BigWheels Texas Hot links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigWheels Texas Hot links

Heres my latest sausage making effort. I started out with 22 pounds of pork butts.

With my Cabelas 1hp grinder

I had this less than 5 minuets

I used a recipe I found by a guy that goes by the name of Big Wheel, for Hot Links. I replaced the beef with Deer and Bison. I have a God forsaken allergy to beef fat

In the past I used the grinder for a stuffer, it worked ok to get by with, but for some reason the stars were not aligned right and it took 30 minuets to stuff 4 lbs of meat. I decided to break down and buy the 15 lb stuffer from Northern. Well I called Northen and they did not have the 15 lb in stock, only the 5 lb. So I read the reviews of it and 99% were good. It was $150 cheaper too. So I put the rest of the sausage in the frige and headed to Northern. Man the meat just shot out of that thing, no effort to turn the handle, I loved it. I got the other 24 lb of meat stuffed in about a hour.

Heres some of the links when I was a 3/4 the way finished stuffing.

Now I just got to get busy building that bouble barrel smoker.

And I can tell which you did with the grinder too. Some folk use the grinder for stuffing, but IMO it's FAR better to get a stuffer. For several reasons! Nice work, Ty :{)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Good looking sausage and congrats on the new stuffer.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Looks great. Hot links are coming up fast on my to do list.
        KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          And I can tell which you did with the grinder too. Some folk use the grinder for stuffing, but IMO it's FAR better to get a stuffer. For several reasons! Nice work, Ty :{)
          Yep, the definition of the meat & fat in the sausage is much better on the ones that were stuffed with the stuffer as opposed to the grinder.

Good job TyCobb. Did you mix your own spices, or were they from a kit? If not a kit, please share the recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by PantherFan83 View Post
            Yep, the definition of the meat & fat in the sausage is much better on the ones that were stuffed with the stuffer as opposed to the grinder.

Good job TyCobb. Did you mix your own spices, or were they from a kit? If not a kit, please share the recipe.
            Thanks everybody,

Heres the guys recipe as I found on the internet:

Bigwheel's Texas Hotlinks

5 pounds coarse ground pork butt
            2 pounds coarse ground beef
            1 cup cold water
            2 T. fresh ground black pepper
            2 T. crushed red pepper
            2 T. hungarian paprika
            1 T. minced fresh garlic
            1 tablespoon granulated garlic
            1 tablespoon kosher salt
            1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
            1 teaspoon whole anise seeds
            1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
            1 teaspoon corriander
            1 teaspoon sugar
            1 teaspoon ground thyme
            6 teaspoons mortons tender quick
            1/2 teaspoon msg

After much experimentation and help from numerous sources I have stumbled over the exact formula for genuine Texas Hotlinks. Goes something like unto this: Mix all the spices, cure, and garlic into the water and place in refrigerator while you grind the meats. Mix up the meats then add the water to the meat mixture a little at a time, kneading to combine. Run meat mixture through the coarse plate one more time and stuff into medium hog casings. Smoke or slow grill till they are done. Wrap in a piece of bread and slap on the mustard heavy. These things are so good the godless left wing liberal commie pinko democrats will probably try to make them illegal. So if your going to make some..do it soon. Posted to the BBQ-List by Jeff Wheeler

I've seen this guy on a few BBQ boards, he does not post much, but he was a competition bbq guy, who I think now is into chile competition. I use to eat these types of links in BBQ joints east of Dallas as a kid, hot links you buy in the store does not come close. This recipe is just about what I remember as a kid. The first time I made this I forgot to get the garlic, so I subed 1/2 tablespoon of garlic power for the two tabl spoons of fresh and granulated garlic, that seemed to let a lot of the other flavors come through more. When you go by the recipe, its got a powerful garlic presence. I like it both ways though.
            Last edited by TyCobbETx; 08-27-2009, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Hmm quite an extensive ingredient list... I can usually imagine a flavor, but this one's taxing that ability. Guess I'll have to try them...soon as I can mobilize a bit better.

Have to look up Ken's post and compare his ingredients. Of course, there very well could be large geographical variations too...

Thanks for the recipe!
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
              X