Help with smoking trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with smoking trout

Good morning. My son caught 5 small (about 12 inches long) trout earlier this week. He wants me to smoke them for snacking, not for dinner. I have the trout de-boned (way easier than I was expecting) and in a brine (1/2 gal water, 3/4 cup salt, 1/3 c brown sugar and spices). The fish is about 1/2 inch thick at the thickest part. How long do I need to leave them in the brine? Do I need to soak them in plain water after the brine before drying them? Everything I read is for big chunks of fish. Also, at what temperature and for how long do I need to smoke them in an electric MasterBuilt? Thanks for the help!!

Here is a good step by step by Bearcarver for smoking salmon on a Masterbuilt.

Most of it would probably apply here as well.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19864

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
      Here is a good step by step by Bearcarver for smoking salmon on a Masterbuilt.

Most of it would probably apply here as well.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19864

Dave
      X2, I back off on the salt a bit, but a solid method!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Ranchwife View Post
        Good morning. My son caught 5 small (about 12 inches long) trout earlier this week. He wants me to smoke them for snacking, not for dinner. I have the trout de-boned (way easier than I was expecting) and in a brine (1/2 gal water, 3/4 cup salt, 1/3 c brown sugar and spices). The fish is about 1/2 inch thick at the thickest part. How long do I need to leave them in the brine? Do I need to soak them in plain water after the brine before drying them? Everything I read is for big chunks of fish. Also, at what temperature and for how long do I need to smoke them in an electric MasterBuilt? Thanks for the help!!

Hi Ranchwife!!

This one goes along with the one DDave posted, but this one is more like the size fish you're doing. It probably covers your questions.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22193

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks for the help. I brined the fish for about 1 hour, dried them, then put them in front of the AC to dry them for about an hour. I smoked them at 185 with alder for about 3 hours. That is the way trout was meant cooked. No more frying, grilling, or steaming. Just smoked from here on out. When can I send my son to fish with my father again? :)

Comment

Thanks for the help. I brined the fish for about 1 hour, dried them, then put them in front of the AC to dry them for about an hour. I smoked them at 185 with alder for about 3 hours. That is the way trout was meant cooked. No more frying, grilling, or steaming. Just smoked from here on out. When can I send my son to fish with my father again? :)
            Nice! A lot quicker brine than I am used to, but there are a lot of different ways to cook, cure, smoke, etc.... Everything..... Have them kids keep at it (fishing) and toss that big Nightcrawler right along the opposite side of the creek/stream bank..... Then hold on
            sigpic

Comment

i'd probably brine overnight - but with the amount of salt I actually wanted. That said smoked trout for snacking - like jerky - can get away with being pretty salty.
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

The fish were small with the thickest meat being maybe 1/2 inch. I didn't want the meat to be too salty and the hour of brine time was plenty. I think if I had them in the brine any longer they would have been way too salty.

Comment

The fish were small with the thickest meat being maybe 1/2 inch. I didn't want the meat to be too salty and the hour of brine time was plenty. I think if I had them in the brine any longer they would have been way too salty.

You're correct.
                  It depends on your Brine strength & the Thickness of the Fish.
                  With the amount of salt in your Brine, the hour works Great.

Even with my Fish Brine, I only Brine thin pieces for 4 hours & thick pieces for 6 hours, and it works Great.

If you can figure out the right amount of Salt per fish to be an equilibrium Brine, you could Brine over night without it getting too salty, but that's the only way I would brine over night.

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Working...
                  X