First Shot at Canadian Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Shot at Canadian Bacon

I've been meaning to try this for a long time and time just kept getting away from me. So, we had some loins on sale and I figured now is as good as any. Got a great deal and then trimmed them up. So, 6 lbs of loin and into the brine/tender quick cure they went. I'm trying Trav's SlaughterHouse recipe which is a wet cure. Curious to see how the spices blend in and what the heat content ends up being.

So, I'll report back in a week and will either have good news or bad news
    Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Looking good so far. Sounds like your getting a great start to your first CB.

Looking forward to your results.

Comment

Thats pretty cheap for loin is it not? All these questions and posts on CB makin me want to get off my behind and start curing something! Keep us posted Abelman

Comment

Originally posted by DINGLE View Post
        Thats pretty cheap for loin is it not? All these questions and posts on CB makin me want to get off my behind and start curing something! Keep us posted Abelman

And while your out pick up a grinder and stuffer too..
        Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Good luck and I am sure it will be great CB. That is a excellent price on the loin!
          sigpic

My Facebook page
          http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Comment

If I can make CB, you can make CB! Glad to see you finally got it going. Once you've made your own you'll never look back. It's good stuff.
            sigpic
            Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
              And while your out pick up a grinder and stuffer too..
              Already started a Xmas wish list for the Mrs. TH.

Comment

Crap...for that price you could have made hot dogs
                Rock on!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Well, I'm a rookie at this whole bacon thing so I guess I'm on the right track so far, at least as far as getting the loin at a good price

I've smoked some stuffed loins before but the bacon thing is a new one. I love buying stuff on sale and keep an eye out. Bought two 5 lb whole yard birds today as well for 88 cents a lb. Got those vac packed and frozen as well as 5 lbs of wings.

I think some wings with a new recipe will be on the menu this weekend.

Sausage is one thing I want to make some day as well. One of these days Thanks guys/
                  Pete
                  Large BGE

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                    Well, I'm a rookie at this whole bacon thing so I guess I'm on the right track so far, at least as far as getting the loin at a good price

I've smoked some stuffed loins before but the bacon thing is a new one. I love buying stuff on sale and keep an eye out. Bought two 5 lb whole yard birds today as well for 88 cents a lb. Got those vac packed and frozen as well as 5 lbs of wings.

I think some wings with a new recipe will be on the menu this weekend.

Sausage is one thing I want to make some day as well. One of these days Thanks guys/
                    Last week, Albertson's had whole chickens (Tyson brand) for 57 cents per pound. I picked up six of them, still frozen and put them in the freezer. I didn't want to thaw them just to re-package, but will use them up fairly soon. Like you, I'm always looking for a deal.
                    sigpic
                    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how this comes out for you.
                      KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Pete you stole that loin!
                        It has not been on sale out here for a long time, I keep looking!!
                        You are in for a treat, you will love the cb. now the wait.......

Have you tried Vlaps jerk wings????? YUMMY!!!

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...ght=jerk+wings

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Well, this turned out pretty darn good. Thanks for the recipe Trav and the others around here who got me through this.

I wet brined these for 6 days with Trav's Salughterhouse recipe. It worked great and no salt issue. The test piece was perfect. Here's the look after 6 days:

I smoked them with apple and cherry at 225 until I hit 165 after I put on some jalapeno rub and CBP:

After they were done, I wrapped them and put them in the fridge for awhile and then went to slicing:

Got 5 and a half lbs of meat. Vacuum packed a lot of it and will give some to CB lovers as well as keeping some for sammies, etc.

Thanks again for all the help. I couldn't have done this without the forum.
                          Pete
                          Large BGE

Comment

Looks good bro! Once ya make your own, you'll never buy market again!

Comment

Wow Abelman, killer outcome and that was your first CB. Buddy you rocked it, kicked it's as*, out of the park. love it and you definetly deserve these . All the best and

On edit: love your slicer too.
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                              ---------------------------------------------------
                              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Working...
                              X