Chucks, the other pulled meat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chucks, the other pulled meat!

There is always an argument about which makes the best BBQ. I am not talking about BBQ food , but BBQ. In many corners of our nation BBQ means pulled meat sandwiches, pulled pork, chopped brisket, Pig pickens, also know as Barbeque sandwiches. Now I have been fascinated with BBQ alot longer than I have been cooking it,at least cooking it right.
    There are regional preferences as to which pulled meat is served. Up here in the midwest, I guess we get alil bit of everything, and its just fun to try all the tastes of BBQ.
    When I first got into this hobby, I never heard anything about smoked chuck roasts.I developed a good relationship with my butcher of many years,and conversations lead me to do some research about the heritage of BBQ beef.While I don't have a link or reference to my findings, only my memory ,I found that in the early days,huge amounts of people were fed pulled beef at social gatherings and events.The cooks or pitmasters would have huge trench's dug often 50 ft long. They would then start fires in these trench's and then roll logs into the fires and start huge fires in order to get a coal bed for these Barbeques.These fires would burn for 12-20 hrs before the beef was added.The beef that they used were huge primal cuts called "shoulder clods". They would add these meats and turn them every hr or so with pitchforks,all the while adding small amounts of wood to keep the fires going. They would start this task early in the day before the sun rose,to be able to serve the bounty by dinner time.

Fast forward to today.

I love smoked chuck.I love it sliced or pulled, and I think I prefere it over brisket for flavor.I like the texture of brisket better, and the fact that a packer takes alot less time than a chuck of equal size.Chucks are versatile and come from a large area of the front half of the animal.I have injected them and rubbed them with various concoctions, and smoked them with different types of woods on a couple different types of pits. They are the "pork butt" of beef.They come in hunks as large as 30 lbs or in roasts as small as 3. I prefere the shoulder clods or chuck rolls. They are different cuts, but not by much. a clod

or a chuck roll

both make beautiful beef BBQ.

sliced or pulled

If you ever get a chance to get one of these fine pieces of beef from your butcher or packing house, try it. They do take 13-16 hrs to smoke, but they are well worth it. The price per lb of the larger subprimal cryovacked units should be between $2.25 and $3.00.

Smoke em like a pork butt, you will be well rewarded.!:D
    Last edited by Richtee; 03-07-2009, 07:24 AM. Reason: English
    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
    I found that in the early days,huge amounts of people were fed pulled beef at social gatherings and events.The cooks or pitmasters would have huge trench's dug often 50 ft long. They would then start fires in these trench's and then roll logs into the fires and start huge fires in order to get a coal bed for these Barbeques.
    Back in the day during social benefits (a "benefit" being a reason to gather money for a worthy cause, medical, personaly trageties such as funerals tornadoe losses etc.)we used to munch on the famed BBQ. The pit usually held one or two cut up heifers. Man! them were the days!
    Nothin like honest to God down home BBQ.
    sigpic

Don't let your meat loaf...

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

Comment

Interesting post, Dan-

I have done a couple clods, and I tell ya what- it's a great cut, and invite friends!

That beef looks fantastic.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Interesting stuff. Although I only have 3 chuckies under my belt, I think I prefer it over brisket. And you can get the small ones (3-4 lbs.) and get great results in a lot less time than as compared to a 14 lb. brisky.
        sigpic

Comment

Nice job Dan. I will keep an eye out for one.
          Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
          Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
          1 Maverick ET-73
          1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

Great post Dan. points

sigpic

Comment

Appreciate you passing the knowledge!
              Sunset Eagle Aviation
              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Bumpity Bump
                sigpic

Comment

Dan

That is absolutely a mouth watering jaw dropping pile of beef you got there.

Comment

Originally posted by Blowin Smoke View Post
                    Dan

That is absolutely a mouth watering jaw dropping pile of beef you got there.
                    Dan IS the beef mastah!

I'm very lucky to have Dan, Lee and Geoff on a comp BBQ team. We ARE formidable!
                    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I haven't tried this yet, usually use chuckies for pot roast or in the crock pot all day, have to get one to smoke. Actually, a local store does a lot of buy one get one sales on these here...

Great looking pictures there Dan!
                      Mustang electric smoker
                      King Kooker vertical gasser
                      Charbroil silver smoker
                      Earnhardt Jr smoker
                      Brinkman smoke n' grill
                      a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

Wow, thanks for the ego stroke folks! That was a while back wasn't it. Man I wish I had some of that right now.

I am sorry I haven't posted any smokes in a while, but I just haven't been doing any. But the snow has finally melted from around the Lang, and I do have a drum and a mini drum, so I have no excuses. Might just have to fire up one of them for the Big Race on sunday.
                        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Over 2 years old that original post it.... Just shows you the classics never die
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                            Over 2 years old that original post it.... Just shows you the classics never die
                            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                            Pink Thermapen
                            Purple Thermapen

Comment

I'm a huge fan of chickies as well.
                              Propane Smoke Shack
                              UDS