ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ham

Not sure if bacon is the place for a ham thread but it is cured so sorry if i posted it in the wrong place.
    I want to do a ham for thanksgiving. I know it takes a long cure. So when do i need to get a ham curing and does anyone have a good reciepe I am thinking about doing a small one now to make sure a big one will turn out. Any ideas on how to test one out before i run out of time for thanks giving.

Gotta hand it to ya Tim... you go both feet over the wall don'tcha?

You have time for a small ham cure..perhaps picnic sized and "city cured" style.

I might suggest curing a butt- It won't have the bone like a ham, but will be just as good.

But if yer set on a ham... look for a fresh picnic cut- a front shoulder/shank type thing. We'll set you up with a curing brine, and it'll be done inside a couple weeks.

You would also have time to do a butt "country cured" style- if you'd like to try that. Even for practice!

Let us know!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I've never cured a ham but I'll keep an eye on this thread. Sounds like it would be fun to do for the holidays.
      sigpic
      Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I used a butt awhile back. It turned out great. The only other ham I had made was a deer hind.

Heres the Butt Ham link.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...highlight=butt

Comment

I cure a lot of boned pork legs (mainly when they're cheaper than shoulder) and primarily for ham.

Over here ham is pretty much any cured & cooked pork joint - generally bought presliced.
          To be honest I don't see any difference in any cut of pork once cured and cooked.
          I did honey roast ham with a small piece of shoulder a while ago and am doing the same thing with a similiar sized piece of boned leg (rubbed and put in fridge about an hour ago - with some belly for pancetta) Apart from the shoulder having more fat - I'd defy anyone to tell the difference.

I only dry cure fairly small pices of pork - up to about 5lbs max. So dry curing is the sensible choice.
          If you want to do a whole leg (full ham) then brining and injecting would probably be the way to go.

But you might as well practice up on a small piece of boned leg to get a flavour you like.

MY honey roast ham cure is very simple.
          cure salt correct for weight of meat - aim for something with less salt then morton, this is a sweetcure. I use 15gms per kg.

So for 1kg joint:

15gm cure salt
          45 gm brown sugar
          1 tsp coriander seeds
          dash garlic powder (not much)
          1/4 tsp peppercorns

Grind together and rub thoroughly over meat.
          Place meat in ziplock for a week (or more if you got a larger cut of pork) turn bag every day.

Once cured, rinse and dry.
          Rub joint all over with honey and sprinkle on coarse seasalt - not too much, but enough to notice.

Cook either in smoker (in lined tray) or in a cool oven in a foil covered pan (approx 200), turning once during cooking, until internal temp hits 150.
          Remove from smoker/oven and foil. Leave till cool then refridgerate untill chilled before slicing.

Note: if smoking - try and keep smoker between 160-200 - particularly for the smaller joints of meat.
          Might have a few pics of last batch. But as I intended to oven cook it I don't think I took any. (must have been a dream lol)
          Last edited by curious aardvark; 09-02-2009, 07:52 AM.
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

sounds like i am ok with any cut of pork might try and get one in the next day or so. Does anyone have a cure recipe.

Comment

lots - what sort of thing are you aiming for ?
              sweet cure, savoury, spicy.

To be honest approcah it like a rub. just useing cure salt.

I tend to use paprika, cbp and brown sugar as a basis for most hams (other than the honey roasted sweet cure). You really can't go far wrong with that combo.

If you want to get ambitious go for tips slaughterhouse brine (but you'll need a fridge big enough to get a bucket in)
              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Sweet i like the idea of the honey roast just something simple and easy OS i guess i should do a rub not a brine then
                Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                lots - what sort of thing are you aiming for ?
                sweet cure, savoury, spicy.

To be honest approcah it like a rub. just useing cure salt.

I tend to use paprika, cbp and brown sugar as a basis for most hams (other than the honey roasted sweet cure). You really can't go far wrong with that combo.

If you want to get ambitious go for tips slaughterhouse brine (but you'll need a fridge big enough to get a bucket in)

Comment

Working...
                X