smoked albacore almost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smoked albacore almost

On Saturday august 22 we went out of Lapush fishing for tuna it was an awesome day on the water
    My buddy Lyle invited me to go along with him for a Tuna fishing trip the weather report called for seas to build to 9-11 ft and a 10-20 knt wind we decided to go anyway because the wind and sea was not going to hit us until the late afternoon i was glads we did
    we left the river at 0650 and ran 32 miles out and the water temp got up to 58.5 degrees so we tried fishing for about 30 min with nothing another boat called us and said that he was 38 miles out and put his lines out withen 5 min he had 3 on board so we reeled in our lines and headed out when we got 35 miles out the water temp hit 60.5 degrees so we stopped to fish
    we got 9 tuna in the boat during the first 1 hour fishing was great then it shut down nothing for the next 1 hour we searched for birds or jumpers we seen a few jumpers but they would not bite the rest of the day it was hit and miss one fish here two fish there time to relax and have some lunch we caught a few more and trolled for a few more hours we ended up with 27 tuna total i took 7 home with me for canning
    i filleted the tuna and decided to try the tuna belly in the smoker they say that they are the best eating of the smoked fish so i put the belly's into a ziploc bag so i could smoke them later in the day while i did other things i set the bag in the sink in the house and went to cleaning things up the wife was getting ready to can the tuna and she spotted the tuna in the sink thinking it was gonna be for canning she stuffed them into a few jars and proceeded to can all my tuna belly's i found out when i went looking for them and asked what happened to the fish that was in the sink she said she put them in the canner o well i will have smoked tuna next year LOL its been an awesome weekend

Smoked albacore
    i wrapped the fillets in bacon and threw them into the smoker at a temp of 325 using apple for smoke i smoked them for 30 min they turned out really good

Canned Tuna

Dinner

Last edited by salmonclubber; 08-25-2009, 07:53 AM.

Happyness is a full smoker

Tell Baby she done good!.....yer kitchen pass will be good fer 90 day's!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

sounds like a cool day on the water.
      SCOTT

Comment

updated with more pics

Comment

Wow, now that looks awesome. Love me some fish...
          Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

looks like agreat day and a pretty decent haul.

so the stuff in the jars - is that cooked, pickled or what ???
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Nice Job Huey!..... Living on the water has it's benefits eh?

CA-The Tuna in the jar is pressure canned (Cooked). It is fantastico!
              sigpic

Comment

Nice score!
                Pete
                Large BGE
                Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

yes the stuff in the jars is canned tuna and it is some great stuff

Comment

Huey, everything looks great! That's got to be fun. I need to move closer to an ocean.
                    jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Jeanie come on up i will take you fishing

Comment

Clubber -
                        How do you can the meat?
                        Do you cook it first?
                        I've no idea how to can meats.

I've done pickles, mixed veggies, sausages, green beans for bloodies, but not a meat.

I mean you don't vinegar pack that stuff.
                        Water, oil, both? Spices?

Comment

V

I use a pressure cooker i place the fish in the jars and add a half teaspoon of salt and a small amount of water put the lid on and place into the pressure cooker and cook at 11 pounds of pressure for 100 min the pressure cooker uses steam to cook and seal the jars

Comment

how long does the canned tuna keep for ?

And did you vacpack and freeze any for grilling ?
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

i usually do 100 pounds of tuna that the whole fish after filleting and trimming it is around 50-60 pounds this will last our family about 2 years on this batch i saved 2 fillets for grilling it is gone now it was great stuff

Comment

Working...
                              X