Another reason why you should be grinding your own hamburger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another reason why you should be grinding your own hamburger

Basically ALL store bought ground beef contains poop. Once my current supply of butcher cut beef runs out, I guess I'll be digging out the grinder.

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philp...otic-resistant
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

I read the article, and I always look at a few comments if they have that option enabled. It immediately devolved into a vegan -vs- carnivore slug fest which is always humorous. That and the way Vegans look down their noses at everyone else.

I haven't begun grinding my own burger, but have certainly thought about it. I could easily grab a big 'ol hunk of cow at Restaurant Depot and run that through the grinder...but then I'd have to clean the grinder...what a PITA.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
      I read the article, and I always look at a few comments if they have that option enabled. It immediately devolved into a vegan -vs- carnivore slug fest which is always humorous. That and the way Vegans look down their noses at everyone else.
      --
      I haven't begun grinding my own burger, but have certainly thought about it. I could easily grab a big 'ol hunk of cow at Restaurant Depot and run that through the grinder...but then I'd have to clean the grinder...what a PITA.
      Many years ago I quit eating at McYDzz when I read in a futures report that they had cornered the world market on beef anuses. Yes it it a traded commodity! The other cool thing they (industry) do - use ground denatured mustard as a filler. Mustard is considered a condiment so it does not have to be listed on the packaging.
      If I cook ground meat, it coming out of my grinder! Grinder not a big deal to clean. I have a vintage (all metal) Hobart grinder that fits on my 6qt Kitchenaid mixer. Workes better than my meat grinder did, so I gave the grinder away. Completely different game from the PLASTIC chit they sell today!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I always, always, always grind me own... I'm in control of what I feed my family, and can add whatever I want to it, not what "they" want.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
          I always, always, always grind me own... I'm in control of what I feed my family, and can add whatever I want to it, not what "they" want.
          Or have "left over"!
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I hope everyone understands that the ground meat that is being referred to is the ground meat that is ground and packed at a wholesale packing house, then sold and shipped to grocery chains and stores. It is sold in the 3, 5, or whatever size pre-packaged, plastic tubes or the packaged boxes of beef pattys. This is not the ground daily meat sold in the meat case at most stores.

If you buy the meat in whole chunks from the store and grind it yourself or you buy the fresh daily ground meat that they ground from the same chunks of meat it is the same. Most stores will even grind roasts for you that you buy from them.

I won't buy the tubes of ground beef or the boxed pattys(I'm sure most here wouldn't buy the tubes either). They are also the ones that get re-called not the local ground meat in the stores.
            Last edited by BYBBQ; 08-25-2015, 02:41 PM.
            Jim

Comment

If you grind at home you're still gonna get shit in the meat. It could be on the outside of the brisket, Chuck, sirloin, etc. That you'd grind. Chance's are its probably a lower percentage. Wish they'd do that study, how much is on Chuck roast. I'm not saying not to grind your own, it just may not reduce this problem.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                If you grind at home you're still gonna get shit in the meat. It could be on the outside of the brisket, Chuck, sirloin, etc. That you'd grind.
                Perhaps. But you also have the ability to give it a rinse first. Despite many saying NOT to rinse meat..especially chicken...I do. Always.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  Perhaps. But you also have the ability to give it a rinse first. Despite many saying NOT to rinse meat..especially chicken...I do. Always.
                  We've always rinsed our deer out after gutting. However numerous magazines have said not to do that cause you could be spreading bacteria around. I still rinse though. I get what your saying Rich, my point is just cause you grind your own meat it may not prevent this. It can show up anyway, butcher, supermarket, home grind, and etc. Bottom line is cook it to the proper temp.
                  sigpic

Comment

Bottom line is cook it to the proper temp.
                    Well of course. I suppose a turd cooked to 170 is fine.
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      Well of course. I suppose a turd cooked to 170 is fine.
                      What rub would you use with those turds Rich?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

yep, those chubs of ground beef are not my choice of product to use. Not a fan of the factory meat.

Typically get mine ground to order at the butchers i go to, a couple i trust Ill go with whats in the display case as long as it was ground that A.M.

Risk associated with everything, Ill trust the smaller operations with the ground cuts I use as i am not eating any burger thats not medium rare.
                        Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                          What rub would you use with those turds Rich?
                          Not sure on rub but maybe a mahogany red sauce for dipping
                          sigpic

Comment

Maybe GP rub But I don't think I would recommend brining.
                            Jim

Comment

Not sure on rub but maybe a mahogany red sauce for dipping
                              Be sure to microwave them, just to be sure... wanna make sure your shit is done...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X