First try at Brat's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First try at Brat's

Trying to "GO LEAN" and still have my sausage.... Mixed results....I used 4# lean beef & 1# lean pork. Not too bad, but definately missing the pork fat, but still nice to grab one & throw on the grill for "finger food" during the game. I smoked 1 @ about 260* for an hour or so with Hickory that was better than the grilled one.
    Attached Files
    sigpic

They look darn good!
    Keith

Comment

Nice linking... Went the beef route eh? Never tried them that way..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Dang, looks great!
        If I could make Brats, I would be catipulted to rock star status around this house!
        Great job!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Beef route for something different & leaner. Definately makes a difference in taste & "juicyness" & not for the better, but still pretty good. Next time, I will "Jack the pork up"...
          sigpic

Comment

Good looking brats! I don't worry about lean anymore. There are too many other things out there that can kill you!
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I do not make my own sausage as yet.

but off the smoker is a taste way better then when I grill them. the boudins are wonderfull off the smoker and I don't think good off the grill at all..
              sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
              nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Now I use strictly pork butts. I roughly estimate a 80/20 ratio just from the fat in the butt. Its also the way I make breakfast sausage and you will have to add oil to fry it patty forms. I would try that your next batch and see what you think. Also I will add extra seasonings to kick up the flavor a little more. Say if I make a 7 lb batch I use a 10 lb ratio of seasonings but only a 7 lbs on the cure side. I was using Hi Mountain Brat kit and it was always to salty then I realized I was adding to much of there cure. For right now I suggest keeping a log of what your doing so when ya make changes you can follow the process. I also use people for taste testers and get there opinions til I find my happy medium.
                If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Wow those are some killer looking links there Bud...Kudos
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                  ---------------------------------------------------
                  KCBS CBJ

Comment

Nice...lean is different. May hafta try that! Ya done good!
                    Sunset Eagle Aviation
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Looks good from here. Nice job on the brats
                      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                        Beef route for something different & leaner. Definately makes a difference in taste & "juicyness" & not for the better, but still pretty good. Next time, I will "Jack the pork up"...
                        Yes...there really is no substitute. I have tried olive oil, and veggie oil. It helps, but nothing like a bit of good old fshioned rendering going on in there.

Look pretty well done, really. Nice linking, etc... bravo!
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Looks all good. I am goin to the butcher tomorrow for 10 lbs of pork trimmings.
                          sigpic

My Facebook page
                          http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Comment

I've not tried it yet, but I want to try chicken brats. I wonder if it would benefit you any to use lean chicken or turkey and still throw in some pork fat.
                            Whadaya think?

Tom

Comment

Chicken Brat's would probably ROCK....... I just got done linking some chicken sausage with roasted red peppers, onion, garlic, basil, salt, lemon pepper & lemon zest. inspired by T-H's WORLD FAMOUS Chicken & Sun Dried tomatoe sausage. I put a link on the grill about an hour ago & it Kicks Ass!... Loved it....... I have 4 in the MES right now that will be ready in about 1/2 an hour. I used thighs, breasts & some lean ground pork. I will try to post about it later. Loved it on the grill, not dry at all, really juicy!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X