SV Snausages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SV Snausages

Kind of like Merrell's experience, this past Saturday, I found myself in need of finishing some kolbasz in the SV. I was fine until the winds got up to 35 mph and gusting over 60 mph.

I pulled the snausages from the smoker and cut up for the bags and after the vacuum bags, I plunged them in the bath at 135°F and raised the temp 5°F every 15 minutes. I left them sit at 152 for 15 minutes and pulled them. then transferred to ice water to chill out for a while. I had a lot of gelatin and a little fat on the outside of the casings. I cut the bags open and wiped the snausages down and put them on a rack in the fridge to bloom and dry a bit. Today they are much better.

I had to package some up to share with a buddy from work.

Damn, I wish we were neighbors. I'm sure we could trade for something.

I also have a 9 year old son that is willing to work for food.
    sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

I’m gonna have to try the SV for sausage finishing. My sausage machine has difficulty holding 170-ish in the winter... and it’s always tough to catch the meat at the 152area it seems..and the heat is a bit uneven as well. I can see this working out real well.

Nice stix sir! Bravo!
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Look real tasty!! good snacking ahead!!
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Great looking stix, and great idea using the SV!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

love the pouches. very professional.

Not sure about the sv sausages - but I guess at the end of the day it's just applying heat.
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

love the pouches. very professional

Not sure about the sv sausages - but I guess at the end of the day it's just applying heat.
              But squeezing them in the vacumn pouch while applying heat could give you a fairly dry final product. hence the stuff on the outside.

Might try it later in the year :-)
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I hear what you are sayin Alex, but they are not dry internally. I had applied smoke for a few hours so they were partially cooked. Now doing this to a raw sausage might induce issues, but to finish, it worked pretty well.

Maybe kill the vacuum once it the bag is taught and seal so as to not over squeeze the sausages? You can also do the plain ziplok bag and use water pressure to force the air out (no vacuum). Maybe, but I am getting nothing but compliments from folks that ate some today.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
                  ... I am getting nothing but compliments from folks that ate some today.
                  And there you have it. Done right.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Well, While I have to admit it is sometimes hard to catch the "perfect temp " and have over cooked a few snack sticks........I'm not ready to use the SV to finish them.

What happened to the saying if it starts in the smoker it ends in the smoker?????

OK I'll admit I did ponder the idea for a min......lol

Comment

Nice stix! I can see this coming in handy
                      sigpic

Comment

i like that...don't care...me sv is a time saver for me...really do like that!
                        Sunset Eagle Aviation
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                          Well, While I have to admit it is sometimes hard to catch the "perfect temp " and have over cooked a few snack sticks........I'm not ready to use the SV to finish them.

What happened to the saying if it starts in the smoker it ends in the smoker?????
                          I dropped that old chestnut years ago. Sure..some projects do, but some don’t due to superior end results or just don’t matter where the heat comes from. You might as well finish a foiled butt in the oven and save coal.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                            I hear ya Bro, but if I can do something to give me a great end product, I will do it. I am an engineer and was taught the mantra "Work smarter, not harder". It's all good.

Comment

Yea I was just bustin some stones. With my home brew SV setup (Cummings engine block heater) I could use my big cooler and have lots of room for lots of sticks.

Comment

Working...
                              X