X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First lawsuit filed in connection with whole hog recall

First lawsuit filed in connection with whole hog recall
    8/17/2015 - by

HOUSTON – The law firm of Ron Simon & Associates, which specializes in food poisoning litigation, filed the first lawsuit on Aug. 14 stemming from the recent outbreak of Salmonella linked to roasted whole hogs in Washington State. Kapowsin Meats, a Graham, Wash., hog wholesaler, announced a recall of approximately 116,262 lbs. of whole hogs that may be contaminated with Salmonella, the US Dept. of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced Aug. 13. The item being recalled is Kapowsin Meats’ hogs for barbeque item that were produced between April 18 and July 27.

On July 15, the Washington State Dept. of Health notified FSIS of an investigation of Salmonella illnesses. After continuing the investigation in conjunction with the Washington State Dept. of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), FSIS discovered a link between whole hogs from Kapowsin Meats and the illnesses. A traceback investigation has identified 32 patients who consumed meat from the company’s whole hogs prior to illness onset.

The 32 documented illnesses are part of a larger illness investigation, according to FSIS. Based on epidemiological evidence, 134 case-patients have been identified in Washington with illness onset dates ranging from April 25 to July 29. FSIS continues to work with public health partners on this ongoing investigation. FSIS and the company are concerned that some product may be frozen and in consumers' freezers.

The lawsuit was filed in Pierce County on behalf of Tiffany and Naylyn Guiles, after Naylyn, 19 months old, became ill and was hospitalized after eating bits of roasted whole hog served at a celebration. According to the law firm, she was one of about 18 individuals who were sickened after being served pork from a whole roasted hog purchased from Stewart’s Meats, which is supplied by Kapowsin Meats. The party where the food was served was June 28, and Naylyn became ill on June 29.

Physicians treated the child for high fever, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, malaise, dehydration, chills, and dry lips and sunken eyes. She was hospitalized and treated, before being released on July 3. A stool sample test was performed and confirmed that Naylyn was a part of the Washington Salmonella outbreak linked to whole roasted hogs from Kapowsin Meats, according to the attorney.
    ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
    ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Crap... on top of that were they eh? Sheesh.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

next is a vid on FB...with a truck load of pigs in heat stress & people trying too get water to em...i am ethical...was a bit wrong...move em to market...
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

This could be the end for Kapowsin Meats... what an expensive clusterfuck that gonna be...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I'm kinda confused, were they whole hogs for roasting or pre-cooked hogs?
          They didn't get cooked properly or they were handled so badly in production that the salmonella actually flourished before sale???? Holy Crimea!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
            I'm kinda confused, were they whole hogs for roasting or pre-cooked hogs?
            They didn't get cooked properly or they were handled so badly in production that the salmonella actually flourished before sale???? Holy Crimea!
            Yeah, I was wondering that too... bottom line, somebody did something bad wrong, and somebody gonna pay for it... big time!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Let the finger pointing begin......

And the winner will be the lawyers, everybody else looses.
              Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Originally posted by dward51 View Post
                Let the finger pointing begin......

And the winner will be the lawyers, everybody else looses.
                aYup.

None of my lawyer customers read this. they'd not condescend to dirty their hands on a pit/grill mostly.

I charge them 10% more, typically. Should be more
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by THUMPERRRR View Post

Kapowsin Meats, a Graham, Wash., hog wholesaler, announced a recall of approximately 116,262 lbs. of whole hogs that may be contaminated with Salmonella, the US Dept. of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced Aug. 13. The item being recalled is Kapowsin Meats’ hogs for barbeque item that were produced between April 18 and July 27.
                  In re-reading the original story, the wholesaler is recalling the meat and there was only mention of the retailer who sold the hog to the people who got sick at a party. Sounds like the contamination happened at Kapowsin Meats for them to recall 58 tons of whole hogs that had been shipped.
                  Dave

I love coming home. My back porch smells just like a BBQ joint.....

Comment

Update

UPDATE
                    News Release
                    Kapowsin Meats Recalls Pork Product Due To Possible Salmonella Contamination
                    Class I Recall 110-2015 expansion
                    Health Risk: High

Aug 27, 2015

Congressional and Public Affairs
                    Gabrielle N. Johnston
                    (202) 720-9113

EDITORS NOTE: This release is being reissued to expand the August 13, 2015 recall to include additional products. Details of this release were also updated to reflect a change in poundage, epidemiological informational and distribution area.

WASHINGTON, Aug. 27, 2015 – Kapowsin Meats, a Graham, Wash. establishment, is recalling approximately 523,380 pounds of pork products that may be contaminated with Salmonella I 4,[5],12:i:-, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

FSIS has been conducting intensified sampling at Kapowsin Meats while this establishment took steps to address sanitary conditions at their facility after the original recall on August 13, 2015. Sampling revealed positive results for Salmonella I 4,[5],12:i:- on Whole Hogs for Barbeque, associated pork products and throughout the establishment. FSIS has deemed sanitary improvement efforts made by the Kapowsin Meats insufficient, and the scope of this recall has been expanded to include all products associated with contaminated source material. The establishment has voluntarily suspended operations.

The whole hogs and associated items were produced on various dates between April 18, 2015 and August 26, 2015. The following products are subject to recall: [View Labels (PDF Only)]

Varying weights of boxed/bagged Whole Hogs for Barbeque
                    Varying weights of boxed/bagged fabricated pork products including various pork offal products, pork blood and pork trim.

The product subject to recall bears the establishment number “Est. 1628” inside the USDA mark of inspection. The product was shipped to various individuals, retail locations, institutions, and distributors in Alaska, Oregon and Washington.

On July 15, 2015, the Washington State Department of Health notified FSIS of an investigation of Salmonella I 4,[5],12:i:- illnesses. Working in conjunction with the Washington State Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), FSIS determined that there is a link between whole hogs for barbeque and pork products from Kapowsin Meats and these illnesses. Traceback investigation has identified 36 case-patients who consumed whole hogs for barbeque or pork products from this establishment prior to illness onset. These illnesses are part of a larger illness investigation. Based on epidemiological evidence, 152 case-patients have been identified in Washington with illness onset dates ranging from April 25, 2015 to August 12, 2015. FSIS continues to work with our public health partners on this ongoing investigation.

Consumption of food contaminated with Salmonella can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. The most common symptoms of salmonellosis are diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and fever within 12 to 72 hours after eating the contaminated product. The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days. Most people recover without treatment. In some persons, however, the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized. Older adults, infants, and persons with weakened immune systems are more likely to develop a severe illness. Individuals concerned about an illness should contact their health care provider.

FSIS and the company are concerned that some product may be frozen and in consumers' freezers. Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them, and should throw them away or return the products to the place of purchase.

FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers. When available, the retail distribution list(s) will be posted on the FSIS website at www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls.

FSIS advises all consumers to safely prepare their raw meat products, including fresh and frozen, and only consume pork and whole hogs for barbeque that have been cooked to a minimum internal temperature of 145° F with a three minute rest time. The only way to confirm that whole hogs for barbeque are cooked to a temperature high enough to kill harmful bacteria is to use a food thermometer that measures internal temperature, http://1.usa.gov/1cDxcDQ. For whole hogs for barbeque make sure to check the internal temperature with a food thermometer in several places. Check the temperature frequently and replenish wood or coals to make sure the fire stays hot. Remove only enough meat from the carcass as you can serve within 1-2 hours.

Media and consumers with questions regarding the recall can contact John Anderson, Owner, at (253) 847-1777.

Consumers with food safety questions can "Ask Karen," the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov or via smartphone at m.askkaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day. The online Electronic Consumer Complaint Monitoring System can be accessed 24 hours a day at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/reportproblem.

PREPARING PRODUCT FOR SAFE CONSUMPTION
                    USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline
                    1-888-MPHOTLINE or visit
                    www.fsis.usda.gov

Wash hands with soap water for at least 20 seconds before and after handling raw meat and poultry. Also, wash cutting boards, dishes and utensils with hot, soapy water. Clean spills immediately.

Keep raw meat, fish and poultry away from other food that will not be cooked. Use one cutting board for raw meat, poultry and egg products and a separate one for fresh produce and cooked foods.

Color is NOT a reliable indicator that meat has been cooked to a temperature high enough to kill harmful bacteria.

The only way to be sure the meat or poultry is cooked to a high enough temperature to kill harmful bacteria is to use a food thermometer to measure the internal temperature.

Beef, Pork, Lamb, &Veal (steaks, roasts, chops): 145°F with a three minute rest time
                    Ground meat: 160°F
                    Whole poultry, poultry breasts, & ground poultry: 165°F
                    Fish: 145°F

Refrigerate raw meat and poultry within two hours after purchase or one hour if temperatures exceed 90º F. Refrigerate cooked meat and poultry within two hours after cooking.

USDA Recall Classifications
                    Class I This is a health hazard situation where there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death.
                    Class II This is a health hazard situation where there is a remote probability of adverse health consequences from the use of the product.
                    Class III This is a situation where the use of the product will not cause adverse health consequences.
                    ~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
                    ~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Comment

Once again.. cook your meat and wash your hands. Trust no processing beforehand. And don't eat blowfish

Comment

Working...
                      X