Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sausage help, please - I think it's all good, but....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sausage help, please - I think it's all good, but....

Alright, to make a long story short, I made 5 pounds of sausage, stuffed it into hog casings. My curing agent is TQ, which has both nitrite and nitrate in it.

I hung (hanged?) the sausages in the front porch (which is closed off for winter in north Montana and quite chilly). I meant for it to be there over-night, but it was several days. I'm currently cold-smoking the sausage over oak and will then bring it to 152.

Question is, will it be alright? Seems to me that it should be, since it is cured and has been cold - even freezing at times. The hanging that it has been doing these few days is no different than the hanging it would be doing after smoking, and the nitrate in the TQ should keep it from spoiling. I can't think of any reason why there should be a problem.

At present, it seems fine - I'll check it after smoking and heating too, of course - but thoughts and comments are welcome.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Sounds good to me, you be fine as far as I know.

PBC Drum Smoker
    Bradley Digital 4 Rack
    THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
    Miss Piggy Smoker
    Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

I do have question??? Why are you cold smoking and than bring it to 152? Why not hot smoke and stop at 152? Just asking and wondering?

PBC Drum Smoker
      Bradley Digital 4 Rack
      Miss Piggy Smoker

Comment

I would like to see the recipe. I am curious about the nitrate and how it is used.

As I recall either cure does not work at temps below 32.

Comment

Hi, Devo - and thanks for the reply.

The reason for the cold smoke is partially to get a long, 12-hour smoke into the sausage - much in the Old-World style - and partially because my current setup (an AMNPS outside for smoke followed by my oven inside for heat) is the best means that I have to get the job done with maximum efficiency and minimum hassle. I'm looking at getting an MES so as to do both at once, but for now....
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
            I would like to see the recipe. I am curious about the nitrate and how it is used.

It really does not matter if there is cure in or not for smoking at that temp, its all about the 152 he wants to bring it to if there is cure.

PBC Drum Smoker
            Bradley Digital 4 Rack
            Miss Piggy Smoker

Comment

Hey, Nick - here's the recipe, it's for Rich's Hungarian kolbasz:

For 5 Pounds:

2.5 tablespoons (7.5 teaspoons) Tender Quick
              2 tablespoons (6 teaspoons) good Hungarian paprika
              1.75 tablespoons (5.25 teaspoons) freshly-ground black pepper
              1.75 tablespoons (5.25 teaspoons) granulated garlic (or equivalent fresh garlic steeped in water)
              1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) powdered onion (or equivalent fresh onion steeped in water)
              Optional: Scant 1/2-tablespoon (1.25 teaspoons) additional salt
              The actual curing was done in the refrigerator - I moved it to the front porch mostly to do some drying before smoking, once the cure had finished. As for the nitrate, it is simply part of TQ's formula; those with more experience can explain it better than I can, but my understanding is that it is like a slower, time-released curing process for long-term curing and charcuterie projects.
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Sorry should have read more thoroughly, your using TQ (which contains both nitrate and nitrite. I just saw nitrate and thought it was strange. I use cure 1 instead of TQ for this type of sausage.

I think your OK. A long smoke will be interesting.

Comment

A long smoke will be interesting.
                  I used it on my Slovak sausage, with good success. But the Slovaks said it should be several days, not simply 12 hours!
                  Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

I love talking to some of older folks that are still around the town I grew up in that can tell me about the "smoke house" in the back yard.

Comment

Yeah... or slows down alot. But..the meat's already cured, and since it was not heated, it's still got cure in it. Soo as temos rise so dose cure activity. And 32 and below..the bogs don't grow either.

But, it was likely cured before it even got cased.

EG: Yer fine.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Yep....I'm thinking along the same line as Rich. I would not worry about it a bit Ron...can't wait to hear what you think of the recipe.
                        sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Thank you, gents - I all but knew that this was the case, based on what I've read and learned; however, it was a new situation, for me - especially with the dark-brown colour of the slightly-shriveled links. This of course makes perfect sense, given the lack of heat and the drying that had taken place, but seeing it is different than knowing about it, and while my brain said "It's fine, you old ninny!" the little devil on my shoulder kept saying, "Aye, but what if???"

The smoke finished sometime in the early morning hours - It was a relatively cold smoke, especially in this weather, so I left them to hang and will heat them to 152 when I get home from work this evening. This is much the same as last time, so I've been down this road before, and am expecting good things.

Thanks again to all!

Ron
                          Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 02-09-2015, 11:28 AM.
                          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Sounding good!!:
                            sigpic
                            GMG Daniel Boone
                            UDS
                            Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                            Vision Kamado grill
                            Weber Genesis Silver
                            Smokin Tex
                            MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                            Maverick ET 732
                            Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                            2 orange ThermoPops
                            A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                            A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                            Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                              Yeah... or slows down alot. But..the meat's already cured, and since it was not heated, it's still got cure in it. Soo as temos rise so dose cure activity. And 32 and below..the bogs don't grow either.

But, it was likely cured before it even got cased.

EG: Yer fine.
                              I'm just guppy but that was my thinking as well.

I put my sausage out in the garage overnight...slightly above freezing and it all turned out good.

Comment

Working...
                              X