Sous Vide Veggies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sous Vide Veggies

I'm still playing with the SV. So for we like it for re-heating soups, stews, ham & beans, and for cooking veggies.
    Pam likes to do veggies this way. Squash, greenbeans, cauliflower, and broccoli are ones we have done so for. We do them in individual serving size bags. We re-heat them in the microwave by poking a couple holes in the bag and they come out like the frozen steaming bag ones from the grocery store, except they are seasoned the way we like.
    This morning we cooked some cauliflower and broccoli seasoned with sea salt, FCBP, butter, and granulated onion & garlic. We cook them at 183° for 30 min. Then put the bags in ice water for a quick cool down to stop the cooking. Then date the bag and into the freezer.
    The big black discs in the bags are flat glass beads we put in the bag to weigh the bag down to keep them from floating while cooking.

Jim

It's a great way to put away fast meals. Like the glass idear!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Nice work!
      sigpic

Comment

Nice BYBBQ. Veggies give off a lot of air when cooked. I use a divided rack to hold them down but I also have an assortment of glass balls, tiles and whiskey stones to weight down bags. Best use of the whiskey stones I've found. They do nothing for whiskey

Comment

Originally posted by scubadoo97 View Post
          Best use of the whiskey stones I've found. They do nothing for whiskey
          Uhh put them in the freezer... might help
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

dern fine thinking there!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Uhh put them in the freezer... might help

Tried that. They don't drop the temp much and are a distraction to fine whiskey.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                It's a great way to put away fast meals. Like the glass idear!
                DITTO Mark, and I also think the glass idea is good thinking!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by scubadoo97 View Post
                  Tried that. They don't drop the temp much and are a distraction to fine whiskey.
                  Hmm... what..they have a flavor?? Or just the clinking around? That would bug me I guess...a little.

You need either more...or bigger stones. Or less whiskey
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Love me some SV'd veggies, and they look YUM! I like the glass stone idear!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Thanks everyone.

We are still playing with the SV method. Some foods we don't care for and others like veggies are good. Neither of us really care for chicken. We did try to re-heat a slice of smoked prime rib and it was OK. Did a steak once and it looked good inside, I did a quick seer on the outside, but Pam said it lacked the smokey seared taste of the steaks I do with a high heat sear/cook in the Keg. So we are still trying different things. I know some things we'll like and some we won't. We'll just have to see.

The glass bead trick is not my idea. It was a great tip on the SousVide Supreme website.
                      Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                        Thanks everyone.

We are still playing with the SV method. Some foods we don't care for and others like veggies are good. Neither of us really care for chicken. We did try to re-heat a slice of smoked prime rib and it was OK. Did a steak once and it looked good inside, I did a quick seer on the outside, but Pam said it lacked the smokey seared taste of the steaks I do with a high heat sear/cook in the Keg. So we are still trying different things. I know some things we'll like and some we won't. We'll just have to see.

The glass bead trick is not my idea. It was a great tip on the SousVide Supreme website.
                        Keep playing with the SV. When I do steaks, chicken, etc, I get the Vortex involved for the sear. Yum. You get that smokey goodness, and perfectly done meat.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                        X