First time cheese smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time cheese smoke

Today seemed like a great day to try smoking some cheese. I knew my vertical gasser couldn't get cool enough, despite the single digit temps here in Wisconsin. I put my hot plate in the smoker and voila, temps consistently below 80*. Used cherry chips and apple chunks. Surprisingly the chips still caught on fire, even with the burner on low. I will stick to chunks next smoke. Ended up smoking foe about 3.5 hours since I had to start over with a new burn plate after the fire.

I smoked some Colby, white cheddar, Swiss, and pepper jack, and plan on letting it sit for about two weeks. Is it recommended to remove the rind befor eating?

No just eat it...
    Two weeks can be an awful long wait
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
      No just eat it...
      Two weeks can be an awful long wait
      X2

It seems to mellow, but I rarely make it 2 weeks.... Typically smoke a smaller chunk and throw it in a zip bag... Then test every couple days or so. If your smoke tastes strong, or bitter, it may mellow oot with thyme....

Looks good!m
      sigpic

Comment

Good luck on that waiting... hard to do!! Looks good!!
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I'll cut it smaller next time. We'll see how long the family can wait :)

Comment

Originally posted by fadetoblack51 View Post
            Yeah I'll cut it smaller next time. We'll see how long the family can wait :)
            I should have edited my first post, but meant.... I plan on the majority (95%) of the cheese to be vac packed and stored in the fridge for at least 2 weeks. The other 5% is a taste tester ... Just me, some like it right after smoking and cooling.
            sigpic

Comment

That cheese looks great. I have to fight with my wife and son over the end cut.

HK91

Comment

I will tell you the longer you wait the better it will be. My standard is at least a month. You did over 3 hours of smoke and thats a lot of smoke. Nothing worst than biting into a piece of smoked cheese and it tastes like a cigarette butt.
                I let mine cool/dry on the counter over night as you will get moisture drops on your cheese and than vac seal the next day. Do not freeze smoked cheese, it becomes brittle/crumbly. Find a spot in your fridge and just foprget about it till you want some.

PBC Drum Smoker
                Bradley Digital 4 Rack
                THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
                Miss Piggy Smoker
                Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

I might be alone here but I never smoke cheese for more than one hour...
                  And if Im shredding it to use in a cooking situation I see no need to wait two weeks...Slicing for eating straight up...Let it rest...
                  But that's just me...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

If you go to eat it right out of the smoker make sure someone takes a picture of it when you bite into it.

PBC Drum Smoker
                    Bradley Digital 4 Rack
                    THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
                    Miss Piggy Smoker
                    Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

Comment

And another just me thing. I let it cool down completely, then vac-pack with 2 kinds in each bag. I mark the bags with what's inside, throw to the back of the basement fridge and it'll keep for months. I do about 5 lbs every Spring and 5 more in the Fall. And as far as the waiting thing, it tastes good when still warm, a week later, a month later and 3 or 4 months later. But again, just another me thing.
                      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by devo View Post
                        if you go to eat it right out of the smoker make sure someone takes a picture of it when you bite into it.

👍

Comment

Working...
                        X