Thanks Sous-Vide Once Again.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Sous-Vide Once Again.....

This cooking method has been really helpful for me so far, in getting dinner/supper served with minimal thyme involved on the day/night of serving it. Which leaves me thyme to do other stuff, work related or not 😄

A couple weeks ago I cut up and trimmed a full 9.5# pork loin and cut fairly thin (lean) steaks (which my family likes) and vac packed them, with seasoning, and froze them in separate packs of 4 steaks. Saving the trim for sausage. Also vac packed/seasoned a bunch of chicken breasts, and about 3# of wings. Trying to get a lil stock built up in the freezer for such days as today.

Today I had to head oot on a job shortly after Noon, so grabbed a pack of pork loin steaks, ready to go into the S-V and set them at 140 for 5 hours. Got home, put rice in the cooker, got some work done, then heated up a pan to high with Coconut oil. Dried the pork loin steaks and seared aboot 1.5 minute per side. Had salad ready, and of course apple sauce, so dinner was ready to go in no thyme.

Not Bbq, smoking or grilling, butt sure helps oot on nights like tonight. Plus, its fricking raining sideways and windy as hell. I like to have this tool in me tool box 👍

sigpic

I'm no Gynecologist
    But I'll take a look at it

Comment

Way to Sous Vide ya Crazy FishCatDaddy!
      Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
      Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
      SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
      Yoder Wichita
      Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
      Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
      Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

SV is a great tool to have fo sho! Lookin' good FishCatDaddy!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Yep, handy for sure!! looks like good eats too!
            Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
            Yoder YS640
            Weber Genesis
            Weber 18.5" Kettle
            Weber Performer
            Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

I know it sure has been handy for me.
              and froze them in separate packs of 4 steaks.
              I do the same thing with pork chops. I have also done a few where I do the SV cook, pull and put straight into ice water and when chilled put in freezer. Then you just need to thaw and sear.There seems to be a lot of detractors on here, but hey, I like it, and if you don't then you certainly don't have to use it.
              A few of my favorite things:
              Good Whiskey
              Good Food
              Bad Girls
              sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
              Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                I know it sure has been handy for me. I do the same thing with pork chops. I have also done a few where I do the SV cook, pull and put straight into ice water and when chilled put in freezer. Then you just need to thaw and sear.There seems to be a lot of detractors on here, but hey, I like it, and if you don't then you certainly don't have to use it.
                Yup, I do the same thing.

Yeah, there are SV nay sayers here for sure, I love my tools and use them when I need them. As you said, ya don't like it, don't use it. Period. This forum is multi-faceted with all kinds of styles of cooking... we're blessed to have all this information at our fingertips.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Sounds like that worked Great for ya', Scott !!

Looks Tasty too!!

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Yeah, I definitely see one of these in my future. I especially like the idea of having the meat done except for the searing. With the inverter microwave I have I could go from frozen to seared in about ten minutes.
                    Weber Smoky Joe
                    18" Weber Silver
                    22.5" Weber Gold
                    22.5" Weber Silver
                    UDS X 2
                    Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                    Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                    Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                    Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                    Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                    Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                    Blackstone three burner flat top
                    5" AMZNPS
                    Vortex x 2
                    Maverick ET 73
                    Maverick ET 732
                    Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                    Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                    Pitmaster iQue 110
                    sigpic

Comment

Very nice!!! Were the chops thawed out at all or did you put them in the bath frozen?
                      Weber Performer, 26" Weber grill, 18" WSM, UDS, Santa Maria Grill

Comment

Originally posted by Vermin99 View Post
                        Very nice!!! Were the chops thawed out at all or did you put them in the bath frozen?
                        They were frozen. Thats another thing I am finding is handy for me when busy, just toss them in and add another hour or so to thaw.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          They were frozen. Thats another thing I am finding is handy for me when busy, just toss them in and add another hour or so to thaw.
                          Yup... done that too. The thing is so versatile! With my pulled pork and pulled chuck, once pulled, I bag it and freeze it in 2 lb quantities. When it's time, I bring 'em oot and into the bath to reheat. I alternate using the simmering pot of water method instead of the bath... that works too. Depends on my mood and conditions.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Yay! Very nice. I love my sous vide.

Comment

Scott, it looks excellent .

Just so many ways to skin a cat and this is a great place to learn.

(not saying that looks like skinned cat mind you )
                              Pete
                              Large BGE
                              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Working...
                              X