Smoked 'n Sous Vide Venison Summer Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked 'n Sous Vide Venison Summer Sausage

Did an experiment on some summer sausage and was very pleased with the results. Used 2 pounds of ground venison, 1 pound of ground pork and then added garlic summer sausage seasoning and cure #1 weighed out for 3 pounds of meat, gave it all a good mix and let it set overnight in the fridge. The next day stuffed the meat mix into 2 fibrous casings and into the smoker at 110° for an hour with no smoke, then bumped the heat to 130° and started applying smoke. Smoked with a combination of hickory and apple pellets in the Maze smoker for 3 hours.

-----

Then placed the summer sausage separately into vacuum sealed bags and into a sous vide set at 155° for 3 hours.

-----

-----

After the sous vide the summer sausage was placed in a cold water bath and then refrigerated overnight.

The summer sausage turned out excellent, the texture and flavor were perfect!

-----

Thanks for looking!
    --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
    www.OwensBBQ.com

SV is really a boon to the sausagehead... obviously mostly the cured stuff needing that precise EVEN temp that’s difficult to obtain with air heating. But even fresh stuff...165 perfect all the way thru..or 150 and TO THE GRILL!

I almost ALWAYS poach fresh sausage any more. SV allows the juices to remain around the meat. That’s GOTTA be a bonus IMO.

That stuff’s beautiful Marty! (And Tanya)
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Ahh Marty, that's exactly why we need to be best friends. I could eat that everyday. Warm hard bread, hot mustard. Maybe some extra sharp cheddar as well.
      Dammit...I hate reading posts just before dinner.
      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Great stuff Marty.
        Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
        My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
        @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

That's awesome...

I imagine the smoke flavor is there, plus you saved like hours of time.

I gotta talk my wife in buying one of them hot tubes.
          sigpic

22’ kettle
          5 burner gas grill
          Anova
          Hobart Meat Grinder 4822 series
          F.Dick 12 Ltr. Sausage Stuffer

There's only two types of Beer: Cold and Free.
          _____
          Jim

Comment

That looks great, by chance did you take temp when you pulled it?

And under vacuum it probably would not grease out as easy. Time wise it probably is close to what it would take to finish in a smoker.

Comment

Looks good got a question though, why put them in a vac pack? Mine go straight from smoker into water and are usually done in an hour. Maybe our machines are different.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                That looks great, by chance did you take temp when you pulled it?

And under vacuum it probably would not grease out as easy. Time wise it probably is close to what it would take to finish in a smoker.
                Never did temp the meat, had done some research on time and felt comfortable that the internal was there, and from slicing to eating it was.

I think time wise we saved a few hours off bringing the summer sausage to temp in the smoker and could easily shave an hour off the smoke time if wanted.

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                Looks good got a question though, why put them in a vac pack? Mine go straight from smoker into water and are usually done in an hour. Maybe our machines are different.
                We put the summer sausage in vacuum sealed bags as to not to dilute the smoke flavor. I am sure the smoke would still be there, so this was possibly an unnecessary precaution.
                --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
                www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Yes Indeed! That's gonna come in handy
                  sigpic

Comment

I guess... maybe smoke on the meat? Direct into a poach would “scour” the casing? But... hell I dunno.
                    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                      I guess... maybe smoke on the meat? Direct into a poach would “scour” the casing? But... hell I dunno.
                      They smoke and then poach hot dogs. Mortadella is poached. I've finished summer sausage in the smoker and a water bath and the end product was the same. I like it better cause my fridge smoker temps are very inconsistent plus it's really cuts down on time. Especially snack sticks. Give it a try some time
                      sigpic

Comment

They smoke and then poach hot dogs. Mortadella is poached. I've finished summer sausage in the smoker and a water bath and the end product was the same. I like it better cause my fridge smoker temps are very inconsistent plus it's really cuts down on time. Especially snack sticks. Give it a try some time
                        K. Next batch direct into SV unit,,maybe. Issue is “stuff” deposited in SV unit. Where that don’t happen vac packed.

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          K. Next batch direct into SV unit,,maybe. Issue is “stuff” deposited in SV unit. Where that don’t happen vac packed.
                          That'd be the only issue, not sure how everyone's machines work. I've got one from a lab that blows air in the water. That's why I don't have a problem going straight in. My water does get a slight color to it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah mine circulates directly thru an impeller and heating element,

Comment

Heck, I guess you would lose the smell in my basement while it is blooming.....but you could leave it direct in the vac bag for the fridge or freezer. Thats what I would call a lose/win.....

I am liking the idea. I tend to cook snack sticks and SS or smoked sausage of various diameters all at the same time. And with my set up I could use a 120 quart cooler and fit a bunch.

Comment

Working...
                              X