My new Yoder YS1500 gets dirty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Yoder YS1500 gets dirty

I took delivery of my brand spankin’ new YS1500 two weeks ago. Since then I’ve cooked four rounds of ribs, one lonely chicken and pastrami. I’ve done all the temperature measurements to learn where the hot and cool spots are and to generally find out how stable this thing is when actually cooking. The conclusion? Set your temp on the controller and quit worrying.

During the first two cooks I saw temperature swings as high as 40 degrees from set temp. These swings were always high. I’d have it set at 225 and see the grate temp go to 270. And then I realized something; those swings were always within the first two hours of the cook. I had an “aha” moment and took Yoder Herbs advice; when I fired it up I did so at 350 and only after I reached that temp would I put on my ribs, turn the temp down and start cooking. My thinking is that this thing is so damn big that at 225 it just takes a while to completely settle in.

When I did that, the swings essentially went away. Yeah you still get some, but only for a few minutes and then it stabilizes again. Nothing to worry about.

I found that on my cooker there is about 5-8 degrees difference in temp from left to right on the bottom grate and about the same on the top. The top grate settles in at about 10 degrees hotter than the main surface. I think this is truly exceptional and pretty much mitigates the need to rotate meat. Lots of times the temps were identical. The only hot spot I’ve found is the upper left near the fire box on the main grate and near the stack on the top.

Clean up is a snap and is much easier than my now gone YS640. Lift out the grates and the heat management plates and you’re in clean mode. The gunk on the heat management plates scrapes right off and the inside of the cooker is easy scrape and vacuum.

So how’s the food? In the words of Anthony Bourdain, “it does not suck.” I would say it cooks more gently than my YS640. The 640, (and my even older Traeger) tended to burn the ends of the ribs a bit unless I wrapped. The 1500 just chugs along and when those bits of pig are done, pull them off and get happy. I’d say it cooks them almost as well as my 500 gallon stick burner without any of the heat management problems of such large cooker.

Oh yeah, the bark is damn near perfect. I’m hoping that in the next 100 lbs. or so of pellets I’ll have the bark dialed in.

I cooked a chicken because my wife wanted chicken. Being the good husband and seeing that 98 cents a pound was a small price to pay for a dead bird, I obliged. I cook poultry at 275 to keep the moisture in the bird and at least for me, it works. It had beautiful color, perfectly moist and nice crispy skin. It was as good as my stick burner.

A delightful surprise was the smoke. No matter what temp I’m cooking there is always, always thin blue smoke coming out of that big fat stack. It’s a thing of beauty to watch and that wonderfulness ends up in your mouth. When the first racks of baby backs were finished I sliced one off, admired the color and texture for oh, about two seconds and took a bite.

The conversation with myself went a bit like this:

“Damn.”

“Damn.”

“This is some good sh*t.”

“This is some damn good sh*t.”

“In fact, this IS the sh*t.”

Is it worth the whopping four thousand dollars?

It depends. I’m 60 years old and have been barbecuing for 30 years. I’ve been chasing that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow trying to get my stuff to taste as good as that bbq joint that built their pit in the 20’s. A stick burner properly managed will get you there. I don’t have the energy or desire to stay up most of the night tending the fire on long cooks and like being able to relax a bit on the shorter ones. As involving and fun as tending the fire is, it got old. This cooker gets me to 95% or maybe a tad better to what a stick burner can do. For me it was worth the price of admission.

--Bob
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jzzmusician; 03-22-2015, 07:35 PM.
    Yoder YS1500
    500 Gallon home made rig

Some great looking ribs there!! sounds like you have it dialed in!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

purty ribs an smoker !!!!

Comment

oooo...weee...ya got that right nice! mercy! ...
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Great review, pics and ribs. Sweet cooker!
          sigpic

Comment

Pretty food and and a pretty cooker as well...very nice
            sigpic
            GMG Daniel Boone
            UDS
            Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
            Vision Kamado grill
            Weber Genesis Silver
            Smokin Tex
            MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
            Maverick ET 732
            Brown and lime green ThermaPens
            2 orange ThermoPops
            A-Maze-N Tube 18"
            A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
            Vortex

Comment

good write up!!!
              nice outfit man,,, thats real looker...
              some fine ribs there an
              great pics too!!!

posted this on the factory forum but it apparently didnt take...
              I dont think I am loved over there...
              ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
              ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Nice Yoder you got there. Those are some kick Ass looking ribs too!
                Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                Yoder Wichita
                Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

The 1500 is an impressive machine

Comment

That is one nice rig you got there. Looks pretty clean though, I thinnk you need to smoke some more meat in that thing.

And the ribs look delicious also.

Comment

Oh hell yeah! I would love a 1500... someday perhaps! For now my 640 will keep me going... but your post just makes me want to get one sooner! You certainly rocked that baby. Nice looking ribs there too!
                      Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                      Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                      A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                      A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                      Frogmats
                      Maverick ET 732
                      Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment