Snapping turtle enchiladas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapping turtle enchiladas

Thought I'd try something different with this turtle meat. We butchered up a snapper a few days ago that my buddy gave me. She was just shy of 40 lbs. Big ole girl. He traps several a year to re-locate, and only keeps 1-2 a year. I can't find the pics of her alive in the tank, but here is what I did:

After pressure cooking it for about 25 minutes, I put it in the slow cooker with some red enchilada sauce:

Next, I made a batch of different sauce for the top:

Laid a base of sauce down so they don't stick:

Began rolling them up. The meat in this batch was from 1 hind leg.

My half with cheese and japs, Lisa's side plain:

Threw together some refired beans. Once again, my half dressed up:

Plated and ready to eat with a bit of sour cream:

Inside view:

I'll be honest, I doubt I will take a turtle this old again. Meat has a great flavor, but still tough no matter how long ya cook it. I'll take the smaller ones next time.

Thanks for looking!!!

Never had turtle. Did help one across the road a few weeks back. Hear they are good...just no clue what to do with 'em... other than get 'em outta the road.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
      Never had turtle. Did help one across the road a few weeks back. Hear they are good...just no clue what to do with 'em... other than get 'em outta the road.

I'll bring some to ya. Fry it, make soup, whatever.

Comment

I wonder why it was crossing the road

Originally posted by Richtee View Post

Comment

Soft shell is popular down our way.. I like your thinking tho..
          Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Oh yea, the meat looked real good as did your meal. I have never tried the meat I guess they say a turtle has 6 or 7 different tastes of meat.

Comment

Never made enchiladas out of 'em. Never ate the bigger ones either. Tougher to catch too. They didn't get that big by accident and didn't fall for the tricks used to catch the smaller ones. Hehe.

Mom always made soup. Like a chicken soup. Many of our friends ate it and had no clue. Good stuff.
              S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
              CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
              New Braunfels Bandera
              UniFlame Gas Grill
              Lil Chief

Comment

Got a friend in canada with a big pond - had a turtle that was taking ducklings.
                Think they eventually managed to haul it out and shoot it.
                Have to ask if they ate it - but didn't know you could and my sister didn't mention it, so I suspect they didn't.

Love the look of the enchilladas. sort of mexican canelloni :-)
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Looks like a unique combo for sure. Never tried turtle either. Herbie my pet Sulcata tortoise will not be smoked!
                  Keith

Comment

Love turtle meat. Never had had it Mexican style though.
                    We catch them on chicken liver, or while crossing the road.

Tom

Comment

How in tarnation does one go about cleaning a turtle?
                      Bustin that shell has got to be a bitch.

Then, all those different kinds of meat.

I've heard it's good but never had the opportunity.
                      I think there's a specialty seafood store here that might carry it from time to time.
                      I'll have to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by supervman View Post
                        How in tarnation does one go about cleaning a turtle?
                        Bustin that shell has got to be a bitch.

Then, all those different kinds of meat.

I've heard it's good but never had the opportunity.
                        I think there's a specialty seafood store here that might carry it from time to time.
                        I'll have to check it out.
                        The tough part is killing them. Dad always did the cleaning but I watched several times. Don't want to gross anyone out, but you can seperate the shell along the edge. Think of the shell as a bowl.

Yep, it's got white and dark meat too. At least that's what it reminded me of.
                        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
                        CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
                        New Braunfels Bandera
                        UniFlame Gas Grill
                        Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                          We catch them on chicken liver, or while crossing the road.
                          Heh...well the thought DID cross my mind... but like I said...WTF/HTF does one go about cleaning a turtle?!?

Maybe we need a toot for this too!
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Don't know about that critter, the one's we got in the Appalachicola River and up a slew are pretty aggresive. My Dad think's it's funny when i'm nappin...2 many beer's checkin a trot line & throw's one in the boat! V-Man....cleaning is not purty!
                            Sunset Eagle Aviation
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
                              Don't know about that critter, the one's we got in the Appalachicola River and up a slew are pretty aggresive. My Dad think's it's funny when i'm nappin...2 many beer's checkin a trot line & throw's one in the boat! V-Man....cleaning is not purty!
                              That is a fact! Very, very bloody.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X