Pickeled Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickeled Sausage

Here's a very good, quick and easy recipe for pickeled sausage. Got it from WD last summer.
    1 TBS pep. flakes
    1 C water
    3/4 C B. Sugar
    3 C Apple Cidar Vin.
    1 TBS pick. spice
    Bring to a boil for about 15 min.

Cut up 2# of sausage and saome veggies of your choice. I used an onion, green onion, and a yellow bell pepper

Fill 4 pint jars or 2 qt jars with sausage and veggies. Pour the liq. in to the top and seal the jars.

Let them cool and put in the fridge. The problem is, the longer they sit in the fridge the better they get. That's the problem. I can't let them sit in there. They do need to be in there at 3-4 days before you try one. I did manage to keep 1 jar for a month and it was the best yet.

sigpic
    Brinkman SnP-w/mods
    ECB
    GOSM
    MES for sticks and sausage
    30 yr old Weber Kettle
    Brinkman gasser

Thanks! gonna do some up & send to my son who is deployed.
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Man those look good.
      ________
      Non light bulb homemade vaporizer
      Last edited by Smoke Doc; 04-19-2011, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Looks good, but I have never been a big fan of store bought pickled sausage. Maybe I'll give it a go. Is there a certain kind of sausage that you prefer? Does it need to cured and or smoked?
        sigpic

Comment

Nice post.. Thanks! I'll look forward to trying that recipe.
          sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Looks great! Might have to try that.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks

[QUOTE=bb53chevpro;9289] Is there a certain kind of sausage that you prefer? QUOTE]

Andy, I've used lil smokies, polish sausage, and a couple others. All have been smoked and fully cooked when I bought them. I'll use my own next time I make them though. Didn't really care for the lil smokies.

sigpic
              Brinkman SnP-w/mods
              ECB
              GOSM
              MES for sticks and sausage
              30 yr old Weber Kettle
              Brinkman gasser

Comment

Looking great mark...........i need to do these again..........Andy, i use any sausages........last batch was keilbasa and hotdogs()

i used onions, hot and sweet peppers from our garden..........pickling spice, hot red pepper flakes (homemade) apple cider vinegar.........

i also hot water bathed the jars before filling......this is important to get a good seal......also boiled NEW lids to soften up the rubber.........i recommend using new lids everytime.......reusing rings is fine.........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Thanks guys. this is saved in my to do list.
                  sigpic

Comment

Man those look great. I'll have to try that. Any trick to sealing those lids? It seems like they wouldn't spoil anyway if there in the fridge. Can they be made so they can be stored without refrigeration?
                    Keith

Comment

you do the hot water bath...........soon as you take the jar outta the water, fill it with sausage/veggie mix, then the picking mixture.......put on the HOT lid that has been in boiling water.........seal up with the ring........after a while, you will hear the popping sound of the lids being pulled down...........should be NO play in the lid, after this...........IF after SEVERAL hours, you do have play, you will need to put in fridge and eat this jar first..........IF they are sealed, they will be safe for WEEKS

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Working...
                      X