Sausage Stuffer & Meat Grinder ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sausage Stuffer & Meat Grinder ?

For the "occasional" sausage maker, what would y'all recommend for equipment?.... Northern tool has a grinder/stuffer for about $60 that got good reviews & a 5# stuffer for $80 that looks pretty nice. I think meat grinders are about $100. Should I invest in the 1 "do it all" unit, or 2 components that cost more, but will make life easier? Just wanted some input. I currently have a "primitive" labor intensive system that works, but would like to get out of the Dark Ages......
    sigpic

I have been using there grinder for about 10 years now.. The 1000w.

Never had a issue with it.. It keeps on grinding..

Also I have the LEM 5lb. stuffer.. I wish I would not have spent what I did on it.. For 1/2 the price I could have had the 5lb. stuffer at Northern. The only difference is the LEM has metal gears and the other has hard nylon gears.. I purchased one for Smoke Doc xmas last year and he said no problems..

Some say they wish they had purchased the 15lb stuffer in lieu of the 5lb. I have no problems with refilling the stuffer.

So you can pay a little as 200 bones for a nice set up or drop 400-500 on one.. Its all relevant to how much you will be making, how often, and do you have the space to store the larger equipment ..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Thanks Ken. After more thought, I think I will be going the way of separate components. What manufacturer built your grinder?. God if I could get 10 years out of anything I would be amazed. The $60 for the 5# Northern tool stuffer seems like a pretty fair price. I have read that some of the people that have it have not had any problems with the nylon gears. One of the reasons I want to step up the equipment is to make your Chicken & Sun Dried Tomatoe Sausage!
      sigpic

Comment

TH, I've heard the stuffer option on the grinder is not the way to go. Your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
          Thanks Ken. After more thought, I think I will be going the way of separate components. What manufacturer built your grinder?. God if I could get 10 years out of anything I would be amazed. The $60 for the 5# Northern tool stuffer seems like a pretty fair price. I have read that some of the people that have it have not had any problems with the nylon gears. One of the reasons I want to step up the equipment is to make your Chicken & Sun Dried Tomatoe Sausage!

Im not sure, there was no manufactures name on it.. But hell even if it gave up the ghost today it cost me less than $10 a year. Not bad..

Originally posted by DINGLE View Post
          TH, I've heard the stuffer option on the grinder is not the way to go. Your thoughts?

You can use it, but it is a pain. The best way to use it is season all your meats and let rest in the frig over night for the flavors to meld. Then grind and stuff at the same time into casings..(I don't like doing it this way. I feel you will not get a consistent mix of the seasonings) That way you only have one grind.. Trying to get your meat through the grinder the second time with the stuffing attachment is a huge pain. You get blow by trying to push the ground meat down the grinder...
          Ken

Comment

That makes the decision real easy. I too am looking orward to trying your chicken sausage recipe.

Comment

[QUOTE=Texas-Hunter;49871]Im not sure, there was no manufactures name on it.. But hell even if it gave up the ghost today it cost me less than $10 a year. Not bad..

I could live with $10 a year also..... Do you remember where you got it? Or maybe someone here will recommend a grinder that will last a while. Thanks for all your input & help, it's appreciated.
              sigpic

Comment

fishawn

I have heard nothing but good about these.

you may want to check em out and others may have input also.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...ntId=cat602009

good luck.
                sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Now I have a little Oster meat grinder for close to 15 years and I have changed the cutting blade once. I paid like a $100. Now in my case I don't make a lot of sausage so it suits me fine. It has the stuffer ability but it was a royal pain by myself.
                  I also have a horizontal 5 lb stuffer. I paid way to much for it but its Italian stainless Steel if that means anything. lol At first I didn"t like but once I got used to it I can't be with out it. Only mistake I made with it was I let my wifes brother borrow it and he must have dropped it and knocked out of round. So he now gets all my old stuff I replace.
                  If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                  Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

[QUOTE=Fishawn;49876]
                    Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                    Im not sure, there was no manufactures name on it.. But hell even if it gave up the ghost today it cost me less than $10 a year. Not bad..

I could live with $10 a year also..... Do you remember where you got it? Or maybe someone here will recommend a grinder that will last a while. Thanks for all your input & help, it's appreciated.
                    Its the same grinder you are talking about from Northern Tool.
                    Ken

Comment

http://www.northerntool.com/download...-Manual-_-Side

if this helps, check out the bottom of page 7
                      sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                      nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

i have a guide series 2.5 horse #5 grinder stuffer combo from gander mountain.i got it for around $55.00 on sale regularly $125.
                        1 time i did sausage was a breeze.the second time the stuffing was a pita. both 1/4's of the same pig so i'm not sure what it was. i did the 2 grind method but i think i'd rather have a separate stuffer that can be clamped to a table.
                        w/ these all in 1 machines they advise you use 2 people but i found i have a knack for it and didn't need help as long as the back of the machine was butted up against a wall.
                        also,they come w/ a variety of plate sizes but i never go smaller than 5/16" & a 3/4" tube.hope it helped.
                        brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                        18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                        cast iron Hibachi
                        22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                        & rotisserator
                        12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                        stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                        Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                        http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                        my music recordings-
                        http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

We have used our grinder for stuffing too and my opinion is that if you are doing weiners it works fine because the product seems to come out like mush, which is ideal for weiners/hotdogs. Even with the knife and screen out it still seems to grind it more. This makes for summer sausage and ring baloney that is too fine or mushy for my likings. These products are done better in a stuffer.

Comment

A seperate stuffer is the way to go. BUT if you want to try the grinder stuffing way. Remove the knife and plate from the grinder, then you won't end up with mush, be sure the meat is very cold too. When adding meat to the grinder drop small balls of meat right down the throat. DO NOT use a pusher. That will result in a lot of air in the sausage. just drop small balls in and let the auger take it away.Its a long and painfull process but it works.
                            Col. Big Guy

Comment

Being new to sausage I purchased a heavy grinder and a foot switch for it. It stuffed my Kielbasa fine but I had both hands free and ground once with 3/8 plate, I mixed and then stuffed with the plate made for stuffing with huge holes shaped like large triangles. I am looking for a stuffer because eventually I will do larger lots over 10 lbs. I can see 10lbs would be the limit for me if using the grinder to stuff also. Texture was like store bought brats.
                              sigpic

My Facebook page
                              http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Comment

Working...
                              X