Hey Walking Dude, This is for You.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Walking Dude, This is for You.

So I love WD's meatloaf recipe so much, that I have flushed my own. And before his showed up, I thought for sure mine was the best in the world.
    Anyway, I decided to try it as the filling in cabbage rolls, and here is the results. All I can say is FAN-FRIGGIN-TASTIC!!!! I can't wait to try this smoked.

Right out of the oven. Mmmmmmmmmmm!!

Man, I'm hungry again. I could eat 100 of these.

Plated with fried taters and onions, cucumber salad, and fresh tomato's.

Oh yeah, we topped the cabbage rolls with the topping in the recipe.
    Thanks again WD.

Tom

Dang, Gunny..pass a plate! I got 5 hours to eat real food, and I'd sure like to include that!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Dang, Gunny..pass a plate! I got 5 hours to eat real food, and I'd sure like to include that!
      Buddy, if I could I sure would.
      You're in my prayers tonight, man. Good luck.

Tom

Comment

Great looking cabbage rolls, Gunny! I haven't had any of those in years and when I did they didn't look that good.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

looks awesome gunny... who would pass a plate of that up??? wish i had m a plate a that... nice job bud!!! thks for sharing
          Charbroil SFB
          GOSM
          MES
          Dutch Ovens and other CI
          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Now those are probably the best cabbage rolls I have see in a long time. Kudos Gunner. Just love'em...,
            ---------------------------------------------------
            I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
            ---------------------------------------------------
            KCBS CBJ

Comment

Holy smokes Gunny! Those cabbage rolls look really good. If you are passing out plates...I'll take one too
              Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
              Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

Looks great man.
                KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Never used to eat cabbage rolls, but I would eat those. They look great!

Comment

They look delicious Tom!!
                    Keith

Comment

Just curious Tom. If you make these in the smoker, would you smoke the meat balls first to get them good and smoky, wrap them in cabbage and top with sauce in a pan to finish, or wrap the meat in the cabbage and smoke the whole thing, hoping to get good smoke penetration through the sauce and cabbage?

My wife isn't a big meatloaf fan, but does like cabbage rolls (go figure). How do you think this might turn out with rice added to this meat mixture to make it more like a traditional cabbage roll? It could be pre-cooked if necessary.

Comment

Man....Tom ya done good! Been awhile since I had some. Gonna hafta try this!
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thanks guys. We love cabbage rolls, and make them a lot. But this time I had to try this meatloaf recipe because it kind of reminds me of my cabbage roll filling, but much better.
                          Originally posted by MichChef View Post
                          Just curious Tom. If you make these in the smoker, would you smoke the meat balls first to get them good and smoky, wrap them in cabbage and top with sauce in a pan to finish, or wrap the meat in the cabbage and smoke the whole thing, hoping to get good smoke penetration through the sauce and cabbage?

My wife isn't a big meatloaf fan, but does like cabbage rolls (go figure). How do you think this might turn out with rice added to this meat mixture to make it more like a traditional cabbage roll? It could be pre-cooked if necessary.
                          I don't know for sure, but I think the smoke would penetrate cabbage. I smoked a whole cabbage a couple of years ago, and it was smoky all the way through.
                          I wouldn't add the topping until about the last 1/2 hour of smoking.
                          My usual cabbage roll recipe calls for rice, but I always thought of it as a moisture retaining filler, and binder. Rice is such a light flavor, It takes on flavor from anything it's cooked with, so I don't see a reason to use it other than those I mentioned, and only if you think you need it.

Tom

Comment

Wow.....how did I miss this!!!!!!!!!!

That meatloaf recipe is the bomb.......not sure bout stuffed cabbage rolls tho....lolol....but will show this to momma!

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                              Wow.....how did I miss this!!!!!!!!!!

That meatloaf recipe is the bomb.......not sure bout stuffed cabbage rolls tho....lolol....but will show this to momma!
                              I made this stuff... pretty much as written... rocks :{)
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X