Pellet smoker question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pellet smoker question

I've had a Masterbuilt electric smoker and have used it for about 2 years now but just recently gave it to my son who moved in to a new house. Today, I was at Sam's Club and saw a new barrel design electric pellet smoker grill and really liked the looks of it.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/pellet-....ip?navAction=

Being completely unfamiliar with these, does the auger on these feed pellets continuously while it is cooking or can the auger be stopped and started on demand ? If so, can you grill something like say hamburger patties on one completely with the auger off, using heat only ?

With a pellet grill you set the temperature you want the pellet grill to run. The auger is thermostatically controlled to add more pellets into the burn pot as the heat is needed. As long as you have pellets in the hopper, it is as easy of a set it and forget it cooking tool as your electric Masterbuilt.
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Ok thanks MossyMO..... but if you were to cook something that you didn't want the smoke flavor on, will these still cook with just the heat ? I guess I'm saying if you didn't put pellets in the hopper, would it still cook ?
      My masterbuilt of course had a tube you removed to put however many chips you wanted or at whatever time you wanted to add them. For some reason, if I get too heavy of a smoke flavor on something, I get heartburn that almost needs a fire extinguisher to settle down.....

Comment

Originally posted by rico334 View Post
        Ok thanks MossyMO..... but if you were to cook something that you didn't want the smoke flavor on, will these still cook with just the heat ? I guess I'm saying if you didn't put pellets in the hopper, would it still cook ?
        No it has to have the pellets.
        My masterbuilt of course had a tube you removed to put however many chips you wanted or at whatever time you wanted to add them. For some reason, if I get too heavy of a smoke flavor on something, I get heartburn that almost needs a fire extinguisher to settle down.....
        If anything the pellet smokers are light on smoke. Most folks have to add something like an A-MAZE-N TUBE SMOKER.
        https://www.amazenproducts.com/Produ...ductCode=AMNTS

I think Owens BBQ sells them also.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

The pellet cookers don't have an electric heating coil. The heat is made by burning pellets. In my experience, cooking at higher temps, like you would do for burgers, will not produce much smoke flavor.
          Good One Heritage Oven
          Weber Performer Deluxe

sigpic

Comment

If you want to grill food with out smoke flavor than you should buy a Weber kettle...Can learn to grill and smoke with that tool...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

I got that same heartburn from a lot of my cooks in my Smoke Vault. My pellet grill does a much lighter smoke, still smokey but without the extreme taste. I think it's a creosote difference but that's just an opinion. The other thing with pellet cooking, you get more smoke at a lower temp, I smoke from 180 to about 240, the higher above that you go, the less smoke because the pellets are burning more efficiently. That's why a pellet unit can be used as an outdoor oven. Get it up to 375 and you're cooking with virtually no smoke. There may be a slight flavor change over an indoor oven because it's still a wood fire but I have never noticed it.

Comment

If you're getting too smokey of a flavor, you're adding too much wood or do not have adequate ventilation. Just my opinion though.
                Don

Humphrey's Pint
                Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
                Weber Performer (Black Top, Stainless Steel Table Edition circa 2005)
                Blackstone Professional Series 36" Griddle
                Weber Spirit SP-310 Gas Grill
                Anova One Sous Vide
                AMPS
                Purple Thermapen
                Maverick ET-733
                DigIQ DX2
                Misfit #1674

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tadowdaddy View Post
                  If you're getting too smokey of a flavor, you're adding too much wood or do not have adequate ventilation. Just my opinion though.
                  Or both...

Buddy of mine bought a Yoder 640 and now he cooks everything on it...Never uses his gasser to cook steaks or burgers...

Not sure if the pellet grill you're lookin at will get as hot as the 640...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Just cooked these..not smokey.........i love my pellet smoker but its tough to get much smoke flavor in my opinion....even with additional smoke added.

sigpic
                    GMG Daniel Boone
                    UDS
                    Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                    Vision Kamado grill
                    Weber Genesis Silver
                    Smokin Tex
                    MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                    Maverick ET 732
                    Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                    2 orange ThermoPops
                    A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                    A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                    Vortex

Comment

OK thanks guys.... like I mentioned, I don't know anything about these pellet smokers, so if I understand, these don't have a heating coil to generate the heat like my Master Built smoker does....... Ignorant question here but what ignites the pellets and regulates how the temperature that they burn at ?

Comment

There is a hot rod that ignites the pellets at lower temps and "smoke" setting the auger drops pellets in at a rate to maintain the temp you set it to which results in the fire smoldering producing smoke .
                        Set it over 300 degrees the auger is going to pump pellets in at a higher rate creating more fuel and the fan feeding it will cause the pellets to burn quicker and not smolder .

The hot rod I mentioned typically is only on during the initial startup until a set temp is achieved in the grill ( mine is 130 degrees) after that it's all auger feeding pellets , fan feeding it oxygen .

Comment

For some reason, if I get too heavy of a smoke flavor on something, I get heartburn that almost needs a fire extinguisher to settle down.....
                          That's classic creosote symptom there. Typical causes are too much wood, lack of airflow, or a combination of both. Incomplete combustion basically. your smoke should NOT be heavy white, but a thin blue/grey.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                            If you want to grill food with out smoke flavor than you should buy a Weber kettle...Can learn to grill and smoke with that tool...
                            X2! Weber has the right tools for the job. Couple a kettle with the vortex... you ready to rock!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                            X