Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the curing gurus...Before its too late...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the curing gurus...Before its too late...

Starting with a 5.5 lb. bone in pork loin...Cut out chine bone etc so that it can be sliced into chops after cure and smoke...Rubbed with 2.75 oz. TQ. and into a bag...Opted out of the addition of sugar or any other flavors...Can add those when grilling the cured/smoked chops...
    Thickest point was 3 inches including the bone so figuring on 6+2+2 days for a safe cure...Or do I need to add more days due to the bones...Membrane has been peeled and small cuts between the bones to be sure all backbone parts were removed...Im thinkin 10-12 days should do the trick...

Advice
    Craig
    sigpic

Going by John's guidelines, I'd say you are plenty good to go:

Originally posted by John
    I use [a curing time of] one day per half-inch of total thickness, and then add a minimum of 2 days for safety. Then, I usually add 2 more days.
    The "two days for safety" plus the "two more days" should take care of any bone-related issues that might be existing. In my experience, you should be good to go, and if I were working on the same project, I use this exact same time-table.

Looking forward to seeing the results - I am guessing it will be good!
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Yes John's instructions were easy enough even for me to follow...

I think it was Rich that told me months ago that I might inject cure/brine inside the bones but I didn't think that was necessary...Then after I rubbed it down and put it in the fridge I started to second guess myself...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

If I remember correctly, a lot of it depends on the thickness of the meat. Over three inches, with a lot of bones, injection probably a good idea.

Considering that you are three inches or less in thickness (including the bone), I would think it's good, assuming turning, rotating each day to evenly distribute cure etc. A lot of times, people massage the bag of meat gently - not sure if this is necessary or effective, but it can't hurt.

If it were me, I would proceed just as you are doing - all should be good.
        Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 04-20-2015, 10:33 AM.
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

I should make a quick note: the calculations come out to 10 days, but there's no reason NOT to add more time, if you want to.

For an example, lot of time, my projects will work out so that when the calculated curing time is over, it's during the week or something. Because of my schedule, it's a lot better to do the smoking on the weekends, usually - so I hold off until the weekend, which adds days. No big deal - you can't OVER-cure meat.

So, if for any reason you want to go a little longer, it's all good!

Hope this helps.
          Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

You're more than likely good with that 6 + 2 + 2, however since it's all the way up to 3" thick, without injecting, it wouldn't hurt to add another day or 2, making it 11 or 12 days.

I'm not crazy about holding back the Sugar. The Sugar isn't to make it sweet---You won't even taste it. The Sugar is to counter the salt. If you don't use Sugar, it might be a little salty, and you'll be one of these guys running around crying about TQ being Salty if you don't use it right.

Bear
            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I'd have to agree with John about the sugar...it's your choice, of course, but a a little would put it into balance - not salty, not sweet - but a whole new flavour on its own merit.

I normally add an amount that is equal to the TQ that I use, but adding less woudln't hurt. You can leave it without sugar until cooking according to your plan, but it might be a little out of balance, because the salt is internal, whereas the flavouring after curing will be surface-only, for the most part.

There's nothing wrong with the way you're going to do it, though - so the choice is yours, for sure. We're just talking about a different taste profile, here.
              Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Well its been in the cure for only about 2 hours...To add the sugar now would be a huge mess as the thing is already juicing inside the bag...Thinkin I may just leave it as is...

The plan is to cold smoke it and then slice into thick chops and sear on a hot grill...If salt is an issue then I will adjust my seasonings at grill time...

However if you guys think adding the sugar is still a good plan...Im open to the idea...So what kind of sugar would be best....
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

I personally would add it, but that would be a preference thing, not because it is necessary.

It should turn out dang good either way, just with different flavour profiles. That cold smoke is going to be wonderful, as it is - adding a bit of sweet will make it better, but it's not required!

Decisions, decisions!
                  Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                    Well its been in the cure for only about 2 hours...To add the sugar now would be a huge mess as the thing is already juicing inside the bag...Thinkin I may just leave it as is...

The plan is to cold smoke it and then slice into thick chops and sear on a hot grill...If salt is an issue then I will adjust my seasonings at grill time...

However if you guys think adding the sugar is still a good plan...Im open to the idea...So what kind of sugar would be best....
                    Brown Sugar.
                    I would just open each package & toss between one or two teaspoons per pound in each package. Throw half on each side. Then close it up.

It's only 5.5 pounds---Must only be 2 or 3 packages??

Then I never add salt or sugar at smoking time---Only CBP, Garlic powder & Onion Powder.

Bear
                    Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                    Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                      It's only 5.5 pounds---Must only be 2 or 3 packages??
                      Actually its 5.5 pounds and its in one piece...I think it is a 7 or 8 bone roast...In a 2 gallon freezer bag...

So if I can add some sugar to the bag without removing the roast then I will do so...Otherwise it goes on as planned...Truth is I didn't add the sugar pretty much out of laziness

Thanks to both of you
                      This place is great
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                        ...if I can add some sugar to the bag without removing the roast then I will do so...Otherwise it goes on as planned...
                        Definitely, it can be done - I do it all the time.

Just open up the bag (on its side), add half to one side of the meat (sprinkle it around), then flip the bag and meat over, and add it to the other half.

The turning, rotating and massaging of the meat each day - along with osmosis - will distribute the cure, salt and sugar throughout.

Brown sugar is what I usually do, but after trying some maple sugar, I'm in love. If you can get some, it's worth it. If not, the dark brown sugar is the way to go!

As for how much, I add the same amount of sugar as TQ that I used - this is probably a bit too much, because when I cook the meats, I need to do it a lower temperatures for a longer time, or there is some scorching. It would probably be better to add about half as much.
                        Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 04-20-2015, 02:36 PM.
                        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Yeah plus the liquid geenrated will help dissolve the sugar, a few massages and it'll be pretty evenly distributed.

One of the good things (lol) about TQ is that it does contain nitrate as well as nitrite. So you're good to leave it for as long as you like really :-)
                          Few extra days never hurt anyone.
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post

I'm not crazy about holding back the Sugar. The Sugar isn't to make it sweet---You won't even taste it. The Sugar is to counter the salt. If you don't use Sugar, it might be a little salty, and you'll be one of these guys running around crying about TQ being Salty if you don't use it right.
                            my catch phrase... "You cannot overcure using the correct amount of cure- only under" Yer good with the 12 easy.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Sugar is in the bag...12 days takes me till Friday...Might wait till the weekend...However, while stuck at home, every day is the weekend...
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X