Aardvark Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aardvark Sausage

No I didn't butcher an aardvark but as a rookie sausage head I want to try all different kinds. A while back Curious Aardvark posted a recipe using oats and beer and I have wanted to try it. So here goes.

Here is the basic recipe:
    3 lbs pork butts
    3 tsp kosher salt
    1 1/2 tsp black pepper
    3 TBS oats
    3/4 cup beer
    His recipe called for mixed dried herbs, I was looking for a strong garlic flavor in this sausage so I added the following for flavor
    1 TBS granulated garlic
    1 tsp onion powder
    1/2 TBS parsley
    1 tsp red pepper flakes

Here is 3 lbs of pork butts cut into chunks, laid out on a <a onMouseOver="javascript:window.status='cookie sheet';return true;" onMouseOut="javascript:window.status='';return true;" href="http://jpkserver.info?v=1%2E26&ss=cookie+sheet">cookie sheet</a> on wax <a onMouseOver="javascript:window.status='paper';retu rn true;" onMouseOut="javascript:window.status='';return true;" href="http://jpkserver.info?v=1%2E26&ss=paper">paper</a> and into the freezer. It is the quickest way I have found to get the meat really cold quickly so it is ready to grind.

I had to follow a slightly different procedure than he listed because of some other stuff I had going on this weekend. So I mixed all the dry ingredients together and then mixed them into the meat chunks.

Closer View

After grinding the meat I mixed in the beer. Used Newcastle Brown Ale. I figured I might as well use an English beer since it is Aardvark sausage.

Stuffed into natural hog casings.

Twisted some links

I let them sit in the fridge overnight. I did fry up the little bit that was left in the stuffer and it tasted great. The next day as soon as I took the lid off the container they were in I could smell the strong garlic smell. I grilled them slowly over medium heat burning just RO lump.

All done

While I was grilling the sausages, my wife simmered some onions, garlic, and roasted red peppers. So I topped the sausage with it after putting on a bun.

I thought the flavors were great. A definate garlic flavor but not overpowering which is what I was going for. The texture was great and lots of variations can be made. Good stuff, thanks Curious Aardvark for a recipe I will be making again.
    KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

YEAH man! Sure looks good Adam. I'm next in line for this sausage gig, no doubt. Hey Adam...what happened to the first half of that New Castle?
    Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

looks great. but CA use's horse meat.
      sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
      nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

looks good Adam!!! you can also have a pan of beer with sliced onions simmering on the grill and alternate sausages for beer baths while grilling. what we do to brats up here. looks great and maybe CA has a winner there???
        Charbroil SFB
        GOSM
        MES
        Dutch Ovens and other CI
        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Beautiful links bud to you and CA
          Chargriller Pro w. sfb
          Ducane 4100 propane grill
          Brinkman Electric

Member # 200

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
            YEAH man! Sure looks good Adam. I'm next in line for this sausage gig, no doubt. Hey Adam...what happened to the first half of that New Castle?
            Yep I was wondering the same thing... what happened to the New Castle..??

Adam, they look great just like a "banger"... yum, get me some Coleman's... I am all over that... you look like a pro sausage head my friend!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

I was looking for a strong garlic flavor in this sausage so I added the following for flavor
              1 TBS granulated garlic
              1 tsp onion powder
              1/2 TBS parsley
              1 tsp red pepper flakes
              works for me :-)

I had to follow a slightly different procedure than he listed
              as long as everything is mixed before grinding, it doesn't make much difference to be honest. But when you write a recipe up, you kind of have to be pedantic :-)

It all Looks good to me :-)
              Well done :-)
              Next up I'll post my bratwurst recipe - that's a bit special lol
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Ahhh- the beauty of sausage! Ya can put almost anything in 'em!

Look good, Sir!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

That's some good looking sausage! Thanks for sharing and the great pics.
                  sigpic
                  Smoke Vault 24

Comment

looks great from here.
                    brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                    18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                    cast iron Hibachi
                    22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                    & rotisserator
                    12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                    stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                    Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                    http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                    my music recordings-
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

That's some good looking sausage! Might have to give that one a try next weekend.

sigpic
                      Brinkman SnP-w/mods
                      ECB
                      GOSM
                      MES for sticks and sausage
                      30 yr old Weber Kettle
                      Brinkman gasser

Comment

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the comments. This was an easy recipe that came out great.

Originally posted by Uncle-Honky View Post
                        Hey Adam...what happened to the first half of that New Castle?
                        Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                        Yep I was wondering the same thing... what happened to the New Castle..??
                        I was thirsty.
                        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Unique sausage for sure. Nice job.
                          Keith

Comment

Nice looking links Bud, Kudos You a definitely going to be a sausage head...
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            KCBS CBJ

Comment

[QUOTE=Richtee;50256]Ahhh- the beauty of sausage! Ya can put almost anything in 'em!

As a rookie sausage maker & one who likes to experiment, love those words Rich..... ;{)

Nice work WU, Love the Newcastle addition to the sausage, had to be good.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X