2015 Bourbon and Whiskey - Memorable ones for others to try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Bourbon and Whiskey - Memorable ones for others to try

I thought I would start a running thread for 2015 Bourbon and Whiskey finds that you would recommend to others. I an a relative newbie at Bourbon and Whiskey but I find the complexity of some and the way that the flavor blossoms in other quite interesting. I don't drink a lot, but I enjoy sampling them against another to taste the subtle (and at times not so subtle) differences. I have a bunch of open bottles in my cabinet and I may have to set a "do not exceed limit" of say 15 open bottles (subject to further review by me )

If you have a bourbon or whiskey that you find or are passionate about, I ask that you add to this thread. The liquor store I go to has SO MANY different bottles...if you have one that you are passionate about, I guarantee I will look at it and maybe grab one of my very own.

I started with a trip to Costco on the Missouri side (they have alcohol while Kansas does not). The downtown Kansas City Costco is the #2 Costco in their chain for Liquor sales...the guy that oversees the department is proud of this fact). Here is a Costco in a bad neighborhood in the inner city, and it blows out more liquor than all but one other store (apparently in the Chicago area the guy told me.)

I found a bourbon that I haven't seen before...Larceny. 1.75 Liter bottle for 36 bucks. I didn't buy it. When I came home I looked it up and the reviews were all over the place...some good, some less favorable. There were a few that left more of an impression on me due to the way they were written and they just seemed more legitimate. The next weekend I went down and bought 2 of these...one for me and one for Richtee.

This is a wheated bourbon like Maker's Mark. The one thing that I notice with this one is that it is thin on the front end...and then really blossoms from the back of your throat forward. It is SUPER smooth...Mrs. Engineer really likes this one. I find that I drink this in multiple small sips...the first one the flavor blossoms back to front, and then additional sips just adds to the excellent taste. at $36 for a 1.75 I really like this one.

After I posted my 2014 list, Tex put up a photo of one he liked...a George Dickel Whiskey. I was talking about different distilleries, and Mrs. Engineer (who's father grew up in Tennessee) mentioned George Dickel...I brought up the recommendation that Tex made. Well, wouldn't you know that Mrs. Engineer came home with this as an early Valentines Day Gift.

This is the exact one that Tex posted! This one is not subtle...at all. It is a bold sipper with a ton of flavor. Mrs. Engineer paid ~$40.00 for this...she likes the Larceny better and for me it's a toss up...they are quite different in their profiles...I like them both for different reasons. The Dickel has more wood notes. It hits you in the face with flavor from the nose on this one to the finish with a warmth that makes you want more. If you are looking for a bold sipper then this one is highly recommended.

I haven't broken the seal on this one yet, but I'll post a pic of it...it is waiting in the wings once I finish enjoying these other two for a while. It is a higher alcohol single barrel Knob Creek that I found. I was only 7 bucks more than the regular knob creek, and to me that sounded like it might be a good use of 7 bucks. I hope I'm right!
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

I'll be on board with this thread. A nice sipping strong bourbon is great in the wintertime, and Old Grand Dad is a longtime favorite here. In warmer weather or even all year around I like Jim Beam's Red Stag chilled, especially the cinnamon flavored. Anxious to see what others enjoy.
    Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
    My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
    @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

I was offered 3 fingers of Booker's at a Holiday party. This is an exceptionally good whiskey. It is very strong, but very smooth. It is the epitome of sipping whiskey. If you can afford it(out of my price range) serve it neat and savor.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
        If you have a bourbon or whiskey that you find or are passionate about, I ask that you add to this thread. The liquor store I go to has SO MANY different bottles...if you have one that you are passionate about, I guarantee I will look at it and maybe grab one of my very own.
        Here's on that was given to me this year. I'm no whiskey aficionado by any stretch of the imagination, but I did enjoy it a lot. (but I will talk home brewing and fine beers with you all night long.) I was given the blended whiskey but they also sell a straight bourbon that I'm told is pretty tasty.
        http://www.frdistilling.com/whiskeys/1
        Kent [sigpic

Lang 36" Patio
        GMG Daniel Boone
        Husker Red UDS V.2014
        22" Black Weber Kettle V.1988
        40" MES V. 2
        British Racing Green Thermapen w/Glow-in-the-dark silicone boot!
        Thermapen Smoke

Comment

Gotta say..the Larceny's impressed me more and more. Perhaps drinking habits stilt the numbers. I'll have 3-4 drinks, and the Larceny suits me better than the Dickel. However.. for a snort of quality and back to the day..the Dickel is a rich and complex taste.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Ducked doesn't do it for me anymore! It had a weird almost buttery taste that is rather off putting! Smh

Comment

I hear guys praising larceny ask the time. I bought it twice in 2013 because of the $10.00 manufacturer's rebate, but forgot to send it in both times! Lol! I was fairly new to Bourbon at the time. I found it to be decent, but not great!

As far as my taste goes, I'm not a fan of regular Maker's Mark either! My favorite wheater is Weller 12yr reserve.

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
                I was offered 3 fingers of Booker's at a Holiday party. This is an exceptionally good whiskey. It is very strong, but very smooth. It is the epitome of sipping whiskey. If you can afford it(out of my price range) serve it neat and savor.

I'll definitely look this up...the place I go has a whole aisle of bourbon and whiskey and a separate aisle for canadian and scotch, with the high dollar stuff on a separate area by the registers. This is touted as the best that Beam has to offer...I'd like to have a sip and try it. When I was at a Christmas party this year they had Knob Creek...I enjoyed that (had not had that before either)...that's what gave me the idea for the 120 proof single barrel Knob Creek above.

Originally posted by Courser View Post
                Here's on that was given to me this year. I'm no whiskey aficionado by any stretch of the imagination, but I did enjoy it a lot. (but I will talk home brewing and fine beers with you all night long.) I was given the blended whiskey but they also sell a straight bourbon that I'm told is pretty tasty.
                http://www.frdistilling.com/whiskeys/1
                Thanks for the addition Kent. I visited their website and it is pretty cool...a Texas Distillery. It would be interesting to try this once it is in their bottles...the high Texas heat during aging could be either good or bad...I'm gonna keep an eye out for it for sure. Their straight bourbon was barreled in March of 2015 and they expect that some may be bottled sometime in 2015. I'm pretty sure the higher temp storage may reduce the aging requirement some...it would be interesting to try it.

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                Gotta say..the Larceny's impressed me more and more. Perhaps drinking habits stilt the numbers. I'll have 3-4 drinks, and the Larceny suits me better than the Dickel. However.. for a snort of quality and back to the day..the Dickel is a rich and complex taste.
                Rich, I agree with your assesesment...I have quite a few bottles easily available on my bar area...I find that I have been going to the Larceny. It doesn't have a quick hit, but more of a finisher with a nice long linger to it. The Dickel is a bit more harsh with woodsy notes and even a bit of smoky charcoal in there as well. For less money for almost twice the amount, I'd buy the Larceny in a head to head quality - VS - value competition. Mrs. Engineer can pick it out in a blind test with several others from my stash...and prefers it over most. Her initial taste went something like this...Drink...OHHhhhh I like that!

Originally posted by eccj View Post
                My favorite wheater is Weller 12yr reserve.
                I have heard good things about the weller 12 yr. I'll try this somethyme this year for sure.
                Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 02-01-2015, 08:35 AM.
                BBQ Eng.

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Currently, my favorite

http://www.buffalotracedistillery.co.../buffalo-trace
                  sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

I am not much of a brown liqueur aficionado, but I do like Knob Creek, and Jack Daniels Single Barrel...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Picked up a bottle of this, drank about half tonight. Nice sipping and smooth.

Pretty good for an Iowan product little expensive for me $39 but I was in a mood for something different. I like it better than knob creek. Next on the list to try is from Cut Spike distillery. Made in Omaha next door to my favorite beer lucky bucket.
                      sigpic

Comment

This is one of my favorites, and one that I always recommend for those beginning to "get into bourbon." It is mild with an almost citrusy note. A very easy sipper for first timers, and a most pleasant one for those of us with a bit more experience.

A few of my favorite things:
                        Good Whiskey
                        Good Food
                        Bad Girls
                        sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                        Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

The Good and the Bad....

I have had this bottle of Knob Creek for several weeks, and I wanted to try it against another barrel strength offering to compare and contrast the two.

I found this one today, so I thought I would give them a try.

This is a contrast of good and bad...The knob creek weighed in at $38.00 and the Stagg Jr. was $49.95. I first tried them both neet...the high alcohol masked some flavors so I floated a giant sphere ice cube in a glass with a small splash of water to tame the ethanol. This was interesting as the Knob creek opened up more and produced more subtle flavors...the Stagg Jr. just lost some of the burn and the small palette that this began with withered to something that was really undrinkable. The Stagg is pepper and oak. There is little balance, and no caramel or sweetness of any kind. One review I read called it a medicinal taste, and I have to agree.

The Knob Creek on the other hand is a rich robust sip with a hearty finish and a bit of heat. This one sits in a sweet spot and is one that I would recommend. It is readily available and only 7 bux more than the regular version.

The Stagg is something that I may have to dispose of properly...I don't want this to count against my self imposed 15 open bottle limit. Seriously, don't waste your money.

On Edit: The Stagg Jr has SERIOUSLY improved with age after opening and allowing some air into the bottle...check out the update in post #101 on Page 6 of this thread. I would consider buying this opening it and setting it aside for six months or so while it blossomed...it is really nice.
                          Last edited by BBQ Engineer; 05-13-2016, 07:17 AM.
                          BBQ Eng.

Comment

Perhaps a batch of apple/bourbon BBQ sauce Dana.

Sigh... so sad. When I open the bar back up I know not to try that one. Thanks, bro.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Good stuff Dana. Thought Knob Creek was ok, kinda strong. Maybe the cube and water shot?

For whatever reason, I like Jim Beam...... Where can I take it from that point?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X