Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shrimp Wonton Soup... thoughts needed please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shrimp Wonton Soup... thoughts needed please...

Okay folks,

The Mrs said make this for me.... having never really made an Asian type soup wanted to get the thoughts of those experts out there that might have a hair of experience. Does this look like it is missing anything that will impart more flavor, anything crazy or missing???

Shrimp Wonton Soup....

¼ lb jumbo cooked shrimp, separated
    ⅛ cup water chestnuts, diced
    1 clove garlic, diced
    ½ tbsp soy sauce
    ¼ tsp sesame oil
    ½ tsp white sugar

campaignIcon

1 tbsp chopped green onion
    pinch of white pepper
    18 wonton skins
    48 oz( 1½ quart) low sodium chicken broth
    1½ tbsp low sodium soy sauce
    ½ cup snow peas
    ½ cup shredded carrots

Instructions
    1.Roughly chop the cooked shrimp reserving four of them for garnishing.

2.In a medium-sized bowl, combine the chopped shrimp, water chestnuts, garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, chopped green onion, and a pinch of white pepper.

3.Lay out several wonton skins and place a teaspoon or so of the shrimp mixture in the center. Dip the tip of your finger in a bit of water and dampen the edge of half the wonton. Fold the wonton skin over to cover the filling and use a fork to press down the edges. Repeat till the filling is all used up. (I got 18 wontons).

4.In a large pot, bring the chicken broth and soy sauce to a low boil. Add in the wontons, snow peas, and shredded carrots. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until the wontons are done and the veggies are cooked, but still crisp. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

5.Serve immediately garnishing with the reserved shrimp, red pepper flakes, and chopped green onion!

Thanks folks!! lets hear it!!
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Sounds pretty dang good to me... Make a few extra, I'll be over...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I cant help as I know very little about all things Asian...

Looks to be a very thin broth kinda soup...
      Flavors sound like they would play well together...
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
        I cant help as I know very little about all things Asian...

Looks to be a very thin broth kinda soup...
        Flavors sound like they would play well together...
        Yeah the pic posted online looks like canned wonton soup... basically chicken noodle broth....

What about a bit of fresh ginger root??
        Brian

Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

My wife loves ginger...I think it can be overdone easily...Seems to be a part of this kinda cooking more often than not...
          Craig
          sigpic

Comment

Never made my own Wonton soup. But I do like a good bowl of it. I have always thought about trying a little fish sauce. If I tried my hand at it.

Comment

Sounds good but I would buy raw shrimp and grill them myself. You can even use a simple brine for 30 minutes to a couple hours that really helps shrimp.

Personally, I use a simple rub like Magic Dust for example and skewer them for the grill. Grill at 400° for a few minutes each side so as not to over cook them. If they get over done, they become kind of rubbery. Properly cooked, they are tender and full of flavor.

The pre-cooked stuff is boiled and most likely over cooked.

Here's a thread that may help a little. http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15595

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing how the soup turns out regardless!
              Pete
              Large BGE
              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

[QUOTE=Abelman;601817]
                The pre-cooked stuff is boiled and most likely over cooked.
                QUOTE]

Yeah, I was not going to do that.... fresh grilled shrimp much better... I never buy the cooked ones any more...I not that lasy either...
                Brian

Yoder YS640
                Weber Genesis
                Weber 18.5" Kettle
                Weber Performer
                Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I would make some shrimp stock out to the fresh shrimp shells and add that to the base. Never had shrimp wonton sounds like a winner.

Comment

Thats NOT gonna suck!

I got nothing, but would love to try it
                    sigpic

Comment

We always have made the pork version. I'd serve the soy sauce on the side since some don't care for it and add in some bok choy cabbage (not a lot) for extra flavor. My wife always make at least 30-40 of the pork dumplings. They freeze well (before cooking). Also, she steams the dumplings and adds in when serving the soup. Hope this helps.
                      sigpic
                      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Yeah, prep and grill the shrimp as Pete said. MHGP is really good on them as well. Ginger, I agree, might be a nice addition... carefully. Looking forward to the results!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Picked up the wontons, and the green onions... had the rest on hand... tomorrow for dinner, along with a salad. should be good!

well double the wonton and put my kids to work on the line!!
                          Brian

Yoder YS640
                          Weber Genesis
                          Weber 18.5" Kettle
                          Weber Performer
                          Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

This is what I do when I have to make any authentic ethnic recipes. I use Google Translate. Works for Greek, French, Italian ----------

For Chinese:

English to Chinese, then copy and paste Chinese recipe and translate to English.

dcarch

---------------------------
                            鮮蝦餛飩湯

食材:
                            草蝦仁10隻(蝦殼保留)、豬絞肉100克、餛飩皮15張、青蔥1支、薑1小塊、小白菜1把、芹菜2支、韭 黃2支、香菜1株、油蔥酥1大匙

調味料:
                            白胡椒粉、魚露1/2大匙、鹽巴、醬油、香油、米酒

做法:
                            1.芹菜切末、薑部分切片及切末、蔥切蔥花、韭黃切末、小白菜切小段、蝦對剖再切小丁,備用。

2.起鍋熱油,將蝦殼炒香,加入3-4片薑片,再加入3湯勺熱水滾煮,瀝出蝦湯。

3.餡料:取蝦丁及豬絞肉拌勻,調入醬油、香油、薑末、蔥花、米酒、白胡椒粉混合甩打至有黏性。

4.包餛飩:將餛飩皮攤開,取適量餡料捲起,將兩邊對角折起包成餛飩(連接處沾蝦湯)。

5.備滾水鍋加入適量鹽,下餛飩以小火煮熟。

6.起鍋,倒入蝦湯加入適量熱水、鹽滾煮,去除表面泡沫,下小白菜煮熟。

7.取成品碗,碗底放入香菜、芹菜末、蔥花、韭黃末、油蔥酥、魚露、香油、白胡椒粉,將步驟5餛飩撈出放入 碗中,最後將步驟6小白菜蝦湯沖入成品碗中即完成。
                            ------------------------------------------

Shrimp wonton soup Ingredients: 10 grass shrimp (shrimp retention), ground pork 100 grams, 15 wonton skin, green onions 1, 1 small piece ginger, cabbage 1, 2 celery, chives 2, a parsley, onion oil cakes 1 tablespoon

seasoning:
                            White pepper, 2 tablespoons fish sauce, salt, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice wine

practice:
                            1. Mince celery, sliced ginger and mince part, onions cut green onion, finely chopped chives, cabbage cut into small pieces, then cut Ding sectional shrimp on standby.

2. Heat up oil, saute the shrimp, add 3-4 slices ginger, then add 3 tablespoons of hot rolling boil, drain the shrimp soup.

3. Filling: take small shrimp and ground pork and mix well, transferred to soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger, green onion, rice wine, white pepper and beat until blended rejection sticky.

4. package wonton: spread the wonton skin, take the appropriate filling rolled up on both sides of the diagonal fold package into ravioli (junction dip shrimp soup).

5. Preparation of the boiling pot add salt, cook over low heat under the ravioli.

6. Remove from heat, pour shrimp soup adding an appropriate amount of hot water, salt and cook roller to remove surface foam, under cooked cabbage.

7. Take the finished dish, bowl add parsley, celery, green onion, chives end, crisp onion oil, fish sauce, sesame oil, white pepper, remove the bowl of wonton step 5, the last step 6 Chinese cabbage shrimp soup bowl into the finished product is complete.

Comment

Wonton Soup = One of my favorite things to eat, and been making it forever. I didn't read all the recipes above and don't even use one.

Chicken Stock: 1 skinned chicken w/skin removed and quartered. One onion cut in half. 3 celery sticks broke in half. Few carrots broke in half. Put in soup pot and cover with water about 3 inches covering. About tablespoon pepper corns and salt. Bout 10 bay leaves. Bring to boil. Turn heat down to barely simmering. Skim foam. Stir in couple tsp tyme. Simmer for 2.5 hours. Skim fat and strain. Use chicken meat for something else the next day.

Wontons. 1package wraps. 1/2 pound raw shrimp chopped up like burger. 1/2 raw pork. chunk up some water chestnuts for crunch (BBB size (shotgunners know)). Mix in 1 egg and add a couple dashes of soy sauce. Wrap the suckers.

Broth is back to a rolling boil and dump the wontons in for bout 12 minutes. If Wontons look like brains, COOL - ALL THE BETTER.

Comment

Working...
                              X