Apple Flavored Jerky Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Flavored Jerky Recipe

This is a marinade recipe that I came up with about 10 years back. This recipe does include TQ salt but I only added it for the naysayers on cure in jerky.This recipe will work with beef, venison, or elk. Those are the only 3 meats I have used it for. It took over a year to tweak it where I was close to satisfied and still change it up now then. Its a sweet jerky and for your first time I would follow it as close as you can. Some of the ingrediates maybe hard to find but I found them eventually in bigger food chains. It is slightly sweet with a tang of pepper for good measure. The result is perishable and must be refridgerated, unless it is dried completely.

5 lbs of meat I cut it at 1/8 thickness for easy drying.
    2 C Teriyaki Sauce
    2 C Apple Concentrate
    1 C Brown Sugar
    2 T Morton Tender Quick (Optional)
    1 T Kitchen Bouquet seasoning(its a liquid form look in liquid smoke area)
    2 t Lowry's Seasoning salt
    1 t Adolphs meat tenderizer
    1 T Salt
    1/2 t Black Pepper
    1 t of red pepper
    2 t of White Pepper
    2 t Accent seasoning
    1 t garlic powder
    1 t onion powder
    1 T Liquid Smoke (if your using a food dehydrater)
    Mix all ingredients, place meat and marinate in covered plastic container. Put in refrigerator for 24 hours. Smoke as you would normal jerky not over 165 though. When complete store in air tight bags in the refrigerator or freeze for extended time. When in the refrigerator it will start to get a moisture residue over it its better when it does that.
    You can change it out with Soy Sauce instead of Teriyaki and it will take the sweetness down. I also add extra Cayenne pepper to it to kick it up a notch. To much Cayenne will kill the taste. I used Apple concentrate cause it will give it a stronger apple flavor, you can use apple cider or apple juice. If i need more liquid to cover my meat I use apple juice but you can cut it with water. Don't be afraid to play with it.
    DDave I hope this will work for you. Myself I take it to just before dry but yet a little give. When in the fridge don't panic when it gets moist. I always keep in it the fridge.
    I also shake it up when I marinade it to keep the season mixed up. Also when I added pink cure it does change the consistency of the marinade a little bit but dun'y worry about it.
    Last edited by JustSmoke2; 08-21-2009, 10:29 PM. Reason: to add another step
    If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
    Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

I like the look of this - quite a lot of stuff I just can't get over here (and have never heard of anyway lol)
    but I can see the shape of the flavour profile.

apple concentrate - is that like a cordial that you dilute to drink, or a sort of apple sauce ?
    Definitely putting apple flavoured jerky on the list :-)
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

CA its the kind ya drink, I use frozen or we have a can concentrate and I use it straight up. I have done it with apple wine, apple juice , and apple cider, they all work but the concentrate brings out the stronger flavor.
      There is a lot to it but at first I didn't have them items in it. Go with what you have and build from there.
      If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
      Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

Working...
      X