Venison Roast & Smoking Lesson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison Roast & Smoking Lesson

Well my youngest grandson is about 6 mo. now, and the DIL needed a break. She wanted to spend the weekend with her mom and sister. So my son asked me to come up and help him figure out the Char-Broil H2O smoker I got him this spring. I smoked on it once, but he hasn't used it for fear of screwing up. Made him do it, and I supervised.

While he got the TBS going, I rubbed an almost 3 Lbs. Venison roast down with a modified version of Capt. Dan's rub, and wrapped it with bacon. (He didn't have all the ingred.) The roast, ABT's and bacon wrapped tater tots for snacking went in the smoker about 11:00 AM, Saturday. 2 hours later, pulled the snacks out and threw in 6 ears of bacon wrapped P&C corn.

He was able to keep the temps between 230 and 260. Not bad for his first solo attempt. Used the Kingsford and some oak that he got from my dad. After 4 hours I figured he should check the meat temp. It was already at 150 degrees!!! I wanted to pull it at 145. Quickly removed it, foiled and into the cooler. The corn wasn't ready, so we ditched the water pan and sped the corn up a bit. Looks a little charred but it was fine inside. Didn't get any plate pics. Everything disappeared too fast.

While the food was smoking, grandpa was teaching the official taste tester to ride his bike. Isaiah is 4 and wanted his training wheels removed. We knew he could do it, but was having trouble starting and stopping. An hour later he had it down pat, and was riding all over. The future taste tester Noah, watches everything his big brother does, and the adults had some fun too.

Had a real fun time, and I think he's good to go. Thanks for checking it out.
    Attached Files
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

Double R....look's good man!....Gotta love dem grand babies!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Great looking venison, Ray! In fact, everything looks good including the grandkids.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Nice looking venison..I'll take a slice please...
        Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Nice bunch of food.

Comment

Thanks guys. The grandkids are a hoot. Spoiling them rotten is sooo much fun. Lol.

I think he's got it from here. A couple of his friends stopped over and there were no leftovers. Think that speaks for itself.
            S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
            CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
            New Braunfels Bandera
            UniFlame Gas Grill
            Lil Chief

Comment

Sounds like you guys has a great time and some great food. Can't beat that.
              KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Dang I missed this thread... good times, good food and good people- BBQ attracts all three it seems! :{) Nice stuff RR! And for the education angle!
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

awesome looking venison Ray!!! looks like it is nice and moist!!! thats what i call a bacon mummy wrap...
                  Charbroil SFB
                  GOSM
                  MES
                  Dutch Ovens and other CI
                  Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                  Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Just can't say no to that RR. Fine looking spread you got there Bud...
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Working...
                    X