Sous Vide - finnaly made the leap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sous Vide - finnaly made the leap...

Ok, I gave in to temptation and ordered a Anova Precision Cooker Sous Vide today. Got it for $129 with the $50 off fathers day code. Bought straight from Anova, so it should be a done deal.

I almost jumped in when the $69 ebay deal hit, but that little voice in my head said "don't do it Dave". Been thinking about it ever since. Not as good a deal as the $99 on the Anova One, but after reading a bunch of posts here and other reviews online, I'm pretty satisfied with getting the PC model for that price.

On a side note, the wife had a heart attack on Monday. She is home and doing fine. We caught it early and they did a stent on her as it was still ongoing when we walked in the emergency room door.

That is part of the reason I went ahead and ordered the PC. I see a lot of chicken and other heart friendly food in our future. Might as well expand the cooking options available.

I was just thinking that now that a lot of members here are getting sous vide units, it might be a good idea to add a sous vide section to the forum. What do y'all think?
    Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

A nice gift to yourself! Definitely on my list of things to have one day.

Sorry to hear about your wife's heart attack, but glad to hear she is doing fine.
    Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
    Frogmats
    Maverick ET 732
    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Congrats on the buy, I got one also. It will expand the healthy real good eats department. Juicy tender fully cooked chiggen breast is easy peasy!
      Real sorry to hear bout SWMBO'd heart bout, no much in the fun dept. Real glad she aight!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Happy to hear the wife is on the mend..and yes... SV can be a VERY healthy alternative cooking method... for many things.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

bad glad baby is on the mend...the sv gig can wait...get baby well...prayers for ya'll..
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Wow..so glad to hear that the Mrs. is doing OK. That's some scary stuff. Prayers for her continued health are coming from KC.

Originally posted by dward51 View Post

I was just thinking that now that a lot of members here are getting sous vide units, it might be a good idea to add a sous vide section to the forum. What do y'all think?
            Be up to Tex, Rich, DDave and Rob, but I think that is a fine idea. Let's get the awesome ideas and techniques in one place so I can shamelessly steal them!!
            BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
            Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
            I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by dward51 View Post
              Ok, I gave in to temptation and ordered a Anova Precision Cooker Sous Vide today. Got it for $129 with the $50 off fathers day code. Bought straight from Anova, so it should be a done deal.

I almost jumped in when the $69 ebay deal hit, but that little voice in my head said "don't do it Dave". Been thinking about it ever since. Not as good a deal as the $99 on the Anova One, but after reading a bunch of posts here and other reviews online, I'm pretty satisfied with getting the PC model for that price.

On a side note, the wife had a heart attack on Monday. She is home and doing fine. We caught it early and they did a stent on her as it was still ongoing when we walked in the emergency room door.

That is part of the reason I went ahead and ordered the PC. I see a lot of chicken and other heart friendly food in our future. Might as well expand the cooking options available.

Sorry to hear aboot Mrs. Thoughts and prayers sent your way on a speedy full recovery

I like the SV section also. I don't have one, but can see one in me future.
              sigpic

Comment

Just want to add my condolences for the wife. SWMBO recently had a life altering medical event as well. Ck out the book Grill This Not That. Great recipes that are much healthier than the restaurant versions.

I jumped on the SV band wagon as well. I always wanted one. I think it's the perfect compliment to grilling/BBQing/smoking foods. Looking forward to learning to use it as well as seeing other's creations.
                ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Dwain

Comment

Glad your wife is on the mend! Prayers sent.

Enjoy that new SV! I also like the idea of an SV section. Tex?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Sorry about the wife and glad she is on the mend. Hoping my SV arrives today.
                    sigpic
                    GMG Daniel Boone
                    UDS
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                    Vision Kamado grill
                    Weber Genesis Silver
                    Smokin Tex
                    MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                    Maverick ET 732
                    Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                    2 orange ThermoPops
                    A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                    A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                    Vortex

Comment

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers from my good friends here. She is doing amazingly well and we find out today if there was any permanent damage.

Fortunately we live a few miles from one of the metro-Atlanta cardiac specialty hospitals and when it happened, we were there in moments. From the time we entered the ER I would estimate it was no more than 15 minutes before they had her in surgery to open the blockage. I think the second she talked to in the ER was the actual surgeon. She had a 100% blockage and two 60-70% blockages. The technology has changed a lot too. They now go in through your wrist with a much smaller incision to put in stents to open blockages.

Odd thing is, she is the one who eats healthy, walks 30-45 minutes a day, drinks no sodas, has a very active job (physically), and pretty much does all the things they tell us we should all be doing. I'm the slacker when it comes to eating healthy. If it's meaty, fried, smoked and greasy, it's on my plate. But she has had cholesterol issues for a while where mine runs around 140-145. Go figure.
                      Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Prayers Sent to the wife & to you!!
                        So glad everything went well for her.

Good thing you had a good surgeon! Some of them screw that kind of thing up really bad.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                        X