this weekend.

It's pretty dam good, it passed the wife test and I'm sure the boys will appreciate a hot bowl of stew in below 20 weather, although by Saturday its supposed to be in the upper 30's, this may be a muddy mess.

Comment

Working...
                        X