Venison Backstrap Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venison Backstrap Jerky

Sliced up 6 1/2 pounds of venison backstrap, sealed in a Ziplock and in the fridge overnight with hickory jerky seasoning and cure. Here is the jerky getting some oak smoke with the grill running 150º.

-----

About 4 hours in a few slices were looking about right to take off and all were done a few hours later.

-----

Bon Appétit!

Thanks for looking!
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

Awesome jerky Marty! Love the design of that rack system. What do you think of it?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      Awesome jerky Marty! Love the design of that rack system. What do you think of it?
      Overall we are happy with it. We purchased the wire racks with the trays specifically for jerky. Not very happy with the wire racks, they have sharp edges on some of the metal bars on the bottom and have the pans all scratched up right away – not a huge issue, but the quality could be better. Will be taking a Dremel to them to smooth those out.

Second on the wire racks is they are not nonstick at all. Jerky pieces stuck pretty bad where I needed to take a spatula to them to get them off to flip them. I will going forward use our non-stick grill mats with these. With the use of the wire racks it is a really tight fit between racks all loaded with jerky – wish there was a little more space between they trays when fully loaded.

This is only our first run with the Bull Rack system but I do like that I can fit 6 plus lbs of whole muscle jerky in the small space. You do need to rotate the racks quite often as the bottom and the top racks will finish much quicker than the middle ones, but that is to be expected.
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Nice Looking Batch of Jerky, Marty!!!

Looks Mighty Tasty!!

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
          Overall we are happy with it. We purchased the wire racks with the trays specifically for jerky. Not very happy with the wire racks, they have sharp edges on some of the metal bars on the bottom and have the pans all scratched up right away – not a huge issue, but the quality could be better. Will be taking a Dremel to them to smooth those out.

Second on the wire racks is they are not nonstick at all. Jerky pieces stuck pretty bad where I needed to take a spatula to them to get them off to flip them. I will going forward use our non-stick grill mats with these. With the use of the wire racks it is a really tight fit between racks all loaded with jerky – wish there was a little more space between they trays when fully loaded.

This is only our first run with the Bull Rack system but I do like that I can fit 6 plus lbs of whole muscle jerky in the small space. You do need to rotate the racks quite often as the bottom and the top racks will finish much quicker than the middle ones, but that is to be expected.
          I was thinking your non-stick grill mats would be a nice addition also. Thanks for the heads up on that system. Great looking jerky
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            I was thinking your non-stick grill mats would be a nice addition also. Thanks for the heads up on that system. Great looking jerky
            That is our plan next batch, just wanted to do a full test on the actual product as we received it. Jerky batches from here on out will be made with Grill Mats for sure!
            www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

That's been my experience when stacking jerky like that...Although I didn't have a nifty rack like yours...Jerky in the center received little smoke and didn't dry well at all...

Jerky looks fantastic...
              I gotta get off my lazy backside and make some soon...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                That's been my experience when stacking jerky like that...Although I didn't have a nifty rack like yours...Jerky in the center received little smoke and didn't dry well at all...
                I think the fans in a pellet grill eliminate much of this and circulate the air in the cook chamber well...
                www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Son's were just asking yesterday for a Jerky gig!...right nice!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Good lookin jerky
                    sigpic

22’ kettle
                    5 burner gas grill
                    Anova
                    Hobart Meat Grinder 4822 series
                    F.Dick 12 Ltr. Sausage Stuffer

There's only two types of Beer: Cold and Free.
                    _____
                    Jim

Comment

Backstrap for jerky???? I wish I had the resources. My straps are scarce and reserved for the most reverent of meals.

The rack system looks cool, thanks for the review. I have been toying with idea of removing the center section of the full (or half size) pans and using the wire racks for suspending the meat. It would allow a lot more air flow.

One of my smokers is based on full size pan dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                        Backstrap for jerky???? I wish I had the resources. My straps are scarce and reserved for the most reverent of meals.
                        It was my wife's uncle's backstrap from an old buck, he was going to turn it into sausage and we told him nonsense, we will make you jerky with it!
                        www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Working...
                        X