Cheap ribeye in SV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap ribeye in SV

This is my third cook on some cheap ribeyes I picked up this summer. I was hoping that the SV would help knock them up a notch. The first cook was 2 hours and a sear. My jaw was sore the next day after eating. The second cook was 4 hours and it was better but still not there yet. I left these in the SV for 8 hours.
    rubbed and vac paced

in the bath at 129

quick sear using the jet burner and 15 inch CI skillet

on the plate

The cut...poor pic

It turned out pretty good and was the best steak yet. I'll be honest though in saying that I still have not been able to turn a $5 steak into a $12 steak.
    Z
    sigpic
    GMG Daniel Boone
    UDS
    Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
    Vision Kamado grill
    Weber Genesis Silver
    Smokin Tex
    MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
    Maverick ET 732
    Brown and lime green ThermaPens
    2 orange ThermoPops
    A-Maze-N Tube 18"
    A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
    Vortex

[QUOTE=I'll be honest though in saying that I still have not been able to turn a $5 steak into a $12 steak.
    Z[/QUOTE]

It looks good.

I agree about turning a $5 steak into a $12 steak. JMHO, but it's not going to happen. Once it goes past a certain length of time the texture starts to turn and then the mouth feel goes from tender to more of a mushy feel(for lack of a better term). It may help a marginal quality steak a little, but in the end there is no substitution for good quality meat.

JMHO-YMMV
    Jim

Comment

I have to agree, I've tried a half dozen times to cook up those $5.99/lb boneless Ribeyes that come from who knows where. Government inspected, yeah, but not graded. They look good in the package, marbling and all, but they don't cook up. I think they're cactus and tumbleweed fed. Seems like the bath helps a little, but not much and if you go past a certain point, just mushy meat.

Comment

Working...
      X