food danger zone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• food danger zone

I came across a post on the net where a person had done a low and slow cook on a pork butt and it was 10 hours before the Pork Butt had reached 140F. Is that OK?
    sigpic
    GMG Daniel Boone
    UDS
    Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
    Vision Kamado grill
    Weber Genesis Silver
    Smokin Tex
    MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
    Maverick ET 732
    Brown and lime green ThermaPens
    2 orange ThermoPops
    A-Maze-N Tube 18"
    A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
    Vortex

Originally posted by zombini View Post
    I came across a post on the net where a person had done a low and slow cook on a pork butt and it was 10 hours before the Pork Butt had reached 140F. Is that OK?
    I guess how long did it take the surface of the meat to get to 140... did they poke the thermo in prior to 140?? then yes there could be some big trouble..

4 hours to 140 for me!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

If it is unpunctured as in not injected or not poked with a temp probe whole muscle meat then only the outer 1/2" must be above 140° in 4 hours. Or rather should not have cumulative exposure between 40° and 140° for more than 4 hours.

Or as of 2009, 41° to 134°

Originally posted by bbally View Post
      Biggest Change, the danger zone is now 41 F to 134 F verses the old.
      If it was injected or poked with a temp probe then the rule applies to the internal temp.

Dave
      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
      UDS 1.0
      Afterburner
      Weber Performer
      Blue Thermapen
      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
      Auber Smoker Controller
      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
      -
      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

After 6 hours the internal was 110. . So a good rule to follow is get to 134 in 4 hours and this applies to all meats? It's hard to say if the meat has been poked or probed. I used to always probe from the start but after hanging out here I wait.
        sigpic
        GMG Daniel Boone
        UDS
        Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
        Vision Kamado grill
        Weber Genesis Silver
        Smokin Tex
        MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
        Maverick ET 732
        2 orange ThermoPops
        A-Maze-N Tube 18"
        A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
        Vortex

Comment

Something for all to think about.

10.5 % of all beef you buy are already mechanically pierced:

"---According to the US Food Safety and Inspection Service, about 10.5 percent of steaks are subjected to a process called mechanical or needle tenderization, where metal blades or pins repeatedly puncture the meat before packaging. -----"

No labeling is required for the above.

dcarch

Comment

After 6 hours the internal was 110. . So a good rule to follow is get to 134 in 4 hours and this applies to all meats? It's hard to say if the meat has been poked or probed. I used to always probe from the start but after hanging out here I wait.
            You don't really need to care about temps outa the gate. Let it go a few hours on the big hunks.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

***DISCLAIMER***
              The following is just my opinion. An opinion that has been formed by reading what others who know a lot more about food safety than I do have written on this and other forums that I have been a member of. I am not an expert and do not represent myself as such. There are certain "norms" that most forum members adhere to and that is to err on the side of caution when it comes to food safety. There have been some rousing, um, er, "discussions" when it comes to food safety on the forum and some of them have degenerated into more than just friendly discussions.

Okay,

It is likely a good rule and applies to all uncured meats to my knowledge. Again, unpunctured whole muscle we're talking about the outer shell. Probed, injected, or ground we're talking about internal.

I used to probe from the beginning as well until I learned a little more. Now I don't probe til probably 4 or 5 hours into a brisket or pork butt smoke. And before I insert the probe, I'll wipe it down with a Clorox wipe.

As far as the "needle tenderization" that's kind of scary when you're talking sous vide I would think depending on the cook time.

Dave
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
                -------As far as the "needle tenderization" that's kind of scary when you're talking sous vide I would think depending on the cook time.

Dave
                It is important to put things in perspective.

Bad news -10.5 % of the beef you buy are punctured by "needle tenderization" without your knowledge.

Good news - about 5 deaths are reported to link to those beef in 10 years.

Good news? Well, Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including an estimated 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. In 10 years, that would be 4,800,000 deaths. And cigarettes are still legal.

How scary is sticking a probe in your meat? It is up to you to find meaning in the above numbers.

dcarch

Comment

Hey DC..wanna bum a smoke?
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by dcarch View Post
                    It is important to put things in perspective.

Bad news -10.5 % of the beef you buy are punctured by "needle tenderization" without your knowledge.

Good news - about 5 deaths are reported to link to those beef in 10 years.
                    Not bad odds.

I'm sure all of the other stuff I eat has a higher chance of killing me than one of those steaks.

Dave
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

Yup----Actually 41° to 134° in no longer than 4 hours if seal was broken. However "40 to 140 in 4" is easier to remember.

And if someone says it was 110° after 6 hours, we know it was probed. We just don't know when.

Bear
                      Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                      Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Lets say my temperature is in the danger zone longer than 4 hours and then I continue to smoke or cook until 200 F. Does this kill the bacteria making it safe to eat or are the little bad guys still running around in the meat?
                        z
                        sigpic
                        GMG Daniel Boone
                        UDS
                        Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                        Vision Kamado grill
                        Weber Genesis Silver
                        Smokin Tex
                        MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                        Maverick ET 732
                        2 orange ThermoPops
                        A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                        A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                        Vortex

Comment

Lets say my temperature is in the danger zone longer than 4 hours and then I continue to smoke or cook until 200 F. Does this kill the bacteria making it safe to eat or are the little bad guys still running around in the meat?
                          z

It is my understanding that the high heat later in the smoke kills the bacteria, but high heat doesn't kill the toxins that were formed by the bacteria earlier in the smoke.

I'm sure someone can explain that better.

Bear
                          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

So finishing the cook doesn't necessarily make it safe to eat...ok thanks
                            sigpic
                            GMG Daniel Boone
                            UDS
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                            Vision Kamado grill
                            Weber Genesis Silver
                            Smokin Tex
                            MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                            Maverick ET 732
                            2 orange ThermoPops
                            A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                            A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                            Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                              It is my understanding that the high heat later in the smoke kills the bacteria, but high heat doesn't kill the toxins that were formed by the bacteria earlier in the smoke.
                              So finishing the cook doesn't necessarily make it safe to eat...ok thanks
                              that's explained just fine. The bacteria themselves are not the problem so much as their... err... excrement. To be polite about it

Comment

Working...
                              X