cooking for a friends sons wedding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooking for a friends sons wedding

I only have to drop off: but it's for 50 people want pulled pork, mac&cheese, beans, rolls and collards. Here's what I'm thinking: 5 pork butts avg weight 8lbs, 2 large hotel pans of mac&cheese and beans, 100 rolls ..... not so sure about the collards as i've never cooked these for anyone. Probably 6-8 large sized cans? What do you folks think of the plan? Doug
    www.nopigleftbehind.com
    -----------------------------

Rich has told me in the past that you want about 1/3 of a pound of cooked meat per person, and that you get about a 60% yield on shoulders. Thus 50 X.333 = 16.65 pounds of cooked pork. 5 shoulders at 8 lbs is 40 lbs uncooked, or (40*.6) 24 pounds of pork. Since you don't want to run out, that seems like a reasonable amount of pork to me. That leaves some extra pork to mix in with the beans too, making everything better.

"two large hotel pans" of mac and cheese would largely depend on how thick you are piling the noodles in. This becomes more of a question of how many lbs of macaroni noodles you are cooking, and how are you making cheese sauce for them?

The same logic applies to the beans, though you can make them go further (and become more expensive) the more meat you add to them.

Any reason you need to do collards? Could you go with coleslaw and do a full BBQ traditional meal? :)

Comment

I figure 1/3 to 1/2 pound post cooked weight per person. if you go with the 1/3 then put meat at the end of the buffet line... let them fill the plate with pasta and beans..

Dutch's Wicked Beans (minus 1/2 the heat), a simple mac and cheese...if you want to go crazy crush up gold fish for the topping of the mac and cheese.. and I would push for the slaw... much easier to make..

What about bbq sauce.. you making or buying?? Rudy's clone work well or check out the sticky on the sauce page.. forget who posted it but it is real real good as well!!

Rolls.. again.. 1.25 rolls per person...

Good luck!! you be real busy! Hope you got a bunch of MHGP!!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Collards are easy to make, do a few quick searches. Collards in a can is like fresh oysters in a jar.... Yuck.

Comment

Justin Wilsons drunk collards...
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

sounds good.
            Collards ? with that menu Just seems weird and out of place.

Given that everything else is soft, a nice crunchy coleslaw would make a much better addition. And certainly a pp coleslaw roll is levels above one with greens and pp.

Make the pp nice and juicy and you don't need sauce. The mac-n-cheese and beans are you 'sauce'.
            There's nothing there that's dry enough to need any extra liquid.
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
            X