Dial Thermo for Center Grate Temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dial Thermo for Center Grate Temp

I finally got around to installing the deep fryer thermometer in the side of UDS 1.0a so that I don't have to do the temp conversion anymore.

Here it is with its original thermometer -- a Teltru BQ300 with 3" stem.

Nice thermometer but the stem isn't long enough to measure the center grate temp so I always had to add (by my observation anyway) 50° to 70° and also wasn't much help when the drum was warming up.

Got a 3/4" bolt to cover the existing hole and had a buddy who owns a fab shop drill it out for me.

Here's the bolt installed.

Covers the hole nicely.

A shot from the inside.

And the thermo in place with the grate on.

Thermo slides in and out in so it doesn't get in the way of the charcoal basket and the long bolt supports it so it doesn't need any other support from the inside.

Doesn't look quite as nice as the Teltru, but I'll use it this way for awhile.

If Teltru ever makes a smoker therm with a 12" stem, I'll be all over it.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Sweet Dave. I like the bolt w/hole drilled through the center. Nice job.

Tom

Comment

Ah ha! I'll have to remember the bolt for my UDS. Nice work!
      ~Phillip

"Okay Hunny, so my hobby is collecting other hobbies. Atleast I'm well rounded!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
        Sweet Dave. I like the bolt w/hole drilled through the center. Nice job.
        Originally posted by ptt49er View Post
        Ah ha! I'll have to remember the bolt for my UDS. Nice work!
        Thanks. You could get by with a smaller bolt but I had the original thermo hole to fill.

Dave
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        -

Comment

Nicely done Dave, you guys are sooo handy!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

That is one sweet setup bud. Neat idea. Kudos
            ---------------------------------------------------
            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            KCBS CBJ

Comment

I have been thinking about installing one in mine but always thought it would be in the way when removing the lower grate or charcoal basket. I like you method since it still makes for easy removal of the thermo. Nice work
              KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by wutang View Post
                I have been thinking about installing one in mine but always thought it would be in the way when removing the lower grate or charcoal basket. I like you method since it still makes for easy removal of the thermo. Nice work
                Thanks. I got the idea from the BBQ Brethren. In fact, I think Bubba has been doing his this way for awhile. Where is Bubba anyway??

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                Nicely done Dave, you guys are sooo handy!
                Well, thanks Kelly but I don't know about that. A friend with a fab shop is a friend indeed.

I can't weld or do any of the really fancy stuff like Zeeker or many of the others on here but I'm okay with a drill, pliers, wire, nuts and bolts, etc. Actually the whole UDS was no-weld except I had another friend tack-weld the intakes. But that wasn't really required. I do like to tinker with them though.

Dave
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                -

Comment

Thats a nicely done mod bro, although i really like my "easier to see" BQ 300!

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
                    Thats a nicely done mod bro, although i really like my "easier to see" BQ 300!
                    Well hey Bubba. Good to hear from ya. I thought you were using the fryer thermos. Anyway, I like the BQ300 better too. It looks better and it's easier for me to read since I am kind of near sighted. The Teltru is MUCH higher quality as well.

If you can locate a Teltru thermo with a 12" probe and a 3" dial, I'd buy it from you in a second.

And there is also the distinct possibility that I will get tired of the small dial on the fryer thermo after awhile and put the Teltru back on. Just shoot for 180° to 200° (on my drum it seems) after it warms up,and I'm good. But there's this little stickler thing that bugs me about not seeing the "actual" temp on the dial thermo. Maybe it's an "IT guy" thing.

Dave
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    -

Comment

Working...
                    X