Propane Smoky Hollow not heati good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane Smoky Hollow not heati good.

Had on highest gas setting for an hour. Finally up to 212 now was staying at 192. I knew tank was getting to low so switched to knew tank. Very windy today but have wind skirt around legs and windbreak as well. Now up to 216. Thoughts or guesses? Thanks.

Windy weather, the killer of all smokers... set up wind block...
    Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
    Yoder YS640
    Weber Genesis
    Weber 18.5" Kettle
    Weber Performer
    Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

weather is warmer and less windy in Bama.... just saying
      I'm no Gynecologist
      But I'll take a look at it

Comment

Possibly a regulator issue..but my bet is wind. No insulation on them either.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I am so ready for summer
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Well finished smoke. Put up windbrake and got up to 232. First smoke with a-maz-n expanding tube. Flavor is good. Only filled to about 9 inches of 12 inch tube. Got about 3 hours of good smoke and plenty left over. May order the 6 inch adjustable for shorter smokes. Thanks for the advice and input. Coffeecreek, I'm originally from Winfield Alabama. Now in KY and your right. A lot colder and windier up here. Any suggestions on how to insulate a propane smoker?
            Last edited by Bamafaninky@yahoo.com; 02-28-2016, 04:41 PM. Reason: Misspelled word

Comment

Ihave one..converted to a wattburner. Gas valve went to hell and I gutted it. I have been thinking on that cement board stuff... screwed on. Or some similar material.
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
                Windy weather, the killer of all smokers... set up wind block...
                A ceramic outfitted with a pit minder is unaffected by the weather gods. Neither rain, nor snow, nor dark of... wait a minute... wrong commercial
                sigpic
                Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
                -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                -AMNPS
                -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
                gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post
                  A ceramic outfitted with a pit minder is unaffected by the weather gods. Neither rain, nor snow, nor dark of... wait a minute... wrong commercial
                  Nor efforts to move it...

Comment

most of us with un-insulated smokers have a collection of items to help out. first and foremost is a good windbreak. over the years i have watched welding blankets, shipping blankets, old beach towels and even some outdated lawn chair cushions (yes i did that) being used.

There are just days when weather (Mother Nature) is a bitch
                    Last edited by crusty ol salt; 02-29-2016, 05:55 AM.
                    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

I have had the same problem with a masterbuilt. Definitely need the wind break. If you had water in the water pan try without it, that should give a little more heat. I finally got a pit barrel cooker so I wouldn't have to worry about the cold wind but I really like the gas smoker and still use it in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
                        even some outdated lawn chair cushions (yes i did that)
                        Use what you have. Old bathroom floor mats help some too.

Dave
                        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                        -
                        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Building a plywood box around it would do wonders. At least on three sides and the top. Leave a few inches of space all around and hang a tarp/blanket etc on the front and It will get up to temp.

Comment

Working...
                          X