Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Vintner Fresh Harvest Fruit Winemaking Kit

Master Vintner Fresh Harvest Fruit Winemaking Kit

My wife bought me one of these kits for my recent birthday, and I am really looking forward to giving it a try:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/m...aking-kit.html

The thing about these kits is that you're not making some sort of Chardonnay, or Merlot, or Riesling etc.; you're making wine from fruit that you have collected (or purchased) yourself. This is perfect for what I want to do, since I tend to like these kinds of projects, and I can't wait to get started.

The kit seems pretty standard - it comes with the fermenter, airlock, tubing and other hardware, plus enzimes, nutrients, stabelisers etc in order to make 15 batches of whatever fruit wine you might want to try. Once you use up these initial replenishable supplies, you can of course get more, and can conceivably make wine with this kit for the rest of your life, if you want.

For my first batch, I'm thinking of making chokecherry wine. I have what should be enough chokecherries to do this, which I packaged in the freezer last autumn. After that, who knows? But I intend to have fun with it, and may eventually move on to more converntional grape wines.

I was wondering if anyone else has one of these, and how your experiences have been?
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

I had an Uncle who used to make a few wines, Dandelion, Grape, Elderberry, Blackberry, Strawberry, and Wineberry.
    I can easily tell you my favorite was "Wineberry" Wine.

Bear
    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I watched my Grandad and Great Grandad use a simple fruit press that they made and coated with canning wax. The wood was not ply wood or Oak with open pores, but rather a smooth wood like Poplar. What they had looked like two paddles with a couple holes drilled through the end opposite the handles. A piece of nylon rope was used to tie both of them together. (see sketch)

The fruit that they harvested, washed, cut the stones or seeds out of was placed in a cheese cloth bag and hung from a tree branch over a bucket. They then opened the paddles and placed over the cheese cloth bag and squeezed them together thus
      extracting the juice. Very simple and effective. The cheese cloth strained the juice as it flowed into the bucket. I still remember Grandmother nagging at them to leave some of the juice in the pulp so she could make pies out of it. LOL

But we had good pies and good wine. (what little of it I got to taste)

In more recent times I've taken cuttings off fruit trees and started them to where I could transplant them the next year. Then I go out on the back roadsides and plant the trees where they won't be noticed by people. Kind of like having my own private orchard on public land. (my tax dollars at work) =)

On fruit trees

Apples are easy to do

Peaches the same

Pears likewise

Cherries, you'd better have nets to cover them with cause the birds will get them

Apricots are similar to peaches

Plumbs are so so as the birds will dine on them

But those are the fruits I can deal with easily where I live.

I think you'll like your wine making hobby. I've enjoyed making it
      for some time.

But this simple juice press system is cheap and effective.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

I've made gallons of blackberry wine years ago while living in an apartment. Bottled and corked it up and even made some labels. One year I made 20 gallons (4 carboys), and I will never forget all the fruit flies in the apartment. Waiting for months for it to "mellow" was really tough.

Have fun.

Comment

enjoy!!!
          ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
          ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Working...
          X