The Search is On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Search is On

Old member, but been a while since I've posted.

Anyway, after a several years use of two UDS smokers, I'm looking for a commercial built product to replace both. One is a standard UDS for butts, brisket, ribs, etc. The other is just a drum, modified to be a gas fired open drum for smoking hanging sausages. Would like to do both operations in the same unit. BTW, gas burner is simply a small banjo burner off one of my fish cookers. Set it to low, under the drum and control it manually. It works....kinda......but temps fluctuate a lot.

What I'm looking for is a single unit with good heat control inside a range from around 150 for smoking sausage up to 250+ for butts etc, and set it and forget it simplicity. I had no idea pellet puffers had come so far so fast, but when you look at them, then seem to meet the temp control criteria. But most of them seem to be horizontal cookers. For hanging sausage, something more like a cabinet model seems to be the way to go.

The only one I've uncovered to date that resembles what I'm looking for is this one:

[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/store/Smokers_4/Fast-Eddys-by-Cookshack-Model-FEC100"]

Outside of the fact that it is twice as big as I need, that is out of my budget. For half that, I can get the smallest Spice Cabinet:

http://spicewineironworks.com/smoker-models/

But charcoal and stick burners don't have the fill-er-up set it and forget it simplicity of the pellet puffer. I also don't know how easy/difficult it would be to throttle one of those back to 160 for the several hours it takes to smoke sausage.

I happen to be local to the Spice guys (was there yesterday in fact to buy some steel) and asked them about pellet puffers. Response was, "they are simple and do maintain temps for a long time, but some say the flavor isn't there and they are mechanical, so they are prone to breakdowns". My guess is the latter might be true for the first generation smokers from Traeger, etc, but would not be an issue with Yoder. As for the smoke flavor, I think with supplemental smoke from an a-maze-n smoke generator, that can be whupped. One thing I've not seen discussed much is the cost of the wood pellets. If it takes 20 pounds to do an all day smoke, two of those is about the same cost as a full fill on a 20# propane tank......or maybe 40 pounds of charcoal.

Third question is with charcoal cabinet smokers, most seem to have a substantial water pan in them. Seems to serve two functions. First is to catch the drippings, and second is they add moisture, which I understand helps with getting a good smoke ring. Horizontals, and that includes all the pellet puffers, don't seem to have water pans at all. Why is that?

A lot of questions. Any suggestions? (shooting myself is not an option)

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36987

MES might be the ticket ??
    Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
    Weber 22.5" WSM
    Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
    Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
    Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
    Weber Smokey Joe
    GMG Daniel Boone
    Pit Barrel Cooker
    Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
    6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
    Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
    The Vortex

Comment

For the money, being able to do hanging sausage and low and slow smokes, the MES electric may fill the bill. I noticed a 40" at Sams yesterday for $299.

Pellet smokers are pretty efficient when used for low temps. When you crank it up for grilling they can burn up some pellets. I own a GMG and have used it for just about everything from sausage to pizza. I will admit the smoke flavor is lacking, even when I use an additional smoke generator.
      sigpic
      GMG Daniel Boone
      UDS
      Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
      Vision Kamado grill
      Weber Genesis Silver
      Smokin Tex
      MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
      Maverick ET 732
      Brown and lime green ThermaPens
      2 orange ThermoPops
      A-Maze-N Tube 18"
      A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
      Vortex

Comment

Good suggestions. Had not considered electric. Was perusing some of the other smoker categories on this forum and ran across a reference to the Smokein-It.

http://www.smokin-it.com/Smoker_p/smkmdl3.htm

That looks promising. Although small, it appears to be a quality build, which is what I'm looking for. Hopefully something made in USA. What happens to the smoke? What is the damper situation? I don't see any. Otherwise, looks to be a really well built unit that would compete with the stuff sausagemaker sells, but at a very competitive price.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/smokehou...atsmokers.aspx

Otherwise, looks like most of the really serious built smokers are intended for the competition guys, which I understand means wood, charcoal or pellets. Gas and electrics being outlawed on the competition circuits. Or so I hear. Since I'm not competing, and only want high quality stuff the table, I should leave gas and electric in the mix.

Comment

Find yourself an old electric or propane stove with oven, get the utilities figured out near your shed or garage, and toss a couple of AMPS inside. You get a thermostatically controlled pellet oven, at a much lower cost than a Yoder.
          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Ya would you consider building your own? Fridge conversions work well.

Comment

I'll be gettin one o these before its all over,,,
              for winters...

Smoke Hollow Pro Series LP Gas Smoker - 44"

$250
              http://www.samsclub.com/sams/smoke-h...navAction=push
              ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
              ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Originally posted by THUMPERRRR View Post
                I'll be gettin one o these before its all over,,,
                for winters...

$250
                http://www.samsclub.com/sams/smoke-h...navAction=push
                Will that thing throttle down to 150-160? From what I've read, hard to get most gas smokers below 200, so OK for the big smokes, but too hot for sausage.

Comment

Wife and I have a homemade smoker we converted from a commercial stainless steel fridge. It is fueled with propane, thermostatically controlled from 95º to 240º, has a self igniting pilot light for safety and uses either a maze or tube smoker for making jerky, sausage, bacon, etc. The components are not inexpensive, but the end result is much more smoker than you can get in a manufactured smoker for the same money.
                  --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                  www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
                    Wife and I have a homemade smoker we converted from a commercial stainless steel fridge. It is fueled with propane, thermostatically controlled from 95º to 240º, has a self igniting pilot light for safety and uses either a maze or tube smoker for making jerky, sausage, bacon, etc. The components are not inexpensive, but the end result is much more smoker than you can get in a manufactured smoker for the same money.
                    Can you provide a few more details? Photos?

I know a guy who services commercial refrigeration units and I suspect he could come up with several of these a week, so finding a cabinet would not be an issue. Not sure what happens to all the deadn's now, but converting them all to smokers might be a way to re-purpose them. Almost all of them are well built, stainless cabinets, tight doors, etc. Pull the refrigeration equipment, install some drafts and a flue and off you go!

Comment

Originally posted by hog warden View Post
                      . Pull the refrigeration equipment, install some drafts and a flue and off you go!
                      Having done this..it's not that easy..depending on the insulation type. That insulation is not typically designed to handle heat. And it's a PITA to deal with getting it out.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Foam insulation vs. fiberglass batts? I can see where that would be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by hog warden View Post
                          Foam insulation vs. fiberglass batts? I can see where that would be a problem.
                          If you can find an old heated proofing/holding cabinet, or alto sham oven, much of the issues will be resolved...
                          Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Working...
                          X