OK, lets talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, lets talk

I have been on nights and had difficulty a bit here. Still on nights, life is good (bonus pay etc, nights sucks) So few posts.

Question. Got a High Mountain jerky kit for XMAS. Made up to 15 lbs. I made 5 lbs. No I used the proper amount, hehe. It said lay out the jerky you want to make, mix the proper amount of seasonings, and use the included stupid shaker to shake the right amount of flavor/cure on 5 LBS on perfectly sliced top round. How much friggin big of counter space do you need to sprinkle on 5 lbs of 1/4" jerky? Geeze.

What? So I added 1/2 cup of water, 1/2 cup of Kikoman soy (have to use it, Kikoman is the King, I grew up in Hawaii), and 1 TBS of SMITTIES HOT).

I'm gonna let it sit for 18 hours, not 24, so it should be fine to smoke/dehydrate. In 4 hrs it had fully absorbed all the mix, no liquid left, they mentioned 24 hrs to let it mix for 1/4" meat.

What the heck, sprinkle perfectly with no water, none at all? In 4 hours the water/mix was fully absorbed when I did a remix to make sure. Why not just add a cup of water to the mix to make sure it's well blended?

I don't get it, why are the instructions so odd? Make the cure spices mix with 1 cup of water. Add to meat. In a smart way, lay out the pieces in a bowl, bit at a time, add a bit of the jerky mix, swirl, add more meat, swirl again, it's a funny word, SWIRL!! say it then feel stoopid, then gently hand mix till ready for the bag.
    Last edited by Conumdrum; 02-13-2015, 02:50 AM.

Yeah... that is on the dumb side. Granted any liquid you do add has gotta come back out...

I use 1 cup/5 pounds. Don't even bother hand mixing. Put the meat in a gallon Zippie and toss and turn for a couple mins. Burp the bag tight and off to the fridge for 24 or so hours... kneading the bag a few times during.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Pretty much that's what I did. Your right, it it wetter so it'll take longer to dry. No worries, time I have, it's a nice 3 day weekend for me. 4 hrs getting smoke low 100f temps in my MES, then no smoke for 4 hrs, then on to the indoor dehydrator to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Conumdrum View Post
        mix the proper amount of seasonings, and use the included stupid shaker to shake the right amount of flavor/cure on 5 LBS on perfectly sliced top round.
        Yeah, I tried that once.

Now I just use Rich's jerky kit.

Much easier.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I've used Hi Mountain jerky cures for years. Always turns out awesome! Just follow the instructions. Lay down Saran wrap or similar on your countertop when seasoning, then toss it. Stack/layer the pieces in a Zip Lock bag with as much air removed as you can. Wait, then smoke/cook/dehydrate, whatever your choice of process is. Bulletproof. As good, or better, than anything I've bought in the meat shops
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X