Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chestnut Brown Ale

Brooklyn Brew Shop's Chestnut Brown Ale

The next beer that I will be brewing is Chestnut Brown Ale, from Brooklyn Brew Shop. As with all of my "Tips and Advice" threads, this will be a running account of the experience and the things that I learn during the process.

As usual, I'll start with the particulars:

Informational link: http://brooklynbrewshop.com/beer-mak...-brown-ale-mix

Instructions: http://brooklynbrewshop.com/directio...structions.pdf

Awesome, must-see video: https://vimeo.com/31829144

I really like the description of this beer: rich, nutty and mellow, with the added ambience of freshly-roasted chestnuts. It sounds to me like a perfect brew for this time of year, and I am looking forward to trying it.

I was able to brew this yesterday, and I'm pretty sure things went well. I brewed the beer according to the instructions above, with no real complications to speak of. Temperatures during the mash got a few degrees higher than my limit of 152 degrees during the first 10 minutes, but other than that, it went well, as did the sparge and the boil. The freshly-roasted chestnuts that were added at the beginning of the boil seemed to go really nicely with the East Kent Golding hops, and I'm looking forward to trying that combination with this northern English brown ale.

I looked in on the beer this morning, and while there has definitely been some fermentation, it doesn't seem to be as active as usual. Ambient temperatures were right at 68 degrees, which has been a good range in the past.

I was in a hurry, so I wasn't able to see the temperature on the thermometer that is on the fermenter itself, but I'll take a look at it when I get home from work this evening, and see how it is going. I've had a couple of beers that were slow to start before, and this could be another one. The good news is that it is indeed fermenting, which is half the battle.

As per my usual schedule, I'll replace the blow-off tube with an airlock in three days; I'll check on it each morning and evening, to see how it is going. After a total of at least three weeks, I'll proceed with bottling.

Here is the label that I came up with for this beer:

As always, if anyone has made this beer and has any experience with it, please feel free to share your thoughts, feedback and suggestions. If anyone has any questions, please post them here, and I will do my best to provide or find an answer.

Thanks in advance -

Ron
    Last edited by TasunkaWitko; 03-07-2016, 10:12 AM.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

I bottled this beer today - I think it's going to come out pretty well.

BBS's instructions advise 3 tablespoons of priming sugar (usually maple syrup, agave nectar or - in this case - honey), but they tend to come out over-carbonated when I do this, so I used two, instead.

Since there was just a bit left over after bottling, I was able to get a small sample. The chestnuts, malts and hops came through very nicely, I think, and I'm hoping that I end up with a nice, presentable beer.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Sounds good, what kind of malt did they use? Cara for the color?
      Cooking on a Kingstone grill, nothing fancy but
      always fun.
      Me loves some nice southern style barbecue... ah and some nice asian food ;)

Comment

Hi, GSM - sorry to take so long to reply ~

Yes, this beer uses Maris Otter, Caramel 60, Caramel 120 and a bit of roasted barley. I'm no expert, but it seems to be a winning combination!
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

I never had much luck with priming. The last batch I made several years ago, I obtained a CO2 tank and bought a couple of priming caps for PET bottles. Fill the bottle with beer, chill in the fridge, connect the CO2 tank and open the valve for a few seconds and presto, perfectly carbonated beer. Since I was drinking it myself, I just capped the PET bottles and put them in the fridge.

http://www.amazon.com/Carbonation-Ca.../dp/B01039C0Z0
          A few of my favorite things:
          Good Whiskey
          Good Food
          Bad Girls
          sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
          Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Working...
          X