Turkey help - weather related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey help - weather related

It is currently snowing and we have 8 inches of snow on the ground with more predicted today. Tonight the overnight low is supposed to be 5 degrees, so plan on zero, and the high is supposed to be 25 with a 6-10 mph wind. My smoker is in the garage where our bladder tank (holds water from the well) is located. When I smoke, I place the smoker at the opening of the garage with the garage door half open to allow the smoke to go out. With the planned cold and threat of freezing the bladder tank and water pipes, should I scrap plans to smoke the turkey? Any other ideas on what to do? I have an electric masterbuilt smoker. Grr. Have had no snow for three years here in NE California and finally when I plan to cook the bird outside it snows and becomes a freezing winter.

I'd smoke as you have planned. If you're worried about the tank freezing I'd watch the temp in the garage. If it gets to the point you think it might freeze finish it in the oven. You could even turn a sink faucet on with a slow trickle. Honestly though, for 3-4 hours of cooking I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    sigpic

Comment

I agree, go ahead with your plan I've smoked turkey in those temps at Christmas in my MES (we live in Utah) so winter is no big deal
      Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
      Weber 22.5" WSM
      Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
      Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
      Weber Smokey Joe
      GMG Daniel Boone
      Pit Barrel Cooker
      Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
      6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
      Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
      The Vortex

Comment

You should be good... How big is the bladder? Can you cover it with an electric blanket?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
          You should be good... How big is the bladder? Can you cover it with an electric blanket?
          I think it is a 50 gallon bladder tank. The tank is covered in a plywood case with a heat light if needed. My husband things we should be good to go too. Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

It was zero Thanksgiving morning. I got the birds in the smoker at 7:30 and they were done by 11:00. I was expecting them to take longer but I suspect loading up the smoker with 6 turkey breasts helped them cook quicker. I pulled them at 160 degrees and finished them in the oven (so I could get some drippings for gravy) until they were 170 degrees. My family raved about the flavor of the meat. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ranchwife View Post
              It was zero Thanksgiving morning. I got the birds in the smoker at 7:30 and they were done by 11:00. I was expecting them to take longer but I suspect loading up the smoker with 6 turkey breasts helped them cook quicker. I pulled them at 160 degrees and finished them in the oven (so I could get some drippings for gravy) until they were 170 degrees. My family raved about the flavor of the meat. :)
              YAY!! I love it when a plan comes together, despite the weather!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
              X