Elk Sausage Recipe's ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elk Sausage Recipe's ?

My good friend heard about my new found addiction to making sausage & wondered if I wanted some ELK Burger to play with in the kitchen for a 50/50 split. HELL YA I DO!

I love Elk & would choose it over any other meat, but I don't have any good (or any at all) recipes for Elk sausage. He suggested stuffing into Hog sized casings, like the size of a Bratwurst.

Anyone got any input on this? Cured & smoked, or fresh?
    sigpic

Keith the Bassman should be along shortly. He uses elk frequently.
    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
      Keith the Bassman should be along shortly. He uses elk frequently.
      I'll second that...Kieth knows his way around elk and deer.
      Pete
      Large BGE
      Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys! I normally don't use the burger for sausage as it usually has 10 - 15% beef fat already in it. Maybe we'll try this one together as I have a freezer full of ground elk and hunting season only two months away. Let me poke around just a bit and I'll find a recipe. Be back in a bit.
        sigpic
        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

This recipe calls for very lean ground beef. It seems to be a breakfast type fresh sausage, but could be adapted to stuff and smoke. As you can see this is only for a pound of meat but you get the idea. I would add some cayenne pepper for heat. Maybe mix up a batch and see how it turns out. Then work on soy protein concentrate and prague powder #1 for smoking. What do you think?

Ground Beef or Turkey Sausage

Ingredients:

* 1 pound of ground turkey or very lean ground beef
          * 1/2 teaspoon of salt
          * 1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
          * 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
          * 1 teaspoon of cumin
          * 1/2 teaspoon of sage
          * 1/4 teaspoon of basil
          * 1/4 teaspoon of oregano

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef or ground turkey, salt, garlic salt, pepper, cumin, sage, basil and oregano.

It will take a while before the spices are evenly distributed, so mix well. Use this as you would any bulk sausage. If forming into patties, keep them very thin, especially if you choose turkey for your main ingredient. Patties that are overly thick may seem too dry, as both turkey and lean ground beef contain less fat than regular sausage.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I think it looks great & believe I have all ths spices on hand. I don't have the Elk yet, but will try it with beef burger tonight if I get time. I do not have any Prague powder, can I substitute 1.5 teaspoon of Tender quick per pound?

Thanks to all for the input.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
              I think it looks great & believe I have all ths spices on hand. I don't have the Elk yet, but will try it with beef burger tonight if I get time. I do not have any Prague powder, can I substitute 1.5 teaspoon of Tender quick per pound?

Thanks to all for the input.
              You could substitute the TQ for the #1 but omit the salt called for in the recipe. the Tender Quick is very salty by itself so you won't need the added salt. Also use granulated garlic or garlic powder in place of garlic salt. If you're not going to smoke the first batch, you really don't need the cure, just treat it as fresh sausage.
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

I do not have any Prague powder, can I substitute 1.5 teaspoon of Tender quick per pound? :
                Yup and drop any other salt from the recipe.

I have made a elk summer sausage from ground roasts and about 20% fatty pork. Was 10 lbs done by the seat of my pants...cured tho.

I remember using:
                Mustard seed
                CBP
                Rosemary
                Thyme
                Red wine
                Garlic
                Onion

Sorry...just seasoned and tasted... then stuffed.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

scott

mix that burger with 30% pork butt it will be just fine then add your sausage seasoning i dint have a recipe for ya i use mostly premixed sausage seasoning you need to get your butt down to johnsons meat and get that cure when you are ready to start making smoked sausages let me know i will be glad to help you out with that

Happyness is a full smoker

Comment

Huey, thanks for the info..... I'm getting the feeling that the insta-cure is the "best" way to go? ..... And that Tenderquick is not.... I think I will start a new post on this topic to get some feedback. The new grinder & stuffer are supposed to be here tommorow. Hopefully UPS won't go on strike before it gets here.....
                    sigpic

Comment

NOTHING wrong with TQ. Just don't add more salt. If yer looking to control salt...yeh, go with Prague. But TQ will not make a "salty" product if used correctly. UNLESS you are used to lo-salt stuff..I will say that.
                      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks Rich, I did start a new thread on this topic. Not sure if it has been discussed before on here or not, but it appears there are quite a few people on here, LIKE ME, that are "New" to the sausage making thing & maybe some input on this from the veteran sausage makers will help ME & THEM out.
                        sigpic

Comment

Thanks Rich, I did start a new thread on this topic. Not sure if it has been discussed before on here or not, but it appears there are quite a few people on here, LIKE ME, that are "New" to the sausage making thing & maybe some input on this from the veteran sausage makers will help ME & THEM out.
                          Always willing to table what I know and have experienced. I cannot compensate for my tastes...very well anyway. Soo..take my recommendation here "with a grain of salt"

(Sorry- was TOOO freakin' easy...)

Comment

I make a lot of elk sticks and smoke them with apple. Good stuff fellas.

Tom

Comment

Hey Guns, old buddy - old pal, ?

Any chance you might be willing to share the "Elk Sticks" recipe??

Will dance for Elk Stick recipe......
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X