C Bot claims one, 23 sick in Ohio.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C Bot claims one, 23 sick in Ohio.

Yes..it's still around folks... be vigilant!

Published April 22, 2015 Associated Press

Heath officials said Wednesday they are working to determine which food from a church potluck might have caused a suspected botulism outbreak that left one person dead and 23 others sick.

Doctors and officials said at a news conference Wednesday that health workers are interviewing those who attended the Sunday potluck at Cross Pointe Free Will Baptist Church in Lancaster to determine what might have caused the outbreak.

Fairfield Medical Center announced Tuesday that one woman had died of the suspected illness and at least 18 were sickened. The number of ill rose to 23 Wednesday.

Dr. Mark Aebi with Fairfield County Health said health officials are collecting samples from the church's trash bin for leads. They're also going into homes to test samples of homemade canned items that were used for some of the dishes at the potluck.

Officials have narrowed down their search to a few items that seem suspect, Aebi said.

Dr. Andrew Murry with the Fairfield Medical Center said a botulism antitoxin arrived in Ohio at around midnight Wednesday from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It was then distributed to the several central Ohio hospitals treating the 23 patients with suspected cases of botulism.

Doctors are waiting on test results to confirm the illness, but doctors are fairly certain it's botulism, Murry said.

Symptoms include blurred or double vision, drooping eyelids, difficulty swallowing and shortness of breath.

Doctors are also confident the illness is specific to those who attended the potluck, not a communitywide outbreak.

"Every person that we've seen was at this potluck," Murry said.

About 50 to 60 people attended the potluck. Doctors said those who attended the event but have not displayed symptoms should be watched closely for the next 10 days.

Doctors have stressed that botulism is not contagious. Symptoms usually begin within 18 to 36 hours after consuming contaminated food but can occur up to 10 days later.

Officials said the Ohio Department of Health will be providing updates on the outbreak and the patients receiving treatment.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
    Yes..it's still around folks...

Symptoms include blurred or double vision, drooping eyelids, difficulty swallowing and shortness of breath.
    OH crap I have those symptoms...

Seriously with canning season just around the corner this is really something to remember...You cannot be to careful...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
      OH crap I have those symptoms...
      Yer just old and 4 beers in..don't panic
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Being a fish canner is the only reason I know of botulism. So I'm thinking, someone brought their home canned fish to the party? '

So I google it and find the Sources of the toxin, pasted below.

Children and adults: Home-canned foods with a low acid content, improperly canned commercial foods, home-canned or fermented fish, herb-infused oils, baked potatoes in aluminum foil, cheese sauce, bottled garlic, foods held warm for extended periods of time

Note: baked potatoes in aluminum foil

WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by 206 View Post

Note: baked potatoes in aluminum foil

WTF?
          ANY food product in a low oxygen/danger zone temp environment can be an issue.

C Bot could be under your fingernails right now... or at least on your shoe soles... ANYTHING grown in dirt likely has it. Our job is to kill it and/or not allow it to propagate. The bacteria itself is not the issue..but it's "shit"... if you will is the neuro-toxin. And you can't cook that away. Well..maybe at around 300F internal temps...

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            The bacteria itself is not the issue..but it's "shit"... if you will is the neuro-toxin. And you can't cook that away. Well..maybe at around 300F internal temps...
            My wife will be glad to hear that her steaks are safe
            sigpic

Comment

Yep can be too careful with canning.. found a big jar of salsa did not seal.. even had it in the frig in the basement... but 4/5 months later..... dumped down the sink.. killed me but just could not chance it with the kids....
              Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
              Yoder YS640
              Weber Genesis
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber Performer
              Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Does it have an odor? If I open a jar of salsa am I going to smell anything? Kind of curious.

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
                  Does it have an odor? If I open a jar of salsa am I going to smell anything? Kind of curious.
                  Me too!!
                  Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                  Yoder YS640
                  Weber Genesis
                  Weber 18.5" Kettle
                  Weber Performer
                  Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Not always, if in doubt - throw it out!
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Have a friend went to a life celebration in Ga. Food was all brought from home . She came home with C. bot. Spent a month in the hospital, six more weeks getting "right". Still working on strength training. Life celebration was in January!
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

It has no odor...It has no taste...Cant be seen with the eyes...

Proper canning technics and attention to pH will virtually eliminate any worries...However once a jar is opened and stored in the fridge the story changes...

I don't like to store opened home-canned products for more than 10 days to two weeks...Better safe than sorry...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

OK This why those store bought jars of salsa, or spaghetti sauce have those little cap poppers. If you can pop em and make noise the seal is busted and you're at risk.

Comment

OK This why those store bought jars of salsa, or spaghetti sauce have those little cap poppers. If you can pop em and make noise the seal is busted and you're at risk.
                            Yes...Same applies to home canned...

But the store bought stuff is full of preservatives I think...I have to rely on heating my stuff to high enough temps and proper pH...
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Home canned potatoes used in potato salad was the culprit

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/28/health...-for-botulism/
                              sigpic
                              New Braunfels Bandera
                              New Braunfels Hondo
                              4-22.5" Weber Kettles
                              1-26" Weber Kettle
                              24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
                              Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Working...
                              X