Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dungeness Crab Season!!

Yep it's finally here! I just got done picking 5 of them
    For our dinner tonight. We will be having Crab Louie salad. Yum!

I will post a photo of the salad later!

No pictures of the real Crabs, sorry! Here's the almost complete horseshoe crabs I welded up. I had them sand blasted and then I pickled them in vinegar for a day. Sprayed them down with hydrogen peroxide and watched the magic! On bare metal you can skip the hydrogen peroxide, if it's damp out. The vinegar alone will make the metal rust overnight.

Next step will be to coat in Penetrol, then a coat or two of Varathane over that. Nobody likes rust bleeders on their furniture.

Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

GOSM, (4) Mini-WSM, Mini-ZA, UDS, 1967 Casa Q, StoveTec Rocket Stove, 12" & 18" AMNTS, (2) Mav ET732,
    iGrill Therm

i like it...got a bunch of wore out tools...need to try me hand on son...he's a better welder!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Wasn't sure they were going to have a season due to that virus that had things closed earlier.
      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Dungeness Crab Season!!

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
        Wasn't sure they were going to have a season due to that virus that had things closed earlier.

Domoic acid is not a virus. It is a neurotoxin that is formed by algae. Shellfish (Crabs,Lobsta, clams, mussels, oyster cockles, etc.) sardines, and herring carry it all the time, because they feed on it. The levels fluctuate, and testing is done to make sure the levels are safe for human consumption. It is more present during warmer water conditions as the algae produces more.

Thankfully the levels are now low and we can enjoy the bounty of the sea again! Dungeness crab is awesome!
        Last edited by dirtsailor2003; 01-19-2016, 09:24 PM.
        Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

GOSM, (4) Mini-WSM, Mini-ZA, UDS, 1967 Casa Q, StoveTec Rocket Stove, 12" & 18" AMNTS, (2) Mav ET732,
        iGrill Therm

Comment

As promised the meal!
          Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Looks good. I might have to toddle off to Newport this weekend with the igloo and some salt water.

Comment

Well who knew you could get food that good from home made crabs
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
                Looks good. I might have to toddle off to Newport this weekend with the igloo and some salt water.

Thank you!

Might? That's a strange word to use! I'd say do
                It! Stop by Oregon Oyster and pick up some petite's and throw them on the Barbie!
                Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                  Well who knew you could get food that good from home made crabs

Crazy isn't it!
                  Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Originally posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post
                    Thank you!

Might? That's a strange word to use! I'd say do
                    It! Stop by Oregon Oyster and pick up some petite's and throw them on the Barbie!
                    Bleh hate oysters, but will definitely get some clams/mussels for a wine/butter/garlic steam. Also if you have the time and you're in Newport do check out http://www.localocean.net/. They literally get their stock from the fishing boats RIGHT ACROSS the street. Get a beer, and order the Fishwives Stew. You'll thank me.

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
                      Bleh hate oysters, but will definitely get some clams/mussels for a wine/butter/garlic steam. Also if you have the time and you're in Newport do check out http://www.localocean.net/. They literally get their stock from the fishing boats RIGHT ACROSS the street. Get a beer, and order the Fishwives Stew. You'll thank me.

One our favorites. We stop there every time we visit.

Background, I have spent a good portion of my life just north in Depoe Bay. My family has a charter fishing business there. I deck handed since I was 12. Ran my own boat for ten years. Sure do miss the fresh seafood, but not the weather!
                      Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Great looking plate, and I love the horseshoe crabs!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Looks wonderful!
                          Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
                          Yoder YS640
                          Weber Genesis
                          Weber 18.5" Kettle
                          Weber Performer
                          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                            Great looking plate, and I love the horseshoe crabs!

Thank you!
                            Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                              Looks wonderful!

Thank you!
                              Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

iGrill Therm

Comment

Working...
                              X