Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Butts .... still dry....what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork Butts .... still dry....what am I doing wrong?

Hi Folks!

I have smoked 11 pork butts now (along with ribs, cheeses, cornbread, sausage, etc) and it seems like all of mine tend to be dry.

My typical session is set the Yoder on 225-235 and let it run until the internal temp hits 190-195 degrees internal temp. This can last anywhere from 8 to 12 hours depending on the size of the butt and the butt itself.

I trim a good deal of the fat cap off and the blood vein area and typically dry brine with kosher salt for 12-18 hours.

I typically do not foil the butt at any point but on the last two go arounds, I have foiled at around the internal temp at 165 ish. This kept some awesome liquid gold in the foil (I add a cup of apple juice for some flavor as well) that I reserve for the shreds of meat.

Taste has been great and really like the bark, however the meat always seems to come out a bit dry and seems "tough".

Should I be waiting for an internal temp of something around the 200-205 range before pulling it off the smoker?

Should I be using a higher temp for a shorter time?

I have a boston butt on the smoker now (going on 3.5 hours now) and was wondering if I should change this up a bit to see the results.

Any and all help would be appreciated!!!!

Mike :)

PS...this will be the first test of the Pork-N-Pull tonight so I really want to have a good butt to test this on!
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis Gasser
    Ugly Black Box (Great Outdoors Smokey Mt)

Originally posted by AnglerMike View Post
    Hi Folks!

I have smoked 11 pork butts now (along with ribs, cheeses, cornbread, sausage, etc) and it seems like all of mine tend to be dry.

My typical session is set the Yoder on 225-235 and let it run until the internal temp hits 190-195 degrees internal temp. This can last anywhere from 8 to 12 hours depending on the size of the butt and the butt itself.

I trim a good deal of the fat cap off and the blood vein area and typically dry brine with kosher salt for 12-18 hours.

I typically do not foil the butt at any point but on the last two go arounds, I have foiled at around the internal temp at 165 ish. This kept some awesome liquid gold in the foil (I add a cup of apple juice for some flavor as well) that I reserve for the shreds of meat.

Taste has been great and really like the bark, however the meat always seems to come out a bit dry and seems "tough".

Should I be waiting for an internal temp of something around the 200-205 range before pulling it off the smoker?

Should I be using a higher temp for a shorter time?

I have a boston butt on the smoker now (going on 3.5 hours now) and was wondering if I should change this up a bit to see the results.

Any and all help would be appreciated!!!!

PS...this will be the first test of the Pork-N-Pull tonight so I really want to have a good butt to test this on!
    I would take it to 200 or if it's got a bone, its done when the bone pulls out easily and clean. I personally, run the smoker at 250-270.

Just thinking out loud here, you say you're dry brining with salt 12-18 hours before the cook. I wonder if that could be an issue. Salt will pull moisture out, but given enough time it'll reabsorb. Just a thought, maybe I'm wrong on this theory.
    sigpic

Comment

First thing to check is the thermometer. Is it accurate? I bought my turkey fryer & the thermometer that came with it was off by 25*.
      Second, cook to tender, not necessarily to temp and certainly not to time. Use the temp & time as a guide but it is done when it is tender to the probe or fork turn. Some butts need to go higher, say to 200 - 205*. some are tender at 195*.
      Third, I would stop dry brining with salt. Salt will draw moisture out of the meat. Pork butts usually don't need brining or injecting. If you wish to impart some flavors into the meat you can inject it.
      My usual method is trim fat cap down to about 1/2", apply rub & put into the smoker at 250* - 275* and run it to 165* or so. I then foil 'em & add some flavors like rub, BBQ sauce, apple juice, diet cherry coke, or whatever you wish into the foil with the butts. I put them back on & run it at 225 -m 250* until probe tender. I usually shut down the smoker & let the butts sit there until I am ready to deal with them. Keeps 'em warm like a cooler without the hassle.
      My guess is you have an inaccurate thermometer and/or you are pulling it off before it is tender or you are over cooking it due to the thermometer.
      The other possibility is you were unlucky & got crappy meat when you bought it. I would rate this as a long shot but possible. I hope you are able to turn it around & get some yummy butts coming off of your smoker. Good luck.
      MES 30"
      A-Maze-N pellet smoker
      Weber 22" kettle
      E-Z-Que rotisserie
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Big Weber Gasser
      Cracker Smoker
      UDS

Comment

Thanks folks!

Thermometer is a Mav 732 that I have calibrated so I don't think that is the problem. I also have a thermopen that also checks well for calibration. I live at 7500' so I took into consideration the density altitude so the both seem A-OK.

I recall reading somewhere that dry brining was a GOOD idea but can't recall where I dug that up from but will eliminate that step next go around to see if that is an issue.

I will also try bringing it up to the 200-205 but will check to see a fork test as well.

Some awesome suggestions and will give them a shot today!

BTW my butts do not have the bone in them so I really cant do the pull test necessarily.

As far as a rub, I use a mixture recipe I got off the site and apply a mustard base before rub goes on.

Thanks!
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis Gasser

Comment

Originally posted by L20A View Post
          First thing to check is the thermometer. Is it accurate? I bought my turkey fryer & the thermometer that came with it was off by 25*.
          Second, cook to tender, not necessarily to temp and certainly not to time. Use the temp & time as a guide but it is done when it is tender to the probe or fork turn. Some butts need to go higher, say to 200 - 205*. some are tender at 195*.
          Third, I would stop dry brining with salt. Salt will draw moisture out of the meat. Pork butts usually don't need brining or injecting. If you wish to impart some flavors into the meat you can inject it.
          My usual method is trim fat cap down to about 1/2", apply rub & put into the smoker at 250* - 275* and run it to 165* or so. I then foil 'em & add some flavors like rub, BBQ sauce, apple juice, diet cherry coke, or whatever you wish into the foil with the butts. I put them back on & run it at 225 -m 250* until probe tender. I usually shut down the smoker & let the butts sit there until I am ready to deal with them. Keeps 'em warm like a cooler without the hassle.
          My guess is you have an inaccurate thermometer and/or you are pulling it off before it is tender or you are over cooking it due to the thermometer.
          The other possibility is you were unlucky & got crappy meat when you bought it. I would rate this as a long shot but possible. I hope you are able to turn it around & get some yummy butts coming off of your smoker. Good luck.
          Great advice...
          sigpic
          GMG Daniel Boone
          UDS
          Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
          Vision Kamado grill
          Weber Genesis Silver
          Smokin Tex
          MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
          Maverick ET 732
          Brown and lime green ThermaPens
          2 orange ThermoPops
          A-Maze-N Tube 18"
          A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
          Vortex

Comment

I don't know if the dry brine is an issue. I've never done that, only use a rub. I kinda think your problem is not taking the meat to a high enough temp. Try taking it to 205 and see what happens and then wrap it and let rest for an hour before pulling. The difference is only 10-15 degrees but it's important for the breakdown of connective tissues to make the pork soft and tender.

I don't think the cooking temp makes much difference on pork shoulder. I used to only do them at 225 but I've learned to do them around 275 now. Makes cooking time much shorter and seems to have no effect on the finished product. Good luck!
            Good One Heritage Oven
            Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

Old SmokyOkie over at USBBQSUPPLY has some pretty good pork injections. One called Bark and another called Pure Pork Power. I've used the PPP in contests just for some insurance. Nice flavor, not too sweet. No basting or anything. lots of liquid gold in the end.
              sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

AnglerMike,

I gave you this yesterday. Maybe you missed it. It includes all kinds of tips:

Link:
                http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21576

Bear
                Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks folks! I am going to push the internal temp upwards to the 200-205 mark. This is something I have never done and to be honest I "think" that might be the issue as my first few I pulled at 190 which was probably way too early.

The funny thing on all of the butts was that there were areas that were simply perfect but deeper into the cut of meat it was tougher and "drier". I think the problem, as many of you suggested, is that the thicker section was not allowed to break down the collagen and such.
                  Yoder YS640
                  Weber Genesis Gasser

Comment

Thanks folks! I am going to push the internal temp upwards to the 200-205 mark. This is something I have never done and to be honest I "think" that might be the issue as my first few I pulled at 190 which was probably way too early.

The funny thing on all of the butts was that there were areas that were simply perfect but deeper into the cut of meat it was tougher and "drier". I think the problem, as many of you suggested, is that the thicker section was not allowed to break down the collagen and such.
                    Yeah, I'd say 190° is probably a bit early if you want it to pull nicely. I start probing at 195°. Not so much for temp but for feel. If the probe goes in real easy then it's done. I probe several different spots and if I hit one that offers more resistance I leave it on for a bit longer.

Can't say that I've ever had a dry one but there have been a few early on where some spots don't pull as well as others.

Dave
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

You can mix in a little vinegar based sauce or other thin sauce that you like to get the flavors you want after you pull the meat. This is what we do when we cook whole hog.

Comment

Thanks folks! Awesome stuff!

Bear I think you sent that to someone else yesterday but I have been linking to it for a bit. Great tips and great writeup...I also use your PDF book religiously!!!

As a side note::::::

This pork butt is cooking much smoother than the rest...at the 7 hour point I am sitting nicely at 189 IT which has never taken this short of time in all my cooks. I think Because I have the Yoder set to 245 degrees this is helping it move a long a tad bit quicker.

I have some Atomic Buffalo Turds ready to go and I will slap them on once the MAV hits 190 on the IT and let them rip. If they get done prior to the pork then I believe they will all be eaten by the time the pork is pulled!!! I usually cook them up on my Weber Gasser but decided to toss them on the top rack of the Yoder today for a change.
                        Yoder YS640
                        Weber Genesis Gasser

Comment

A home run!!!!!

Thank you ALL for the incredible suggestions folks!!!!

My FIRST AWESOME PORK BUTT !!!!!!!

Two things that I did differently this time:

1. I did bump up the temp to the 240 ish range from 225 (I think this simply cut the time down and help bring internal temp up quicker).

2. This, I believe is the KEY point, is that I allowed the internal temperature to get to 203 degrees.

The cook took about 9 hours and I have to say it was simply the BEST pulled pork I have ever made to date....bar none!

I did some "poke" tests with the thermopen and found one area that may have been a bit harder to slide in at 198 degrees, so I elected to let it run it's course to the 203 temp. It took around an hour or so to achieve that internal temp but WELL WORTH IT!!!!

I also made up some Atomic Buffalo Turds that I tossed on the top level of the smoker for about 2 hours....they came out AWESOME as well. My wife made up some of her potato salad and I also tried some of the finishing sauce that RichTee posted up in another "911" thread earlier.

The Pork N Pull was used for the first time and I posted up a review in the PNP thread.

Thank you ALL for all the suggestions...they really helped me out a ton and I must tell you this was a meal that I would be happy and proud to serve anyone!!!

Here are some pictures....

Sorry for the cruddy pictures my phone is horrid and I was also really anxious to dig into the feast!!!

Yoder YS640
                          Weber Genesis Gasser

Comment

And there ya go...
                            That's what the folks here do best is guide ya along to the best Q ever...

There is no stopping you now
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Thank you ALL for the incredible suggestions folks!!!!

My FIRST AWESOME PORK BUTT !!!!!!!

Two things that I did differently this time:

1. I did bump up the temp to the 240 ish range from 225 (I think this simply cut the time down and help bring internal temp up quicker).

2. This, I believe is the KEY point, is that I allowed the internal temperature to get to 203 degrees.

The cook took about 9 hours and I have to say it was simply the BEST pulled pork I have ever made to date....bar none!

I did some "poke" tests with the thermopen and found one area that may have been a bit harder to slide in at 198 degrees, so I elected to let it run it's course to the 203 temp. It took around an hour or so to achieve that internal temp but WELL WORTH IT!!!!

I also made up some Atomic Buffalo Turds that I tossed on the top level of the smoker for about 2 hours....they came out AWESOME as well. My wife made up some of her potato salad and I also tried some of the finishing sauce that RichTee posted up in another "911" thread earlier.

The Pork N Pull was used for the first time and I posted up a review in the PNP thread.

Thank you ALL for all the suggestions...they really helped me out a ton and I must tell you this was a meal that I would be happy and proud to serve anyone!!!

Here are some pictures....

Sorry for the cruddy pictures my phone is horrid and I was also really anxious to dig into the feast!!!

Nothing wrong worth those pics. Nice work!
                              Don

Humphrey's Pint
                              Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                              Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                              Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                              Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                              Anova One Sous Vide
                              AMPS
                              Purple Thermapen
                              Maverick ET-733
                              DigIQ DX2
                              Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X