Lang Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lang Modifications

Ma Dutch has given me the okay to get a Lang smoker. Looking at the Mobile 60 Deluxe.

My questions is, has anybody with a Lang made any mods to their unit and if so, what did you do?

I'm thinking of doing a sliding bottom rack to make doing whole hogs easier and maybe raising up the shelf/fender up to the bottom of the door.

My son the fabricator suggests cutting a door on the other side ala the 84 model. I need to talk to Ben and see if it's doable on the 60. Want it done right from the git go if ya know what I mean!
    Dutch

Brinkmann Gourmet H2O charcoal
    GOSM Big Block Propane w/sfb
    Ugly Drum Smoker-electric
    Lang Mobile 60 Deluxe

kewl beans Dutch..........Capt. Dan will be along soon i bet, and he can answer your questions.........

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Wow... Congrats on the soon to be addition to the family..
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

If youre gonna do mods to a Lang, let Ben do em...if he will...

Lang Custom mobile 60...thats cool.
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
          Ma Dutch has given me the okay to get a Lang smoker. Looking at the Mobile 60 Deluxe.

My questions is, has anybody with a Lang made any mods to their unit and if so, what did you do?

I'm thinking of doing a sliding bottom rack to make doing whole hogs easier and maybe raising up the shelf/fender up to the bottom of the door.

My son the fabricator suggests cutting a door on the other side ala the 84 model. I need to talk to Ben and see if it's doable on the 60. Want it done right from the git go if ya know what I mean!
          Dutch here are the mods I have built or have planned for my 48. May be usefull on the 60 also. I would also seek out SmokenSteve. He has modified his 60 big time. Ok on to mine.

I built a gas starter/assist out of black pipe and a venturi from TJAS. Will install soon I hope. Tested fine.

A heavy old sheppards hook has been scrounged for a lantern hanger on opposite side of door from stack.

I found 3 bakers baskets 3 foot wide and 9 inches deep at a auction cheap. I plan on installing interior hooks to hang these or a sausage rod on.

I metal 2 inch pipe to be welded on tounge as a umbrella holder is a thought also.

Rick
          sigpic

My Facebook page
          http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?to...Q/131613189083

Comment

Originally posted by ShooterRick View Post
            Dutch here are the mods I have built or have planned for my 48. May be usefull on the 60 also. I would also seek out SmokenSteve. He has modified his 60 big time. Ok on to mine.
            I built a gas starter/assist out of black pipe and a venturi from TJAS. Will install soon I hope. Tested fine.
            I have a propane weed burner, so the gas starter is covered.
            A heavy old sheppards hook has been scrounged for a lantern hanger on opposite side of door from stack.
            Excellent idea! Gotta be able to see when you have to fire up the smoker at 0dark:30
            I found 3 bakers baskets 3 foot wide and 9 inches deep at a auction cheap. I plan on installing interior hooks to hang these or a sausage rod on.
            I'd like to see those baskets, Rick.
            I metal 2 inch pipe to be welded on tounge as a umbrella holder is a thought also.
            Nice touch. I have a 10'X10' quik shade that I use a lot. An umbrella with BBQ would be a nice touch and a heck of a lot easier to put up!
            Dutch

Lang Mobile 60 Deluxe

Comment

Nice touch. I have a 10'X10' quik shade that I use a lot. An umbrella with BBQ would be a nice touch and a heck of a lot easier to put up!
              And not that the Lang cares alot... but rain protection for the cook at least...as we found out in out last couple comps...sigh...
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

and when worse comes to worse... i had an umbrella i hose clamped to 3/4" pvc & stuck in a fishing rod holder i bailing wired to my snp w/ liberal amounts of duct tape because it was there...
                Last edited by blues_n_cues; 08-23-2009, 10:36 AM. Reason: oops wrong pic.
                brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                cast iron Hibachi
                22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                & rotisserator
                12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                my music recordings-
                http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

I love my 60 mobile deluxe, so does Rich( I seen him makin eyes at her all weekend), although sat morning, I think he wanted to climb inside it!

If your son is a fabricator,Have him do it. Make a rack to slide across the exsisting racks. The top of them are at door height at the bottom. I would suggest a 84 if you are gonna do alot of whole hogs, or hogs bigger than 120-130 lbs.

remember, the more doors you have, its added weight and added leaks of heat.

Did I mention , I love my Lang!

Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Hope you didn't catch hm dry humping it... lol
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                      It was raining at that moment, Ken
                      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Requested Dutch pics

Dutch here are a few low quality pics of the wire baskets I spoke about. Also the reason I am mounting a gas burner is if needed I can finish a cook with gas say at the river or remote if out of decent wood. She holds at 260 with my burner set low as it will go. Anyway here are the pics so click to enlarge.

wireracks.jpg
                        sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

Thanks for the pics, Rick. Ma has some of those that are 5 inches wide that she uses to put rolls in when we eat fancy like during the holidays.
                          Dutch

Lang Mobile 60 Deluxe

Comment

Thanks for the pics, Rick. Ma has some of those that are 5 inches wide that she uses to put rolls in when we eat fancy like during the holidays.
                            Will she believe you are installing bun warmers in the lang? LOL
                            sigpic

My Facebook page

Comment

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                              It was raining at that moment, Ken

Good luck with your new family member dutch :-)
                              Although as a stony broke englishman I'd be inclined to buy something that did what I wanted from the getgo without having to be modified (and presumably invalidating any warranty) as soon as I bought it. Or I'd get something cheaper specifically for modding.
                              And from what i've seen langs ain't any part of cheap.

Hang on, arn't you missing something here - your son IS A FABRICATOR - you want a shiny new smoker. Christmas is (I know I Know, I hate myself for mentioning it) only 4 months away :-)
                              Why don't you buy the bits and he build it for your you for christmas ?
                              That way you get what you want and get to hang out with your son criticisin- uh, supervising :-)
                              Last edited by curious aardvark; 08-28-2009, 10:13 AM.
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X