Just a couple burgers out of the freezer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a couple burgers out of the freezer

129x6 naked, shocked for 10 minutes while the vortex was getting ready. Seasoned with Tatonka Dust. They were 85 when they went on the kettle. Smoked indirect for about 30 minutes with a chunk of cherry til they reached 120 then seared over the top til they reached 130. Topped with some smoked Colby jack, bacon, lettuce, ketchup and mayo. This burger was AMAZING!

Yoder YS480
    Maverick 732
    Tappecue
    Thermapen

I'm no Gynecologist
    But I'll take a look at it

Comment

Just a couple of burgers... ha.. you funny... those are a couple kick ass, lick your chops and wipe your forehead with a cloth burgers!! very nice!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Nice. Doing the same for dinner tonight. Along with hot dogs, two chicken tender favors, teriyaki and Smitty's. Can't wait for the leftovers!
        sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
          Just a couple of burgers... ha.. you funny... those are a couple kick ass, lick your chops and wipe your forehead with a cloth burgers!! very nice!
          ^^^^^^^^
          Yeah---That!!!

Outstanding Burgers!!------------

Bear
          Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
          Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Perfect! Thanks for sharing the process
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks fellas!
              Yoder YS480
              Maverick 732
              Tappecue
              Thermapen

Comment

And to think, that just a few years ago, you'd be ridiculed for holding anything at less than 140, for 4.....
                Not to mention, comminuted meat, no kill step.... This just reeks of disaster.... and turbo shits with 30% solids...... but hey, its just a tool.....
                Last edited by IrishChef; 03-12-2016, 11:37 PM.
                Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
                  And to think, that just a few years ago, you'd be ridiculed for holding anything at less than 140, for 4.....
                  Not to mention, comminuted meat, no kill step.... This just reeks of disaster.... and turbo shits with 30% solids...... but hey, its just a tool.....
                  IC, you bring up a valid point. I spent some time this evening reading what there was on the FDA site on Sous Vide. I'm also not attempting to torpedo BigMikey... I had some time and thought I'd dig into this for my own knowledge at minimum. What I read seemed to be focused more on the packaging and handling after the cooking but it does state that the contents of the vacuum bag (if properly evacuated and sealed) become sterile at these lower temps as long as they are held at that temp for a sufficient amount of time. Yet I read nothing about temps. Maybe I missed it, Getting tired this evening... After reading all that I don't think I would be cooking Sous Vide without a vacuum sealer that can create a good vacuum and seal. This thing about submerging a Ziploc to force air out I doubt will expel all the air and then there would be a safety issue.

I found this within this website... http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/t...ger.html#chill

Here's a snippet that may provide some clarity on safety... Keep in mind I'm not attempting to be a food safety professional just passing on some of the resource information I read on this subject.

Question: Can I chill and reheat my burger after cooking it sous vide if I haven't opened the bag? [top]

It's true that when cooked at a high enough temperature (130°F or higher) for a long enough time period (several hours), the contents of a sealed sous-vide bag should be close to sterile. This means that rapid chilling via an ice bath, followed by rapid reheating, should pose no health risks, but it does make it difficult to gauge the final serving temperature accurately.

Word of warning: Never chill and reheat any food that has been cooked or held at a temperature lower than 130°F. Temperatures below that threshold are not hot enough to destroy dangerous bacteria. Burgers, in particular, are prone to bacterial growth.

I have read this before on other sites so in my SV cooking I have not gone below 130 F for 4-8 hours on beef and 144 F on chicken. Lately I have been cooking chicken SV @ 146 for 5 hours.

Here is the FDA's information on Sous Vide and they refer to it as ROP (Reduced Oxygen Packaging).
                  http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegu.../ucm188201.htm

Personally I think it would be good to locate some official documentation from the FDA on their cook times for certain meats, fish and vegetables etc. as well as does and don'ts and pin it at the top of the Sous Vide forum. I have been going by what's on the Sous Vide supreme website. I assume it's correct but having data from the FDA would be an authoritative source in my mind.

I'll keep digging around on the FDA site.
                  Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                  Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                  SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                  Yoder Wichita
                  Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                  Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                  Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

I also think IC is bringing up a valid point.

Do the SV pasteurization times apply to ground meat as well? I could only find information regarding whole muscle meats.

Doesn't mean it's not out there. I just could not find any. If someone can find something and post a link, that would be great.

Also Mark made a very compelling case for 130° as a minimum cook temp.

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                    My issue with 129°, from what I have read, that is the low limit to kill most bacteria in a time and temp situation. Some like listeria it is 129.5°, so 130° is a safer number for me.
                    The FSIS chart does not list any times for temps lower than 130°. Again, maybe there is information out there on it but I could not find any. If someone can find something on this as well it would be good info to have and, as Rob stated, add to the Stickys at the top of the Sous Vide forum.

Not trying to call anyone out, just trying to get confirmation and safe info.
                    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                    UDS 1.0
                    Afterburner
                    Weber Performer
                    Blue Thermapen
                    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                    Auber Smoker Controller
                    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                    -
                    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

I'm not trying to convince anyone to go 129, you have to go what you feel comfortable with. With the info I've been given, I'm comfortable at 129 being my minimum.
                      Yoder YS480
                      Maverick 732
                      Tappecue
                      Thermapen

Comment

Working...
                      X