Smoked Eggs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Eggs

My DIL loves deviled eggs, so my son wanted to make these for her. He stirred the coals up in the H2O smoker and threw in the last 7 eggs in the fridge.

We were following Dawn's (IrishTeabear) method. We didn't have any mesquite, so used the oak again. Strongest wood flavor we had. He used more wood than charcoal, trying to get a heavy smoke and higher heat. Kept it in the 260 to 275 range for about 2 1/2 hours. I think he's getting the hang of this.

Only one cracked. I peeled it first and took the pic. You could smell and taste smoke in the yolk. We each ate one. Then I fed Noah while my son mixed up the deviled eggs. The DIL and her sister came home and snarfed them before I could get a pic.

Oh well, you've all seen deviled eggs. He sprinkled them with magic dust. I didn't even get one. Doh! I'll have to do some more. Give it a try. Definitely different.
    Attached Files
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

hmmm smoked, pickled and then deviled eggs comeing up They do look pretty tastey

Comment

Nice RR...man they look good...
      Custom Reverse Flow Smoker, WSM 22", Blackstone Griddle 36"

Comment

Yeah them eggs are looking good RR. Gonna have to try those.
        Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
        Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SmokinLee View Post
          hmmm smoked, pickled and then deviled eggs comeing up They do look pretty tastey
          I'm looking forward to seeing this.
          sigpic

GOSM/propane
          UDS (Cam)/lump
          22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
          Weber Genesis/propane
          Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

My bro tried this a couple years ago. Interesting flavor... Hmm I don't know why I have not done it yet- I liked 'em. Good work!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

They look great. Glad they turned out well for you.

They have become a must have in this house. I have to fight my younger son for them.
              Dawn

New Braunfels Bandera "Grail"
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill
              1 Maverick ET-73
              1 Green Thermapen

member #38

Comment

I like the sound of smoky deviled eggs. I have seen a few posts around on them just haven't got around to trying them yet. Gonna have to get it done one of these days.
                KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Hey Ray, I just ran across another way to smoke eggs that just may give them a smokier flavor. You put them in a saucepan and just barely cover them with water. Bring them up to a boil, cover and remove from heat for 12 minutes. Run them under cold water to cool. When cool enough to handle, roll the eggs on the counter with your hand, cracking the shell all over, but leaving it still in place. Then smoke at 225º for one hour with your fave wood. I think hickory might be best for a breakfast dish, but others might be good for deviled eggs. Remove from smoker and when cool, shell them.

Comment

I've always just hard boiled the eggs, peeled, and then on the smoker(as cool as I can get it with smoke) until they take on a little brownish color, then cool in the fridge. Make deviled eggs or egg salad with them after. I am going to try cooking them in the shell in the smoker to see the difference soon.
                    sigpic

GOSM/propane
                    UDS (Cam)/lump
                    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                    Weber Genesis/propane
                    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
                      Hey Ray, I just ran across another way to smoke eggs that just may give them a smokier flavor. You put them in a saucepan and just barely cover them with water. Bring them up to a boil, cover and remove from heat for 12 minutes. Run them under cold water to cool. When cool enough to handle, roll the eggs on the counter with your hand, cracking the shell all over, but leaving it still in place. Then smoke at 225º for one hour with your fave wood. I think hickory might be best for a breakfast dish, but others might be good for deviled eggs. Remove from smoker and when cool, shell them.
                      Huh, interesting. May have to try that too. Thanks.
                      S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                      CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

I'm going to a big (500 booth) flea market this weekend in Clare Michigan and will be looking for a variety of cheap, used baking pans to use in the smoker so the Mrs. doesn't scalp me for using her good ones. If I can find a muffin pan (preferably non-stick) I'm going to try breaking eggs into the muffin pan and smoking them until they're hard cooked to see how they turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by MichChef View Post
                          I'm going to a big (500 booth) flea market this weekend in Clare Michigan and will be looking for a variety of cheap, used baking pans to use in the smoker so the Mrs. doesn't scalp me for using her good ones. If I can find a muffin pan (preferably non-stick) I'm going to try breaking eggs into the muffin pan and smoking them until they're hard cooked to see how they turn out.
                          It is hard not to grab the ladies good pans and pots and such. Gets 'em good 'n black. After a while the wife tells me to just keep it...score!! Great idea going to the flea market.
                          John I have done something similar to the muffin pan gig. Works great. I have done this multiple times. Here's the thread...enjoy !
                          http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...2774#post12774
                          Happy smokes !
                          Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                          Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

we have a butcher shop, that smokes his own stuff........48 Lang i believe the size is. and he smokes his eggs, but they turn out a darkish green........wonder what the diff. is.

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Thanks Ryan. Now that I know it will turn out good, I'll definitely be on the lookout for some muffin pans. I like the idea of putting them on English muffins.

Comment

Working...
                              X