homemade smoker questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• homemade smoker questions.

I am takeing a welding class this semester for college. I am talking mig welding then going to take tig and then ark. I have been wanting to make a welder for a year or so. Got a few questions.
    What kind of barrel should i use. I found some new steel painted for about 50 bucks. There just normal steel drums. closed caps or opend either way.
    They sya they have rust inhibitor or a eboxy coating. I know the eboxy coating is not need and properly a bad idea but what about the rust inhibitor.
    They have them down to 8 gallons i was thinking a 55 for the meat box and a 20 for the smoke box properly just a normal off set unless any of you have a better idea. Also with paying 50 bucks per barrel then the racks stand welding it all my self and painting it. Could i make a few and maybe sell them and make alittle cash. Or would trying that be a waste of time. I have a nieghbor that has a torch i am sure i could use to cut everything.
    Just need to get the welder which i plan to any way. What would the complete setup be worth. also any plans for the setup or the stand would be great.

50 Bones per barrel sounds damn high to me.. Have you looked on Craigslist.com in your area??/ I can find them new and used here all day long for $15 / $25

And if you get one with the epoxy or coating inside, be sure to burn an nice hot fire inside to burn it off. Or get a LP weed Burner

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

I will look there. theres a barel company in the next town. I checked there site and it is the same price. Plus they do public sales and pickup so no shipping.
      Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
      50 Bones per barrel sounds damn high to me.. Have you looked on Craigslist.com in your area??/ I can find them new and used here all day long for $15 / $25

And if you get one with the epoxy or coating inside, be sure to burn an nice hot fire inside to burn it off. Or get a LP weed Burner

Comment

also they had ones that where lined and unlined i am assuming the unlined ones will just need a cleaning.

Comment

Make sure to get the unlined ones. Also, why not just make a drum smoker from them instead. Ya might be able to sell them a tad easier than an offset.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
            I will look there. theres a barel company in the next town. I checked there site and it is the same price. Plus they do public sales and pickup so no shipping.

Here I found a few near you...

55 Gallon Metal Barrels--$5 EACH--You Pick Up - $5 (Plainfield)

<hr> Date: 2009-08-15, 6:46PM EDT
            Reply to: sale-wkwcw-1325270219@craigslist.org <sup>[Errors when replying to ads?]</sup>
            <hr>
            We have many 55 gallon barrels for only $5 each. These are metal barrels. We have them with the lids on, and off. Whichever you prefer. You Pick up. If interested please email.
            Thanks.

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
            Drums / Barrels - $30 (Whiteland/Franklin)

<hr> Date: 2009-08-12, 5:20PM EDT
            Reply to: sale-cakkg-1319960416@craigslist.org <sup>[Errors when replying to ads?]</sup>
            <hr>
            FOOD GRADE - 55 GALLON. These drums / barrels are in brand new condition and have only been used once! Perfect for
            potable water. As well as food storage. Great for cattle, horses and livestock. Take along with you camping. Any and all ideas are sustainable!
            55gal./$25ea. Please call 317-333-2808 day/night for any and all questions, thank you.

Keywords: Water Storage Barrel – Water Harvesting - Diesel Fuel – Fire Water Storage - Compost - Rain Barrel - Camping Equipment - Fire Prevention - Gray Water Systems - Water Recycling Systems - Making Bio-Diesel - Collecting and Storing Used Vegetable Oil / WVO - Storing oil - Moving Containers - Storage Container - Hydroponics / Hydroponic garden - Water Reservoir - National and International Shipping Containers - Earthquake Readiness Container - Emergency Water Storage - Rain Water Catching Systems – Trash / Garbage Cans - Recycling Can - Compost Making - Flower Pots - Water Irrigation system - Camping Storage- Glamis Shower Barrels, Rain Barrels - Clothing Storage - Shipping - Recycle Cans, Bottles or Plastic - Bait or Fish Holding Tank - Solar Water Heater Storage - Parts Wash Down – Bio Diesel Fuel - Septic Tanks for RV's - Water transfer container - Aquarium cleaning - Dairy feed container - Chicken feed container - Dog food container - Cat food container - Bulk storage- Barrel racing - Koi transfer

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

<table summary="craigslist hosted images"><tbody><tr><td align="center"></td> <td align="center">
            </td></tr></tbody></table>
            Ken

Comment

true. I will have to do a search for plans. Is that one that is standing staight up and down.
              Originally posted by RickW View Post
              Make sure to get the unlined ones. Also, why not just make a drum smoker from them instead. Ya might be able to sell them a tad easier than an offset.

Comment

Thanks i will give them a call i dont think it said what was in them

Comment

Originally posted by bigtim665 View Post
                  true. I will have to do a search for plans. Is that one that is standing staight up and down.
                  Yes... You can see the basic build here... http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=457
                  Ken

Comment

I've got a question, I know a place where I can get 55 gal drums, they were used for grape juice, the barrels are $10 and the lids(with the lever locking rings) are $5, the inside of the drums are a orangish red color. Is this the epoxy liner that needs to be burned off or is it just paint? I want to make a double barrel smoker, and I was thinking of welding a lid on the top barrel and using the locking ring on the bottom so if I wanted I could get in the barrel with easier access than through the cast iron door. Thanks
                    Ty

Comment

Ty- either epoxy or paint... needs to be cooked off. Load of charcoal and logs.
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks, Will do.

Comment

Working...
                        X