Canning Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canning Question

I've only done a little canning previously but the neighbor gave me a bunch of cukes so I'm going to make some dill pickles(can't stand sweets). Looking at some of the posts here a step I remember from past experiences is being forgone. That step being after the lid and band go on, the jars go into a boiling water bath for a period of time. Is this an unnecessary step or is the refrigerated storage the difference?
    sigpic

GOSM/propane
    UDS (Cam)/lump
    22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
    Weber Genesis/propane
    Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

The refridg storage, Lou. And typically, I allow mine to cool before sealing, avoiding a vac in the jar (called 'Cold pack"). Botulisim loves anarobic conditions, such as vac packed stuff. The "hot pack" you remember destroys the spores.

On Edit: I forgot to mention, the food is "blanched" before packing- a dip in boiling water...
    Last edited by Richtee; 08-26-2009, 09:35 AM.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

All Louie doe's is put the hot liquid in the jar, lid & band then upside down to cool, the lid alway's pulls down. Never had any problem's. I just opened some of mine last night been 2 week's. They were real good.
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

There are other ways besides canning them. Refridgerator pickles are a good one. One thing doing either is to make sure to cut the blossom end off, it's really not necessary but that end tends to be bitter and be sure to wash them good as they are gritty if you don't. There is another called sun pickles but I wouldn't recommend that one.

Comment

Janice and I have been making our dill's in a crock on the cupboard for years now alway's with great results. We place the cucs in the crock and layer with dill and garlic and chile's and pour our boiling brine over top place a plate on top of the cucs to keep them in the brine because they will float. After 7-10 day's remove to a big glass jar and in the fridge they go we are still eating last years and they are great.
          sigpicJack

Bradley Original
          Centro Electric Digital Smoker
          Walmart propane upright
          little chief electric
          7 in 1 masterbuilt
          7x7 wood/elec/propane in the works

Comment

That's real close to what I make sometimes, and Lee's "refrigerator" style sometimes too...and the aspargus, and cauliflower, and...LOL!
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

For pickles We pack the cukes into hot sterile jars,add the BOILING liquid, and put the seal and band on. Thats all. Water bathing makes them soft and mushy. The vinegar is acidic enough that bacteria isnt an issue. The heat of the liquid should be enough to pull the seal down when cooled. If not, then fridge.
              Hope this helps.
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

If you are looking for a quick easy recipe that is the best I've found to date, try these.......................

HORSERADISH DILL SPEARS

6 cups water
                3 cups vinegar
                1/2 cup canning salt
                3/4 cup sugar

Add this all together and bring to a boil

1 large onion
                4 heads of dill
                8 cloves garlic
                4 tablespoons horseradish(the hotter the better)

Cut pickles length-ways and try to pack in jar upright

Start with a layer of onions, 2 heads of dill and 4 cloves of garlic
                Cover with a layer of pickles and add another layer of onions, garlic and dill
                Also at this time add 2 tablespoons of horseradish
                Cover with another layer of pickle spears and add 2 more tablespoons of horseradish to the top of these.
                Add hot liquid to cover pickles
                Cover and refrigerate for a few days

You can use smaller whole cukes without cutting them but let them sit for a few days extra before trying.

Comment

I think I'm going to have enough to do about a dozen jars so I'm going to have to hot pack. Just don't wan't to give up beer storage space for pickles.

Since I'm in the canning groove I'll polly do up some other stuff too. Is canning a popular enough subject to warrant it's own forum?
                  sigpic

GOSM/propane
                  UDS (Cam)/lump
                  22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                  Weber Genesis/propane
                  Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Originally posted by lcruzen View Post
                    I think I'm going to have enough to do about a dozen jars so I'm going to have to hot pack. Just don't wan't to give up beer storage space for pickles.

Since I'm in the canning groove I'll polly do up some other stuff too. Is canning a popular enough subject to warrant it's own forum?
                    I vote that it does

As a non canner yet, I would like to see a section here with a few instructorials ( hey I made a new term ) covering the basics.

Place to ask simple stuff like " Can you reuse the flat tops on the two piece jar lids ? "
                    Phil

Fun Tune , She's a Smoker
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

Comment

Originally posted by 1894 View Post
                      " Can you reuse the flat tops on the two piece jar lids ? "
                      No.Never.Dont.
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                        No.Never.Dont.
                        Thanks , that is what I've read as well .
                        Phil

Fun Tune , She's a Smoker
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxiCrcV_R9o

Comment

I just posted my dill making in the Gardening forum with pics.
                          Col. Big Guy

Comment

Working...
                          X