Injecting a brisket with Butcher's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injecting a brisket with Butcher's

I picked up a 14b packer today and was going to inject with Butcher's Brisket Injection. My wife was looking at the package and said that the sodium content as mixed was over 19K mg which is 801% of the daily recommended serving.

My questions is, if you used it was the brisket salty tasting and did it help with the moisture of the meat. I was going to get up at 6am, inject and put on my Yoder around 10am at 230*. I intend to go simple, kosher salt and ground black pepper. I've done a few of these before and only inject with beef broth.

Just worried about having too much salt in the meat since my wife and I try to be careful with salt and sodium.... it's a getting old thing!

Thanks for any help, Joe.
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis Copper E310
    VacMaster Pro 260
    2 Mavericks ET732
    Blue Thermapen
    6" & 12" AMNTS
    Q-MATS
    "Yoder YS Pellet Grills (Fan Page)" on Facebook

I can't tell you what to do, but it seems to me that is an extreme amount of salt. I would just use a good rub(kosher salt, black pepper, garlic) and spritz the damn thing, but that's me. Let me add I have never knowingly eaten an injected brisket. I just don't know many people who inject, and that includes the BBQ joints I eat at around here(yes i ask) and they have tasted delicious.

Comment

That does sound like a huge amount of sodium.. I think I would pass on it.. The only thing I have injected on Briskets is beef broth with the rub I plan on using dissolved into the liquid..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Holy CRAP. 19 GRAMS of salt. Wow. Sounds like some of the rubs out there One thing to remember..not but maybe half..MAYBE..actually stays in the meat. But still.

I need to step up with the beef injection I have been messing with. Just costs a fortune for test subjects tho
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I wouldn't take a chance on injecting a brisket with anything but some beef broth with maybe a little rub with it. If cooked properly, everything should fall into place. That's how I feel anyway.
          Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
          My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
          @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            Holy CRAP. 19 GRAMS of salt. Wow. Sounds like some of the rubs out there One thing to remember..not but maybe half..MAYBE..actually stays in the meat. But still.

I need to step up with the beef injection I have been messing with. Just costs a fortune for test subjects tho

Some of us work for free...

I don't think I have ever injected a brisket...Just no need in my opinion...
            Good rub...Good smoke...Its all good...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              [/B]

Some of us work for free...

I don't think I have ever injected a brisket...Just no need in my opinion...
              Good rub...Good smoke...Its all good...
              Heh.. usually, by the time I send out samples for you folk to test... I got it pretty much close to being ready. Last thing I want to do is ruin a hunk of YOUR meat

Yeah, brisket has been done for many years without injecting for sure. If you feel you have to I'd stick with a simple broth formulation like others mentioned, especially given your (smart) decision to watch salt intake.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks everyone for replying....

That said, I decided to inject using half the strength. Quite honestly, this was supposed to be just an experemental smoke with nothing else but then the wife decided to have some family over and our neighboors. I am doing four racks of baby backs for tomorrow among other stuff. If I screw it up, I'll take it to work and let the guys at work have at it. Another guy and I use our coworkers as test subjects for our BBQ all the time!

I was up at 6am, trimmed and injected. It should be going on at 10am at 230* and when it's done it's done! I'll let it sit once it's done for 15 minutes or so and then FTC. If I have to I'll put it in the fridge and tomorrow slice and put in the oven to warm.
                Yoder YS640
                VacMaster Pro 260
                2 Mavericks ET732
                Blue Thermapen
                6" & 12" AMNTS
                Q-MATS

Comment

FWIW, A lot of those commercial injects like Butchers, and FAB are not much more than salt, MSG and its cousins(more sodium) and phosphate.
                  Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Well I injected and the brisket came out fantastic. There was such a great beef flavor and I really like just using S&P although the wife felt it was a bit heavy.
                    Thank you again for the comments and thoughts, they were a great help in weighing the pros and cons.

~ Joe

Yoder YS640
                    VacMaster Pro 260
                    2 Mavericks ET732
                    Blue Thermapen
                    6" & 12" AMNTS
                    Q-MATS

Comment

Nice job. Okie Butchers products have historically been well received. I do love their sauce. If I inject beef, I use SmokyOkie's Deep Beef. Basically concentrated stock. Has a great flavor. Good for comps as long as you don't bolus it in places as it leaves a yellowish color to the meat. Got to keep the needle moving. It's good on leaner cuts though. My best ever was a SmokyOkie technique where I injected, HEAVY black pepper rub, super seared over open flame. Then smoked over a pan of veggies until done. Most neediest ever and almost too tender to slice. Damn, I think we ate the whole packer in one setting. The best liquid gold ever. Smoky, sweet, tender veggies. Somewhere out there is my original post but can't remember if that was before I became a misfit. I gotta find that one. Now I need a sandwich.....
                      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

I never inject, because then you gotta get it from 40° IT to 140° IT in no longer than 4 hours.
                        Since I like to do everything Low & Slow, I can't be hurried from 40° to 140°.
                        Without injecting or inserting my temp probe in too early, I can take as long as I want to get some Tasty Light Smoke on my Meats.

Just My 2 Cents.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

I like most all of Butchers injections. Not a big fan of the open pit pork, but love the original

Comment

Working...
                          X